Why are divorce rates so high compared to previous generations?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What do you think is the reason behind a rise in divorce rates?

Do you think that early marriages(19 to 22/23)are a bad decision as people are still developing(maturity,rational thinking,career stability, who they actually are and what they want from life)? Is there a high chance of it leading to divorce later?

Or do you believe the rising divorce rates have other reasons behind them? After all, our grandparents generation married early but yet they managed to sustain it. Do you believe that people do not take marriage seriously and do not try to resolve problems which have arisen and choose the easy way out? Or do you believe there ate other reasons behind this rising divorce rate such as the changing role if the woman, growing secularisation etc. Do you believe that this is contributing to the fall of western society along with liberalisation ?
Sammy Lanka
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Do you think that early marriages(19 to 22/23)are a bad decision as people are still developing(maturity,rational thinking,career stability, who they actually are and what they want from life)? Is there a high chance of it leading to divorce later?
People in the UK used to get married at 13/14 years old so I don't think that's the reason. I think that increasing women's rights give them a higher opinion of themselves (which is how it should be) and makes the more argumentative (again nothing wrong there)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Women being able to stand on their own feet more is definitely a factor - I think women instigate most divorces where you'd assume previously a lot of those would have had to tough it out. Also the weakening of religion - you're more likely to work through things if you believe an all powerful being has pushed you together than if you just got married in a church because everyone else does it. Divorces becoming more common would also make it seem a more acceptable course of action - you wouldn't want to be one in a hundred who got divorced, but right now it's about a 40% chance of breaking down so you don't feel as much of a failure.
SuziieB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's much less frowned on. My mum who is a very religious Christian is going to divorce my dad but many years ago, that would have been unheard of. These days everyone divorces, even pastors and other religious figures so I think there is definitely more approval.

Also the very high expectations of married life. People expect a rosy, happy marriage where there are no arguments and no one has to compromise anything. If you're going to get married, be aware of the bad sides; seeing the same damn face every day, sharing the same room (and bathroom), no real privacy and personality differences. It's no walk in the park.

Women can afford to divorce seeing as generally the courts are somehow now in their favour or the government would support them if they don't have a job. Then, divorcing a man would be a death sentence as they and their children would be plunged into poverty and would have very little choices in life. Hence why apparently most divorces these days are instigated by women.

Just my opinion from my own observations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blue56
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
More legal access, more independence for women and less stigma.
Daniellejo.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Less focus on religion.
Not really considered taboo anymore.
More gender equality.
tylerk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As above, women now have an equal say in whether a marriage will shatter or not.

That being said, there are clearly other factors such as the evolution of society that would have been rare generations ago i.e. development of nightlife, different means of communication to date, a growing experimental society. Not entirely confident on my response, but just a few thoughts.
Clayton2k14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Daniellejo.)
Less focus on religion.
Not really considered taboo anymore.
More gender equality.
What that kid sed, although divorce was a bit of a taboo subject up until the 70's and 80's I'd say, not that it stopped them in the 16th century tho, look at Henry VIII. Lol
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It could have something to do with the fact that men are massive whores and women will no longer put up with it.

Just saying
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because divorces are actually legal now. before you could get the marriage anulled for various reasons but that was it. Plus the longer divorce is allowed, the less of a social stigma there is attached to it. Whe divorce was first allowed I think a lot of people were still religious and attended church whereas now, few people attend church and quite a few people get married at registary offices and hotels.
brendonbackflip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Or do you believe the rising divorce rates have other reasons behind them? After all, our grandparents generation married early but yet they managed to sustain it. Do you believe that people do not take marriage seriously and do not try to resolve problems which have arisen and choose the easy way out? Or do you believe there ate other reasons behind this rising divorce rate such as the changing role if the woman, growing secularisation etc. Do you believe that this is contributing to the fall of western society along with liberalisation ?
I don't personally think early marriages have caused a rise - it is proven that you are likely to get divorced if you're younger, but considering the average age of marriage is something like 30 for men/28 for women, much higher than before, then that wouldn't make sense to be the cause of a rise in divorce. The reasons why marriage age has increased are similar to high divorce rates imo.

I think it is because of the changing role of women and secularisation though. It used to be incredibly frowned upon to get a divorce, but considering many people are not as religious, there is less of a 'god' factor which plays into the decision of getting married, and therefore divorced. And then, women are not as financially dependable on men anymore, they can get there own jobs and be independant easily (its why I think marriage age is higher). Women do cause a lot of divorces (75% initiate them I think) and thats probably to do with not wanting to deal with empty shell marriages any longer, domestic violence, being able to control their own lives a lot better than before.

Also, people are living longer. Divorce in old age is far more prominent. Lots of experts believe serial monogamy will become a thing, as people are far less likely to stick with one partner for the rest of their life. Put it this way - when it was likely your partner was going to die within ten years, its unlikely you'd be bothered enough, particularly with religious and social reasons, to divorce. Now many people are living through their 80s, 90s, even 100s, there's a far bigger chance you'll get sick of your partner the more you're with them.

I don't think it's such a bad thing to the extent you're questioning ("the fall of Western society"). Obviously it depends person to person, marriage to marriage, but generally divorce is happening over problems that in the past would have been ignored and this is good. You're acting its like a bad thing, but living in an empty shell marriage is not nice for either partner mostly, and can have a bad effect on the child if they can see their parents not loving each over in a way a marriage should. Then there are worse problems like abuse against partners, that's not something you should try and resolve, its common knowledge to just leave if that happens. Divorce, imo, is happening for the right reasons (obviously there are exceptions of people taking marriage and divorce seriously, you can't really tell how many of these people there are, particularly by only using divorce rates) - people want to be in happier marriages. On that note, marriage isn't something thats going out of fashion, its still a popular institution. There's more marriages than ever before, there's just more divorces too.

Anyway, thats my Sociology AS knowledge coming in use.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Basically, society used to bully people, mainly women, into staying in unhappy marriages; legally, socially, through employment, etc. The fact this has ended is nothing to regret.
username418231
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mankytoes)
Basically, society used to bully people, mainly women, into staying in unhappy marriages; legally, socially, through employment, etc. The fact this has ended is nothing to regret.
Hahaha this.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in previous generations divorce was more taboo. so couples were not necessarily more happy in their marriages, but they didn't end them because that simply wasn't the done thing. now that divorce is more accepted, and the fact that people generally have had more relationships before marriage than in previous generations, means more people are willing to bail on an unhappy marriage.

whether this is a good thing or not, I don't know. it is probably better for the couples, since they don't have to suck it up and remain in an unhappy marriage, but divorce may be detrimental to children (although being raised in a volatile household could be worse than the parents getting divorced)
danny111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Divorce is much more accepted these days.
Ham22
Report 7 years ago
The passion and romance dies, people age, become grumpy, the flatulence is no longer cute, hair has worked it way across the length and breadth of the back, they wake up and think, 'wtf'? Divorce ensues.
Olaf_Anders
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ham22)
The passion and romance dies, people age, become grumpy, the flatulence is no longer cute, hair has worked it way across the length and breadth of the back, they wake up and think, 'wtf'? Divorce ensues.
hahaha, a hilarious explanation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (101)
28.13%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.16%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.37%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.06%

Watched Threads