The Student Room Group

(Biomed) AS retakes question - do Unis mind?

Hey TSRians,

This year on AS results day, I achieved the following:

A - Biology
B - Maths (Mech)
B - Physics
C - Chemistry

I had really hoped to do Medicine, but was advised to do biomedicine instead due to my grades, but I really don't mind this.

However my question is, do universities mind if I were to resit some AS modules so I can bump up my grades at A2?

I was predicted AABB this year, however I was a few marks off of an A in physics, along with a few marks off a B in Chemistry.

The universities I'm really striving to go to are Kings and UCL to give you an idea, however I couldn't seem to find any information regarding retakes.

I'd appreciate any help you guys are able to give me.

Bixel
Reply 1
Original post by Bixel
Hey TSRians,

This year on AS results day, I achieved the following:

A - Biology
B - Maths (Mech)
B - Physics
C - Chemistry

I had really hoped to do Medicine, but was advised to do biomedicine instead due to my grades, but I really don't mind this.

However my question is, do universities mind if I were to resit some AS modules so I can bump up my grades at A2?

I was predicted AABB this year, however I was a few marks off of an A in physics, along with a few marks off a B in Chemistry.

The universities I'm really striving to go to are Kings and UCL to give you an idea, however I couldn't seem to find any information regarding retakes.

I'd appreciate any help you guys are able to give me.

Bixel

As far as I'm aware, modular resits are generally fine provided they are done within the two years over which you complete the A Level. You could email KCL and UCL to be on the safe side though.

With regards to not applying for medicine - if you're happy to apply for biomed instead of medicine, then that's fine. But if you really do want to apply for medicine and you think you could achieve AAA at A Level, you could ask your teachers to predict you AAA and apply this year. Alternatively, you could apply next year with achieved grades.

Quick Reply