The Student Room Group

So I've pretty much failed school, what now?

Hey guys, I just 'finished' year 11 and I have come away with really bad results, It is honestly all my fault and there is nothing or nobody else to blame.

It's simply because I just didn't bother in the exams, I'm a smart person. But for an unknown reason I started getting apathetical feelings during the exam period and I just didn't try AT ALL. I don't know if maybe I had (and still have) some subconscious psychological problems but I can't really explain why, It's just like I didn't care.

Now I feel majorly depressed and I don't know what to do, I can't get into my 6th form because of my results, The careers adviser at my school didn't really give me too good of advice, but she told me to call up 2 colleges and ask about doing a GCSE retake course alongside an A-level course. One of the colleges I've just called earlier is completely full and I can't seem to get hold of the other college by phone right now.

I just feel that my life is over and I have failed it before it has even started to unfold. It seems like it is too late to start enrolling in colleges/other 6th forms now anyway because I would've thought they are full (I'm not 100% sure about this part).

I really need advice, especially from people who have maybe experienced something similar to this. If it helps, I mainly wanted to study Mathematics, Economics and Computing/ICT in 6th form college. But I doubt I can do them now anyway.... Please help me someone

My results:
Mathematics - B (The only exam I tried in, and the only subject I actually like, I went from a D to a B so this shows that I actually have the capability of improving.)
Geography - F
English Lit - U (Left the paper blank :/)
English Language - F (I got an A in coursework and C in 1/2 exams, but I didn't show up for the exam, so I don't even have my English GCSE...But this is what I'm planning to retake)
ICT BTEC Level 2 - Pass
P.E - E
R.E - D (I actually really tried in this paper, I wrote 6 pages but I still done horribly.)
Citizenship/PSCHE - E
Additional Science - E
Core Science - C (I think)

TL;DR:
I failed everything apart from Mathematics pretty much, I feel like my life is ruined and I'm really depressed, my 6th form will not accept me, I don't think I'll get accepted into any good colleges. I need advice.
-Pick yourself up.
-Keep trying to access that college on the phone, and if you can't, look at other colleges in the area.
-If you can't get into any colleges, find some other way of retaking some of your GCSEs, such as repeating Year 11.
-Retake English Language at least. I would also recommend retaking some other subjects to get 5 A*-C if at all possible.
-A B in Maths means you can feasibly get in to do the subjects you want at A level after you've retaken.
-See your GP or a doctor along those lines. That level of apathy sounds like it could be a hallmark of something like depression, since you're clearly not stupid.
-Consider whether an access course/apprenticeship or something like that is a better route for you to take.
-You have not ruined your life. If you can get past this and somehow get yourself into A levels and do well, you'll have made up for this.
(edited 10 years ago)
You need to get that English grade, most important thing to pick up. Are there any more than those two colleges you've tried that you could go to? (Even if they are quite far away). Get your parents to help, it is vital you get a place somewhere. Maybe you could do it privately (get a tutor, do it alone at home) too?

This isn't the end of the world, you can definitely pick yourself up from here. It just might take another year or so for you to get in. Try and get a job in the meantime, ideally alongside you retaking English, at like a supermarket or something - just so you have something to do it'll keep you much healthier if you have something to do and if you're able to save any money from it, you could probably go do something pretty cool like a sort of gap year before college (choice might be a tad limited if your only 16 though I guess). Or you could just replace the child benefit your parents would be missing.

If you think you might be mentally unwell, maybe go speak to your GP about it - I personally wouldn't know, but if you're concerned then look for some guidance on that.

This isn't the end of your life, its just a pit stop until you put yourself back on track. Good luck!
You have not failed, I have 6 'D's I make you look good. I stupidly went the engineering route and failed the lot.

you have a pass in maths, science and a BTEC that is worth 4 equivalent so I make that 6 passes, well done.

from the trawling round colleges I have had to do this week you can gen on a level 3 BTEC couse easily.

just look at what courses you can find doing that and you are sorted.
you haven't done that bad compared to other people i know. Ummmmm with those grades you would probz have to get into a apprenticeship which is probz better unless u hate practical work :wink:
Reply 5
Take a look at vocational qualifications. It's incredibly stupid that so many are forced down an academic route. Failing your GCSEs isn't the end of the world, visit your local colleges and ask what advice they can give you.
repeat the entire final GCSE year. I know several people who did that and end up heading to university.

You lack a grounding, and I would assume the motivation, needed for A-level.

So if you want to go to college, swallow your pride and repeat the year. Actually do the work this time and stop messing around.

You may be able to do a BTEC, but again, I'd say you are lacking the motivation and the foundation needed to get a good grade in that, even if you did, you may struggle for a place at university due to not having 5 A*-C grade GCSEs which is pretty much the standard requirement.
Reply 7
Original post by smarzey
Hey guys, I just 'finished' year 11 and I have come away with really bad results, It is honestly all my fault and there is nothing or nobody else to blame.

It's simply because I just didn't bother in the exams, I'm a smart person. But for an unknown reason I started getting apathetical feelings during the exam period and I just didn't try AT ALL. I don't know if maybe I had (and still have) some subconscious psychological problems but I can't really explain why, It's just like I didn't care.

Now I feel majorly depressed and I don't know what to do, I can't get into my 6th form because of my results, The careers adviser at my school didn't really give me too good of advice, but she told me to call up 2 colleges and ask about doing a GCSE retake course alongside an A-level course. One of the colleges I've just called earlier is completely full and I can't seem to get hold of the other college by phone right now.

I just feel that my life is over and I have failed it before it has even started to unfold. It seems like it is too late to start enrolling in colleges/other 6th forms now anyway because I would've thought they are full (I'm not 100% sure about this part).

I really need advice, especially from people who have maybe experienced something similar to this. If it helps, I mainly wanted to study Mathematics, Economics and Computing/ICT in 6th form college. But I doubt I can do them now anyway.... Please help me someone

My results:
Mathematics - B (The only exam I tried in, and the only subject I actually like, I went from a D to a B so this shows that I actually have the capability of improving.)
Geography - F
English Lit - U (Left the paper blank :/)
English Language - F (I got an A in coursework and C in 1/2 exams, but I didn't show up for the exam, so I don't even have my English GCSE...But this is what I'm planning to retake)
ICT BTEC Level 2 - Pass
P.E - E
R.E - D (I actually really tried in this paper, I wrote 6 pages but I still done horribly.)
Citizenship/PSCHE - E
Additional Science - E
Core Science - C (I think)

TL;DR:
I failed everything apart from Mathematics pretty much, I feel like my life is ruined and I'm really depressed, my 6th form will not accept me, I don't think I'll get accepted into any good colleges. I need advice.

I left school with only 2 Cs and 4 Ds at GCSE, messed up really badly in my last couple of years. I know how you feel, but believe me it's nothing that isn't fixable if you're prepared to put the effort in. I went the route of an Access course and did pretty well in it and I'm now going to Surrey Uni to study Law :smile:.

Just do some research into the options available to you or maybe retake a couple of your GCSEs since you are clearly capable of much better grades. Don't get yourself down there are people that have come back from much bigger set backs to be successful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest