This discussion is closed.
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I'm slightly confused about this.

Can a replica 9mm blank firer be loaded with normal real 9mm bullets and fire them? It said somthing on the news about them having to be "converted" to fire them, but I don't really get it.

Anyone explain?
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by roseonthegrave)

Can a replica 9mm blank firer be loaded with normal real 9mm bullets and fire them? It said somthing on the news about them having to be "converted" to fire them, but I don't really get it.

Anyone explain?
blank firers need blanks.

normal bullets can be used if the blank guns are converted somehow (im not sure of the details)
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
blank firers need blanks.

normal bullets can be used if the blank guns are converted somehow (im not sure of the details)
Thats the part thats a bit hazy. A blank 9mm bullet is exacly like a 9mm bullet dimention-wise - so why wouldn't it fire a live round?
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thats the part thats a bit hazy. A blank 9mm bullet is exacly like a 9mm bullet dimention-wise - so why wouldn't it fire a live round?
theres no live bullet, its just gunpowder and a bit on the end (where the actual bullet would be) that doesnt really cause harm (unless youre close).

i think its cardboard or something.
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
theres no live bullet, its just gunpowder and a bit on the end (where the actual bullet would be) that doesnt really cause harm (unless youre close).

i think its cardboard or something.
Yeah, It's tissue paper apparently. But we're going round in circles if it can fire paper, why not a live round? anyone? lol
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, It's tissue paper apparently. But we're going round in circles if it can fire paper, why not a live round? anyone? lol
something to do with hte amount of gunpoweder? also, the tissue is quite malleable so it can bend with the barrel, whereas a solid bullet cannot ?

tbh im not quite sure.
salmiak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
maybe to do with the rifling of the barrel?
101mphfastball
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you were to place a live round in a blank firer for example a M92F 8mm semi-automatic Berretta produced by Brunei, you would probably blow your hand off. Blank firers are made of only hardened metal not gun metal. Not only that if you were to look closely down the barrel you would find it is not hollow and a live round cannot enter. If it was hollow you'd essentially have a live firing weapon.
Most blanks that can easily be bought in the UK are dischargless, they are lound, make sparks and smoke, but no more.

Hope that answers your question.
Oh and never play with live firing weapons, you might just shoot yourself.
Also don't play Russian Roulette, cause it works.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i thought this thread was about something much different
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Hehe.. I can read your mind.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Hehe.. I can read your mind.
yes lol i dont usually post things like that, but it seemed to obvious what it was about...
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes lol i dont usually post things like that, but it seemed to obvious what it was about...
I think I just watched Shanghai Noon where they were talking about stuff like that. I don't post stuff like that too.. but this one was too tempting. Okay we should close the topic here before it changes to that. Hehe.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
I think I just watched Shanghai Noon where they were talking about stuff like that. I don't post stuff like that too.. but this one was too tempting. Okay we should close the topic here before it changes to that. Hehe.
yes i agree. lol i dont know anything about blank shooting or w/e. Opps! that sounded even worse lol.
Phil_C
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 101mphfastball)
If you were to place a live round in a blank firer for example a M92F 8mm semi-automatic Berretta produced by Brunei, you would probably blow your hand off. Blank firers are made of only hardened metal not gun metal. Not only that if you were to look closely down the barrel you would find it is not hollow and a live round cannot enter. If it was hollow you'd essentially have a live firing weapon.
Most blanks that can easily be bought in the UK are dischargless, they are lound, make sparks and smoke, but no more.

Hope that answers your question.
Oh and never play with live firing weapons, you might just shoot yourself.
Also don't play Russian Roulette, cause it works.
Quite agree with the above, the "white metal" can't take the force of a live round even if you were to drill out the plug in the blank firing barrel.

So they still sell the 8mm berrettas then. sold mine years ago when I left school. Wonder what it's being used for now? £50 for the weapon and £10 per 100 rounds was very steep for an A-Level student without a job!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Phil_C)
Quite agree with the above, the "white metal" can't take the force of a live round even if you were to drill out the plug in the blank firing barrel.

So they still sell the 8mm berrettas then. sold mine years ago when I left school. Wonder what it's being used for now? £50 for the weapon and £10 per 100 rounds was very steep for an A-Level student without a job!
here's a did you know...
If you ever buy an old gun for some reason that dates back to the 40s or 30s, you should always have it checked by a gun expert before firing it. (this is more relevant to amercans where you can own handguns). Especially if it has a Nazi marking on it.
The reason? The Nazis put a lot of Jews to work in gun and ammo factories, and they soon figured out how to 'mis manufacture' the weapons so that when they were fired a few times they would end up blowing their hand/own head off.
J
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
dont blank bullets have the ends pushed in to a cross type shape? got some upstairs,

basically a blank firing gun just ejects the shell like a proper gun,
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Anyone explain?

Its pretty irrelevant anyway. Replica guns with blanks in them will kill at close range. If anybody has seen the film 'snatch' where Vinny Jones realises the black guys have replicas, in the real world if they would have used them from that range, it would have killed good old Vinny.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by salmiak)
maybe to do with the rifling of the barrel?
doubt it.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
dont blank bullets have the ends pushed in to a cross type shape? got some upstairs,

basically a blank firing gun just ejects the shell like a proper gun,
if ones held against someones head the high pressure gas coming out of the barrel will kill someone anyway.
sparkler
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol, me too!

low sperm counts, anyone!?

X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.05%
No (521)
65.95%

Watched Threads