The Student Room Group

Generally, is it cheaper to live in halls or rent a flat/house privately with people

Since no one answered my last thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44322235&highlight=

I have took the initiative and tried to apply for student accommodation, but apparently its too late so I emailed my university to find out what I can do. Hopefully there might be spare places left for 3rd year students.

Anyway, I was wondering if student accommodation is more expensive than renting a house or flat privately with people.

It is really hard to compare as student accommodation usually includes electricity, gas, etc.

From past experience, please answer.

Okay I'm looking for a long contract.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It massively depends on location and other factors, but I've been able to secure a decent student house (for 5 people) for about £75/week. Halls was £105 a week. Add in the extra costs associated with bills and we're still looking to make a pretty impressive saving each month.

In general, I'd say private is cheaper, but you may be stuck in a 12 month contract, so you'll be paying for longer (even if it's at a cheaper rate). I was able to get a 10 month contract, so my accommodation is incredibly competitive against halls.
It depends, but given that
- private lets are 52 weeks, compared with 40 weeks or so in halls (though some private lets give half rent over the summer)
- bills are usually around £50 a month

I found that it was actually cheaper to live in halls, when comparing like with like (self catered, shared bathroom)

Posted from TSR Mobile
it depends on how much your uni is prepared to rip you off for halls. housing works out way cheaper for me, but my uni charges a lot more than average in terms of rent - £135pw is the cheapest and it's kinda far away from everything and shared with other unis, and the most expensive is over £200pw!
also generally speaking, the more people you share with the cheaper the rent works out - so if you were to share with say four/five people it would usually work out cheaper than getting just a two bedroom flat with a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending