The Student Room Group

Appropriate travel distance for a part time job

I am moving to uni in about a week and I can receive a transfer to work in a store which is about 1 hour and 30 minutes away by bus from my accommodation. I was wondering if this is too far of a distance to reasonably deal with on a regular basis.
Original post by bobbieare
I am moving to uni in about a week and I can receive a transfer to work in a store which is about 1 hour and 30 minutes away by bus from my accommodation. I was wondering if this is too far of a distance to reasonably deal with on a regular basis.

Hmmm, I'm tempted to say no based on experience.

I had a part time job where having moved house, it became 1.5 hours to get there and the same back on public transport. Considering my shifts where only 4 hours long and the commute cost a bit more than one hours pay anyway, I quit because it wasn't financially viable and it wasn't relevant to my career either.

3 hours per day commuting for a minimum wage type job is a bit excessive in my opinion. Of course it depends on your circumstances overall but I would definitely weigh up how much I thought I needed the job.

Ask your current employer if they would be keen/able to have you work back with them in the holiday periods maybe.
Compare the wages to the cost of transport and you'll have your answer
Reply 3
It also depends on the average shift length. If you'll only be working one or two long shifts a week then it would be better than if you're going in most days but for only a few hours. It also depends on the bus times and whether you'd have a long wait or lots of connections.
It depends on how much the travel costs per day, and how long your shifts last.

If for example you did two 6 hour shifts each week and travel costs just short of an hour's wage per day, it might be worth it, however if your hours are spread over several days your travel costs and time spend travelling add up so it might not be viable to commute for so long for so few hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending