The Student Room Group

Too old for university?

Hello all,

New to these forums so please be kind!

Im 22 at the moment and have just started some A Levels. I would like to go to university after but I shall be 23/24.

I left college three years ago but like many had no idea really what I wanted to do as a career. I knew it would be creative arts but not knowing what area int he creative arts. So now, three years later, I have finally decided I want to go in to Graphic design / communication.

I am now studying Graphic Design A level to rebuild my non existant portfolio. I have not decided definately about university but judging by research, mosts successful designers need and have a degree so it is a possibility.

Problem is my parents are very much against the idea and have somewhat 'old fashioned' views that you must get a fulltime job when your 23/24.
The father keeps reminding me I would be 26 when I graduate and by that time I should be settled down with a full time job even if its not what I am studying for. Sounds like I am commiting a cardinal sin!

Is starting college at 23/24 too old? I feel time is ticking to go to university as I want to study hard but also have a good social experience still in my twenties.

Just looking for some opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tearsforfears1
Hello all,

Im 22 at the moment and have just started some A Levels. I would like to go to university after but I shall be 23/24.

I left college three years ago but like many had no idea really what I wanted to do as a career. I knew it would be creative arts but not knowing what area int he creative arts. So now, three years later, I have finally decided I want to go in to Graphic design / communication.

I am now studying Graphic Design A level to rebuild my non existant portfolio. I have not decided definately about university but judging by research, mosts successful designers need and have a degree so it is a possibility.

Problem is my parents are very much against the idea and have somewhat 'old fashioned' views that you must get a fulltime job when your 23/24.
The father keeps reminding me I would be 26 when I graduate and by that time I should be settled down with a full time job even if its not what I am studying for. Sounds like I am commiting a cardinal sin!

Is starting college at 23/24 too old? I feel time is ticking to go to university as I want to study hard but also have a good social experience still in my twenties.

Just follow what you like. 22 is not that old for university. Just a couple of years above. No worries.:smile:
Not at all! The oldest person in my year last year (first year) was twenty five, with an adorable baby boy, and he's absolutely lovely! Great friend of mine! Noone really cares too much about age once you get to uni, trust me! My year last year went between 18 and 25, but everyone mingled.

The oldest person on my first course (I had to transfer, so I've done first year twice) was 43, so you're by no means too old! :biggrin:
Reply 3
23/24 is definitely NOT too old. It's really up to you and what you want to do. Lots and lots of people study in their 30s and 40s.
You would still be one of the youngest students. People go to Uni right up to and including retirement.
Reply 5
I have one person in his 50's and few in their mid-late 20's in my seminar group, you're not too old, trust me. Maybe you could get a part time job whilst you study? You're 22, your parents can't tell you what you can and can't do.
Reply 6
you're never too old.
Original post by tearsforfears1
Hello all,

Follow your heart and do what you want. This is your life and you only live once.

I actually got hit by a car some time in March and I thought I was going to die. However, not only did I survive the incident, I even managed to get out of the scene unhurt. All of a sudden, I felt so fortunate and grateful just for being alive. I tell myself that I will not do anything that I know I will regret in the future, and that I shall not live under others' judgement, which I had always been doing so. Since then I have taken up a number of challenges which I deemed 'impossible' before the incident, and it turned out that they aren't really 'impossible'. Now I am doing much much better and living much more happier than I was before that incident.

Believe in yourself and go for what you want - this is my advice. I know this can be difficult at times, especially when you have to take into account various factors, for instance finance etc. However I believe eventually you will come to a good solution. All the best to you no matter what decision you make :smile:
I hope 23/24 ain't too old cos i'm 40, and I hope and pray that I make it to uni next year. I never had the opportunity to do it when I was your age, I wish I did. Do you want to reach my age and then realize you want to go back to education? Just do it, I now have to hope I make some new friends, at my age, It's scary, but I want to do this no matter what obstacle appears before me. I know you'll make the right choice. Good luck whatever you decide.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Well I will be 39 when I start uni. Ignore age, it's just a number.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Never too late :smile: Aim high and let your dreams be a reality
Never too late ever!
I will be 32 when I get to University, so you have no need to even be concerned about your age.
Good to see so many older Freshers - welcome back to education, hope all your hopes and dreams come true.
Another oldie here at 48. 23/24 is definitely not a time to be settling down. If you are single and childless, it is a time for making the most of opportunities, taking risks and having fun. Parents don't always give good advice, however good their intentions, and you shouldn't let them influence you against following your dreams.
Reply 15
Do what you want to do because in 8/9 years you don't want to be in a job you chose because its a job and your not happy. I thought my mum and dad would be the same but they have been so supportive.
I went to Uni at 19 not knowing what I wanted to do, graduated and hated every job I had, except my gap year job. So at 29 I'm off to Uni again to do an occupational therapy degree- what I should have done all along! Start in 3 weeks and I can't wait. I don't care that I will be one of the older ones!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 32 and I start my Computing Degree next week. There is a guy in my class who is in his 50s as well. I would say that a third of my class will be what is classed as Mature Students. There is no upper age limit when it comes to learning and education.
Reply 17
Original post by Oldiebutgoodie
I hope 23/24 ain't too old cos i'm 40, and I hope and pray that I make it to uni next year. I never had the opportunity to do it when I was your age, I wish I did. Do you want to reach my age and then realize you want to go back to education? Just do it, I now have to hope I make some new friends, at my age, It's scary, but I want to do this no matter what obstacle appears before me. I know you'll make the right choice. Good luck whatever you decide.

I'm in the same boat as you. I start my BSc Adult nursing in 3 weeks time at the age of 40.

Good luck with your studies!
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm 23 and I'm studying 2 A levels for exams in June. Ill be 24 when I start, for me its been good, I've travelled the world and discovered more about myself and my career aspirations. =]
Reply 19
I can understand why you'd be nervous about it cause I'm in a similar boat as you. Only difference is, I'm now 28 and entering my first year at uni. I'm excited but also nervous about how I'll be received by others in the class who will be quite a lot younger then myself.
But I've just had to put that to the back of my mind cause at the end of the day I'm doing this for me, It's something I want to do and always have.
Don't put this off for the sake of others or because of what you THINK, others may think of you.
When looking back, people always regret what they didn't do, rather then what they did do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending