Are footballer's salaries ludicrous?

Watch this thread
Gutterflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi!

Sorry if a similar thread has been posted before, admittedly I haven't checked. Before I ask my question, I just want to say that I'm not hating on football or trying to be disrespectful to fans and players!

Do you think the salaries that footballers earn are ridiculous or deserved?

I saw a website yesterday stating how much Gareth Bale will earn at Real Madrid and how much he's earnt since he signed for them, without having played a game yet.

I can't help but feel that with the country's economy in such a diabolical situation, how can we warrant paying people such astronomical amounts of money to run around on a field for 90 minutes, once a week? (Yes, I know they have to train hard, are invaded by the media, donate to charity and work with sponsors etc, but really?!)

Again, I'm not trying to bash football and I know footballers' wages wouldn't solve the economical and financial crisis we're in but when there's so much poverty, problems and failings in the world, why pay such huge fees and wages to footballers?

All opinions greatly appreciated and received!

Gx
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Economics. Supply and demand etc. Look into it.
Tuya
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Tbh, I wouldn't be that mad if each one was forced to raise at least the equivalent of 10% of their earnings for charity.
But yes, they are overpaid.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
No, of course they're not 'deserved'. Some of them are on 250k a week to kick a ball around when there are people who actually contribute to society and don't earn that in 10 years.
ihatebrownbread
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)
He wasn't asking why footballers are getting paid that much. He is asking if it is right- i.e it is an opinion weather it is right or not, not a fact.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
"how can we warrant paying people such astronomical amounts of money"

maybe because the country doesnt pay the footballers wages?

long story short:

- they get paid as much as the public dictates by attendances/tv audiances.
- they get paid in the same vain as entertainers, by the crowds they draw, rather then their athletic performance.

- actually the goverment loves them! because they are rich, yet as very acountable public figures, pay full tax! - so wayne rooney, on 250k p/w is likely to pay nearly half that in tax.. whereas a professional in the city, may be more inclined to evade the tax(pefectly legally ofcourse)..

- Overal: yes. they do warrent the sallaries:

Not because of the amount or importance of their work,

But for the amount of people who induldge in football, go to the matches, watch the games on tv, buy the shirts etc..

If you think of them as entertainers (or even athletic entertianers) - it makes much more sense..

We wouldnt critise a musician, whose sold out stadiums, as un-deserving -- in the same vain, we shouldnt crtisize footballers whose performances sell out venues, and bring in huge tv deals..
bestofyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
no they are not

imagine if they didn't pay them top salaries? The career wouldn't look half as appealing to young people. Instead they would look towards 'glamorous' careers that are just as highly paid along the lines of investment banking or drug trafficking.

The high salaries and the subsequent glorification of football is about the only thing keeping the UK (well England anyway since the Celtic regions aren't as fat/populated) from being one of the fattest nations in the world.

Think about it, in the USA you need to be big for just about any major sport, NFL/NHL/NBA, MLS pays crap, and if you aren't a big name by high school ends you can forget about playing any type of team sport after school finishes. There are two types of athlete in the USA, the elite and everyone else.

Thankfully in the UK football is such a simple and easy sport to access and anyone can play it at anytime even if is just a 5-a-side. Ever wonder why the 5-a-side pitches are so busy on world cup dates? Because everyone wants to be like the high paid guys on TV.

Rugby on the other hand is not the same at all, it is very hard to organise a uncompetitive rugby game. You see what I'm getting at? Football needs to be glorified otherwise the hospitals will be full the obese kids.
Gutterflower
Rep:
(Original post by Deshi)
I understand supply and demand, I don't (perhaps naively) see how it fits into this situation??
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The average person in the Western world doesn't particularly care about the poverty, problems and failings in the world so why should footballers be any different?

There was quite a good article about this but I can't seem to find it now..
Gutterflower
Rep:
(Original post by ihatebrownbread)
He wasn't asking why footballers are getting paid that much. He is asking if it is right- i.e it is an opinion weather it is right or not, not a fact.
^ This. Thanks! (I'm a girl btw)
fallen_acorns
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gutterflower)
I understand supply and demand, I don't (perhaps naively) see how it fits into this situation??
their wage is relatable to the demand for what they do..

The demand is huge - massive infact - millions of people each week, hundreds of millions of internatioal followers, etc..

So as such the wages are huge.
Gutterflower
Rep:
(Original post by Zerforax)
The average person in the Western world doesn't particularly care about the poverty, problems and failings in the world so why should footballers be any different?

There was quite a good article about this but I can't seem to find it now..
Maybe people don't care because they're blinded by ridiculous salaries, bright lights, brand deals, media frenzies and a corrupt football business?
Maybe if Gareth Bale publically chose to give half of his insane salary to poverty stricken communities or war-torn refugees, people might think twice about spending £50 on a football shirt or a match day ticket?

(Not necessarily my opinion, just playing Devil's advocate).
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ihatebrownbread)
"why pay such huge fees and wages to footballers?"

That's what I was answering. The market dictates that you pay those wages.
stubear
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
if we limited the salaries we might get cheaper tickets, buuuut the goverment would definetly get far less tax so the economy will be worse so we as people would likely be no better
Gutterflower
Rep:
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
their wage is relatable to the demand for what they do..

The demand is huge - massive infact - millions of people each week, hundreds of millions of internatioal followers, etc..

So as such the wages are huge.
I appreciate that but I still don't think they warrant so much money!!
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Of course they are ludicrous, some players are earning more than the average yearly salary in a day. That's capitalism for you though.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Maybe people don't care because they're blinded by ridiculous salaries, bright lights, brand deals, media frenzies and a corrupt football business?
Maybe if Gareth Bale publically chose to give half of his insane salary to poverty stricken communities or war-torn refugees, people might think twice about spending £50 on a football shirt or a match day ticket?

(Not necessarily my opinion, just playing Devil's advocate).
its worth noting that a fair number of footballers are very charitable..

A decent few have their own charities, and a lot of foreign players give sizable portions of their wages back to their countries of origin.. (african/south american players etc.)
Opts
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Firstly, we pay the broadcasters, who pay the clubs, who pay the footballers. If the footballers weren't earning the money, the money would just be sitting in the owners pocket. Although I am a firm believer that maybe season ticket prices could go down etc as we have the most expensive tickets in Europe, but while every club continues to sell out their seats, week in, week out - why would they? Its a business.

Yes they deserve this, it will probably sound controversial to say this - and when I say it, by all means don't assume I don't value and commend the work they do - a lot of people can train to be a doctor, a fireman, a soldier etc etc. What they do is great, but the pool of people who could do their job is significantly greater than that of a footballer. Surgeons and consultants are higher in the hierarchy, and this is reflected in their wages etc. But still, the amount of people who could work their way up that ladder is significantly larger than those who could climb from Sunday league -> Academy -> High level football.

Footballers are born, not made.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I appreciate that but I still don't think they warrant so much money!!
their skills, can draw in hundreds of millions of viewers, just to watch what they can do..

How does that differ from a musician who sells a million ablums, and fills a stadium?

Or an artist who paints a masterpeice?

sure, its lower down the social spectrum..

But arguably, gareth bale, in your exsample, is one of the top10 people, in the world, at a particular skill..

That skill, people will spend their lifes earnings to watch, and will spend the next week talking about..

- its a huge amount of money, but its warrented in the same way as any entertianer, actor, musician, artist, performer, warrents their earnings..
roh
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Of course they are ludicrous, some players are earning more than the average yearly salary in a day. That's capitalism for you though.
In a strange way though football is oddly communist. I can imagine Marx would have approved of a balance sheet that showed staff expenditure far outstripping dividend payouts, in what other industry can you imagine a significant number of staff out earning the CEO

Oh and they do seem ridiculous, but they're not out of synch with the salaries paid to stars in other sports (in fact they're less than stars of individual sports sometimes make) or of the other massive entertainment industries, such as film or music.

For example Gareth Bale still won't earn as much as his namesake Christian.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads