The Student Room Group

Alevels choices for medicine at uni?

Hi,

I'm hoping to do medicine at Manchester University.

I have enrolled at college and asked to be put down for a levels Bio, Chem, Physics and Math.

However, I would like to change and do A level ICT instead of physics.

So, would these a levels (Biology, Chemistry, ICT and Maths) be appropriate when applying to medicine at Manchester University?

I've heard ICT is considered as a 'soft' subject. However, is it good enough to be accepted by UOM or is it better if I choose a different A level instead of ICT?

Thanks
Physics would look better considering you are looking at a) manchester and b) medicine, but as long as you have chemistry and one other science you should be okay, provided you get the grades.

Consider doing some volunteer work in a local hospital or medical related environment as that will look really good on your UCAS form and will put you in front of other applicants.

Most universities look at your three most relevant subjects and count your fourth as just a grade, regardless of subject, so if you think you will do better at ICT, and you enjoy it more then choose that, but otherwise I would go for physics.

Speak to tutors at your school/college and ask their advice.
That combination would be fine. Physics would be better, but the 4th A level doesn't matter as much. However, is computing an option? If it is, that would be a better bet than ICT.
Original post by paradoxicalme
That combination would be fine. Physics would be better, but the 4th A level doesn't matter as much. However, is computing an option? If it is, that would be a better bet than ICT.

Computing is an option but why is it better?
I think I wouldn't like it as much as Id like ICT but does ICT actually look that bad because if so ill pick computing.

But if ICT is okay, i would really like to do that as it would make me focus on the harder subjects chemistry and maths more and so the grades I get overall hopefully would be good..

I also got an a* in ICT and in additional science - physics at GCSE but looking at the physics at a level I feel I could get better grade in alevel ICT instead.
Original post by Nicole14510
Physics would look better considering you are looking at a) manchester and b) medicine, but as long as you have chemistry and one other science you should be okay, provided you get the grades.

Consider doing some volunteer work in a local hospital or medical related environment as that will look really good on your UCAS form and will put you in front of other applicants.

Most universities look at your three most relevant subjects and count your fourth as just a grade, regardless of subject, so if you think you will do better at ICT, and you enjoy it more then choose that, but otherwise I would go for physics.

Speak to tutors at your school/college and ask their advice.

Thanks for the info!
Original post by nikkinikki.1212
I think I wouldn't like it as much as Id like ICT but does ICT actually look that bad because if so ill pick computing.

But if ICT is okay, i would really like to do that as it would make me focus on the harder subjects chemistry and maths more and so the grades I get overall hopefully would be good..

I also got an a* in ICT and in additional science - physics at GCSE but looking at the physics at a level I feel I could get better grade in alevel ICT instead.

Computing is definitively more respected than ICT. ICT is seen as a 'soft subject', but if you drop it at AS, it shouldn't prove too much of a problem. I would personally recommend doing Computing, but look up both the syllabi and see which you like better :smile:
Original post by paradoxicalme
Computing is definitively more respected than ICT. ICT is seen as a 'soft subject', but if you drop it at AS, it shouldn't prove too much of a problem. I would personally recommend doing Computing, but look up both the syllabi and see which you like better :smile:

Thanks,

If i do Ict, i would be dropping it at as.

Im also quite interested in doing psycology. How does that compare with Ict or computing?
Thanks,

If i do Ict, i would be dropping it at as.

Im also quite interested in doing psycology. How does that compare with Ict or computing?

Psychology's a great subject. It's more respected than ict, about the same level as computing - maybe slightly less respected than computing, but for a 4th it's a great idea. It gels really well with science subjects, and the content is interesting (I start the first unit, autism, in two days) but there is a lot of memorising case studies involved.
Reply 8
If you do physics instead of IT, it means you're safe if you mess up another a level eg maths..
Reply 9

its not that important in the grand scheme of things but alot of Unis ask for an academic subject as 4th as (don't thin ict would count). And im sure every medic would think they can get a better grade in ict than physics but it doesn't mean you should do it , unis won't be impressed by ict. You should do phsycology a great subject which is applicable to medicine and will look good on application. Good luck.

Quick Reply