The Student Room Group

Extreme nerves :/

Hey, so I'm starting college on Thursday, and I am genuinely crapping myself. :frown: I scrapped through my GCSE's with 2A's, 4B's and 2C's. I had a pretty rough time through out the two years, having 3 spinal operations and missing s**t loads of school, And I found my exams extremely difficult. Every one is constantly telling me what a massive jump it is up to A levels, and every time I think about it I feel sick. I'm taking pretty hard subjects, Biology, Chemistry, Maths stats and English Lit. Please, does any one have any advice? Not sure i can do it, and anything you could offer me would help right now xxx
Reply 1
I won't lie to you, you are doing hard subjects and you will find it tough but you CAN do it, just make sure to establish a routine regarding studying outside of lessons and if you need help, and I cannot stress this enough, ASK for it. I hate exams, but it's just something you have to get on with unfortunately. Practice technique as well as making sure you know subject knowledge. It won't be a walk in the park, but I can tell you that it will be worth it if you put the effort in :smile:

p.s. you must be pretty academically able anyway for them to let you do those subjects in the first place so have some confidence in yourself :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by On-you-we-depend
Hey, so I'm starting college on Thursday, and I am genuinely crapping myself. :frown: I scrapped through my GCSE's with 2A's, 4B's and 2C's. I had a pretty rough time through out the two years, having 3 spinal operations and missing s**t loads of school, And I found my exams extremely difficult. Every one is constantly telling me what a massive jump it is up to A levels, and every time I think about it I feel sick. I'm taking pretty hard subjects, Biology, Chemistry, Maths stats and English Lit. Please, does any one have any advice? Not sure i can do it, and anything you could offer me would help right now xxx

Hey!
Don't worry about Thursday! I found sixth form tough but I really enjoyed it! Your gcses aren't as bad as you think! They're actually above average!
My advise would be to inform all your teachers about your health and that way they can support you with more lenient deadlines etc if things get tough. Also, everyone feels the jump, it won't just be you, and all your teachers will know that too! Particularly with your choice of subjects, make sure you understand all the content after each lesson, if not do more research to understand more or ask your teachers for help, then try and write up all your notes after every lesson or every week.. This will help you consolidate them and will aid as revision! Since there are no January exams, make sure you don't slack half way through the year and take coursework and ISAs seriously and you'll be fine (: honestly, don't worry too much about it (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
heya! try to go in with a friendly attitude, people will tell you differently but the most important thing is to feel comfortable and supported and have friends, at least at the start. you probably won't notice the jump at first, but it does build up eventually, so definitely stay organised and keep on top of your work! if your school doesn't give you exercise books/notebooks, buy some and write in them :smile: english will seem like a big jump but you'll get into it and get good grades in no time so long as you work. im not sure about the others, i know they're hard, though! good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending