This discussion is closed.
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jiefei_ma)
umm, are you serious?
don't sweat. He's an idiot who INSISTS on saying the stupidest things on this board. If there was a prize for the bigest fool here it'd go straight to him!!!
02leah
Report 14 years ago
i'm in the same position as far as imperial is concerned, (and have applied for medicine) havent heard a thing, even tho is is so late in march. ive heard from everywhere else, and its so fustrating only waiting for one more rejection/offer. wish they would hurry up 2, just so it will all b over with soon.
let me know how u guys get on
leah x
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Finally heard from Imperial! This is the tosh they sent me :

"Dear Miss X

Following your recent interview I regret that we are unable to offer you a place at Imperial College School of Medicine. This decision simply reflects the overwhelming competition for our limited places. The formal notification will be sent to you via UCAS in the near future.

I hope that you will be successful at one of your other choices.

Although we are unable to make you an offer at this stage, you did well in your interview and we may be able to reconsider you in September for a last minute place if we have any unfilled places after the A level results come out. If you achieve grades ABBD in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Physics [in any order] at A level and if you are not holding any UCAS offer in August you should write to us asking to be considered for a last minute place." :rolleyes:
nodabooper
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)

"Dear Miss X

Following your recent interview I regret that we are unable to offer you a place at Imperial College School of Medicine. This decision simply reflects the overwhelming competition for our limited places. The formal notification will be sent to you via UCAS in the near future.

Although we are unable to make you an offer at this stage, you did well in your interview and we may be able to reconsider you in September for a last minute place if we have any unfilled places after the A level results come out. If you achieve grades ABBD in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Physics [in any order] at A level and if you are not holding any UCAS offer in August you should write to us asking to be considered for a last minute place." :rolleyes:

hey!
At least you got an interview! I got straight rejected (after about 6 months), and had a letter saying that they are overwhelmed by the number of applicants, and are therefore unable to give me for an interview. I called them up and asked for the reason why my application has been unsuccessful and they said it is confidential information which cannot be disclosed unless they are sure i am the applicant!!! This I believe is entirely unjustified and really a LOAD of (as you put it) tosh!
what i would really like to know is WHO they are actually giving offers to!!!
it is a whole big fat JOKE..
SAM*
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)

"Dear Miss X

Hey Lucy!

The cheek of it!!!!

if only you got tell them "well i'm actually going to Oxford so kiss me beep", I can't believe they did that! they've seriously lost out

They still haven't got back to me so i got my teacher to phone them yesterday and they said my UCAS form hadn't even been processed as yet as i am in the last batch! i just wanna rip their heads off they are so full of it! sorry! i'm just really annoyed at them!

sam
x
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think they didn't give Lucy an offer because she already has 3 very good offers, including one from Oxford.

That's why they said "if it all goes wrong, then don't worry we will try and give you a last minute place."

In other words - They gave the place to someone who hadn't yet got an offer/not many offers, and who would most likely put Imperial as firm choice.

They probably knew about Lucy getting an Ox offer.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nodabooper)
I called them up and asked for the reason why my application has been unsuccessful and they said it is confidential information which cannot be disclosed unless they are sure i am the applicant!!!
That's harsh :eek: They are probably just being lazy arses, who else is likely to call for your feedback :rolleyes: ?

Anyway, thanks guys for the kind words, tbh I'm not bothered (though at first I thought they should shove it up their arses ) as I'll put UCL as my insurance - if IC are handing out the offers to those who need/desperately want it then fair play !
SAM*
Hey!

I got rejected from imperial this morning- about time! i knew i was gonna get rejected i just don't know where they get off leaving it so late!

sam
x
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Unlikely given that information about the other applications (and the results of those applications) aren't disclosed to universities as of this year.

Of course it's possible that Imperial sat there and phoned every admissions tutor at every medical school in the UK and asked them to break the Data Protection Act to find out if she had any other offers.

I doubt it though.

More likely they just recognised her as a *very* strong applicant who'd be more than likely to get offers from at least one of her other choices and so took a gamble on that.
Right, is that why people have rung up universities and asked "why did i get rejected" and they've ahd replies saying "well, you got an EE offer from Cambridge, therefore it made sense to give the place to someone who will accept the offer."

Universities have often found out about whether a top quality student has had an Oxbridge offer - They shouldn't do, but they have done. That's why people who have recieved Oxbridge offers have been rejected from inferior uni's, in many cases.

Don't be naive.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hey!

I got rejected from imperial this morning- about time! i knew i was gonna get rejected i just don't know where they get off leaving it so late!

sam
x
Sorry to hear that Sam!

I hope you are happy with your other offer you recieved, and good luck for the future.

Don't let it get you down.
SAM*
(Original post by bono)
Sorry to hear that Sam!

I hope you are happy with your other offer you recieved, and good luck for the future.

Don't let it get you down.
Thanx!

But i'm not upset i was genuinely expecting it and to some extent waiting for it, it just got annoying more than anything else! I know i'm not imperial material!LOL!

sam
x
pkonline
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's true that Imperial don't like to give offers to Oxbridge students with offers. It probably because they don't wanna waste offers on people who ain't gonna come here and rather give offers to people who will which I guess is fair enough.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
Scientists also created nuclear weapons, thalidomide, the Sinclair C5, and Jo Brand's knickers. They're not all saints, you know.

Truth is we need scientists, but we also need economists to provide the money for their work, and we need philosophy/sociology graduates to tell them about how to apply their inventions without destroying the universe, and my god we could do with English graduates to translate their awful instruction book rubbish into good, clear English (why are scientists such terrible users of language?).

Feminism: by hypocrites for hypocrites
Who said they were awful? They're just used to a more concise universal language - mathematics!
jiefei_ma
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
Scientists also created nuclear weapons, thalidomide, the Sinclair C5, and Jo Brand's knickers. They're not all saints, you know.
.....and we need philosophy/sociology graduates to tell them about how to apply their inventions without destroying the universe.......
it was philosophists & politician who asked and funded scientists to create those stuff and used them as their tools

we do need to tell philosophy/sociology graduates about how to apply our inventions without destroying the universe....
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SAM*)
Hey!

sam
x
aww Sam, ah well, we don't need them do we ? Did you find out on the UCAS tracker thingy? The cheeky buggers still haven't updated mine which is a pain because I want to sort out my accomodation :rolleyes:
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
Who cares about Nerd College London. Bunch of damn nerds. Geeky swines.
My dad is NOT a nerd...he's cool. Although he does have a weird facisnation with rocks. But his interest in science is cool, he knows a lot of cool things...talk to scientists dont diss them :mad: .
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Right, is that why people have rung up universities and asked "why did i get rejected" and they've ahd replies saying "well, you got an EE offer from Cambridge, therefore it made sense to give the place to someone who will accept the offer."

Universities have often found out about whether a top quality student has had an Oxbridge offer - They shouldn't do, but they have done. That's why people who have recieved Oxbridge offers have been rejected from inferior uni's, in many cases.

Don't be naive.

How is Imperial an 'inferior' uni?! If i got an offer from Camb to do Ecos and LSE i'd go for the latter? Are you telling me that its inferior?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads