The Student Room Group

Is it too early to start revising for GCSE mocks?

I'm currently panicking about all things GCSE related, including the mocks in January. I know people say that GCSEs are really simple, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about it. I want to make sure I start revising on time but I don't want to revise too far in advance.
So what do you think? Is it too early?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surely you still have a huge amount of the syllabus to learn so how can you revise something you haven't even learnt yet?
Reply 2
They're so easy, I'd focus on having add much fun as possible between now and the end of year 11

Posted from TSR Mobile
Enjoy it dawg
Reply 4
Original post by Bloxorus
Surely you still have a huge amount of the syllabus to learn so how can you revise something you haven't even learnt yet?

No, I meant as I go along, I'll revise. So I'll revise all the stuff we've learnt so far, and then continue to revise after learning new things.
Reply 5
Original post by Ggmu!
They're so easy, I'd focus on having add much fun as possible between now and the end of year 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are they really that easy?
Reply 6
Original post by suzylemonade

I got like two A*'s, rest A's and a B. I did no revision (except for the fake revision to please my parents). Unless you plan to go oxbridge or do a very tough course, the grades are good enough to get into a good college. If you work just an little bit, you can absolutely smash them to bits. They really are easy and simple exams.

Once you start a levels, it gets really hard. I wish I enjoyed my last two years at school more!

Edit: Maybe you could learn to organise yourself for the painful day you do your a levels. That will pay off, so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

Yep. Focus your time on thorough understanding of the topic, or even expanding your knowledge rather than restricting yourself to copying out notes upon notes of workings for 2 years like I did (something I very much regret)
Reply 8
It probably is too early cos the mocks don't really mean anything anyway, but if it would put your mind at rest, go for it.
Reply 9
Original post by Ggmu!
I got like two A*'s, rest A's and a B. I did no revision (except for the fake revision to please my parents). Unless you plan to go oxbridge or do a very tough course, the grades are good enough to get into a good college. If you work just an little bit, you can absolutely smash them to bits. They really are easy and simple exams.

Once you start a levels, it gets really hard. I wish I enjoyed my last two years at school more!

Edit: Maybe you could learn to organise yourself for the painful day you do your a levels. That will pay off, so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's really good. But yeah, I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge and the sixth form I'm applying to requires 6-8 A*s
Is that easy to achieve? Or does it require a bit more work?

Yeah, I'm terrified about starting AS- I've heard it's hard
Reply 10
Wow, that's really good. But yeah, I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge and the sixth form I'm applying to requires 6-8 A*s

In your case I suppose it's different from me. I never planned to go a really elite uni or a really high quality degree. In your case, an hour a day is really all you need to do. Just concentrate and give it your attention when you do work and you'll be fine.

AS is very scary, but it boils down to making sure you revise a little every day. That's it, work everyday and it'll pay off.

I didn't do that, and my grades were ****, and I'm doing a **** degree at a **** uni in September as a consequence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

I would say it's not hard to achieve, I didnt revise for mocks because my college doesn't require much,but closer to exam time , I worked really hard:yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
In your case I suppose it's different from me. I never planned to go a really elite uni or a really high quality degree. In your case, an hour a day is really all you need to do. Just concentrate and give it your attention when you do work and you'll be fine.

AS is very scary, but it boils down to making sure you revise a little every day. That's it, work everyday and it'll pay off.

I didn't do that, and my grades were ****, and I'm doing a **** degree at a **** uni in September as a consequence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, right. Okay, thanks :smile:

I'm sure it's not too bad.. What are you doing and where? A mon avis, no university is bad- all are good but some are better than others :smile:
Original post by sr234
I would say it's not hard to achieve, I didnt revise for mocks because my college doesn't require much,but closer to exam time , I worked really hard:yes:
Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're suggesting that I don't stress about mocks and focus on the real ones? I should probably do that, yeah. Thanks :smile:
Reply 14
Ah, right. Okay, thanks :smile:

I'm sure it's not too bad.. What are you doing and where? A mon avis, no university is bad- all are good but some are better than others :smile:

I'm doing business management at a midlands uni! I'm trying to stay anonymous because I have tendency to say bad things on the internet and I don't want it tracked to me lol.

Good luck, have fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i didnt revise for my mocks and my exams turned out well-dont worry about mocks

Posted from TSR Mobile

6-8A*s? Yeah - you need to do some work, BUT you certainly don't need to start panicking right now. Enjoy the winter term and then during the Christmas holidays really get down to some proper work (especially if you have your sights set on Cambridge). However, do NOT underestimate the difficulty of GCSEs just because you hear (often fake) stories about people cramming and coming out with straight A*s - if you want to go to a top university, you gotta do the work...simple as that.
Original post by Ggmu!
I'm doing business management at a midlands uni! I'm trying to stay anonymous because I have tendency to say bad things on the internet and I don't want it tracked to me lol.

Good luck, have fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay. Business management sounds okay

Reply 18
Yes. It is too early. Enjoy your youth.
Reply 19
Ah, okay. Business management sounds okay

I'm completely aware it's not a really proper degree but that's fine.

Even though I say that GCSE's are easy, getting into the routine of working will bode well at college.

Getting into Cambridge is very, very very hard. I suggest you start now in building that Ucas application with all the pathetic, non academic nonsense they love their students to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest