The Student Room Group

Help in choosing between two universities

hi everyone, i am really stuck between the University of Leeds and the University of Manchester to study medicine. Any recommendations and help anyone? :biggrin:
Go university of birmingham instead.
Have you visited the open days. Is there anything important there that would make it easier e.g. is sports important, or night life etc...
Reply 3
Original post by A random human
Have you visited the open days. Is there anything important there that would make it easier e.g. is sports important, or night life etc...

No i have not visited the open days.. Yes i thinks sports, night life, and things like prestige are important. Which one would you recomend?
Reply 4
Original post by 123formyabc
Go university of birmingham instead.

I second this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Est.1989

why do you think Birmingham is a better choice?
Reply 6
Original post by kcapsoccer
No i have not visited the open days.. Yes i thinks sports, night life, and things like prestige are important. Which one would you recomend?

Hey, Leeds and Manchester are very similar in terms of sports, night life and prestige to be honest. I think Manchester might slightly edge Leeds at sport and Leeds slightly trumps Manchester in terms of prestige (in my opinion).

In terms of medicine course, you should note that Manchester is THE pbl uni in the UK and is a huge part of the course. Leeds is uses less pbl, but I think pbl is still used quite a bit in the early years.

At the end of the day, you're the one going to be living in the city and studying there for 4-6 years, so you've got to like the place. Go visit, even if it's not a planned open day, a visit will enable you to get a feel for the city.

If there are two good unis that i had to decide between here, in this order in particular, i personally (may not be for you, so dont follow me, follow yourself), would rate each upon

1) Graduate prospects and work experience available for the course
2) Sports facilities, gym facilities, sports available
3) Nightlife, party and fun

Seeing as your name is kcapsoccer, am i right in assuming that you are american and are interested in going into the British football team at the university?
Reply 8
why do you think Birmingham is a better choice?

I'm slightly biased as I'm a student there (not studying medicine). Its a great uni, beautiful campus. I have friends doing medicine and family ties to UHB Trust. They seem more than happy with the course and the new hospital is a good place to work.

In terms of general student life at Birmingham, the nightlife isn't as good as Manchester or Leeds IMHO. I used to study in Manchester and had an amazing time. If your in to sport then Birmingham is excellent.

If I can offer you advice it would be to visit the universities that you are interested in. Sounds cheesy but you'll know when you get there which one is for you.
Reply 9
Original post by A random human
If there are two good unis that i had to decide between here, in this order in particular, i personally (may not be for you, so dont follow me, follow yourself), would rate each upon

1) Graduate prospects and work experience available for the course
2) Sports facilities, gym facilities, sports available
3) Nightlife, party and fun

Seeing as your name is kcapsoccer, am i right in assuming that you are american and are interested in going into the British football team at the university?

haha no i am not american but you were right about the football team though.. Based on this order (as i agree with it) which one of the two would you choose?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending