The Student Room Group

Is it possible to take biology a level in one year?

Hi,
I'm a seventeen year old starting my second year of sixth form next week. I'm interested in studying psychology at university but a lot of universities seem to ask for an a level in biology, at least to get on to certain courses. My AS results were Psychology A, English literature B and Philosophy C (two marks from a B, so B is my predicted A level grade).
Assuming I get ABB for my overall results do you think I will be able to not go to university straight away and instead take an A level in biology? I achieved two A's for my GCSE double science (my school didn't offer triple) but would this be enough for me to get on to an A level biology course or will more work be required?
If I do get on is it possible to do the entire course in a single year, or would I need to go to university in 2016?
Also do you think I would be discriminated against by universities for not doing all my A levels at the same time?
Thank you for your time, all answers will be very much appreciated.:biggrin:
Reply 1
Yes it is, someone in the year above me took A level biology in one year and got full marks in all 4 exams :P She is a megga genius but luckily biology is one you can do quite easily in a year just put in the work, a lot of work, like hundreds of hours and you seem to be good at GCSE just remember A level is a whole big step up, the main thing is to get your quality of answers up :smile: Which examboard you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by Munrot07
Yes it is, someone in the year above me took A level biology in one year and got full marks in all 4 exams :P She is a megga genius but luckily biology is one you can do quite easily in a year just put in the work, a lot of work, like hundreds of hours and you seem to be good at GCSE just remember A level is a whole big step up, the main thing is to get your quality of answers up :smile: Which examboard you doing?

Wow, I doubt I'll be quite that good but that's still pretty inspiring. I think I would be doing AQA. Thanks for replying so quickly btw :biggrin:.
Reply 3
Original post by Rhaenys
Wow, I doubt I'll be quite that good but that's still pretty inspiring. I think I would be doing AQA. Thanks for replying so quickly btw :biggrin:.

You're welcome :smile: I've just done AS biology so feel free to ask any questions about anything on the A level course (I've been teaching myself A2 over the summer)
Reply 4
You're welcome :smile: I've just done AS biology so feel free to ask any questions about anything on the A level course (I've been teaching myself A2 over the summer)

That's really kind of you to offer, thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by Rhaenys
Hi,
I'm a seventeen year old starting my second year of sixth form next week. I'm interested in studying psychology at university but a lot of universities seem to ask for an a level in biology, at least to get on to certain courses. My AS results were Psychology A, English literature B and Philosophy C (two marks from a B, so B is my predicted A level grade).
Assuming I get ABB for my overall results do you think I will be able to not go to university straight away and instead take an A level in biology? I achieved two A's for my GCSE double science (my school didn't offer triple) but would this be enough for me to get on to an A level biology course or will more work be required?
If I do get on is it possible to do the entire course in a single year, or would I need to go to university in 2016?
Also do you think I would be discriminated against by universities for not doing all my A levels at the same time?
Thank you for your time, all answers will be very much appreciated.:biggrin:

Umm biology's quite different to maths and chemistry, in maths the subjects build upon each other and get harder as you go along. With biology although the content undoubtedly gets harder the content of unit 4 is much different of unit 1 hence the sheer quantity of things to remember will be huge.
I just completed AS bio, I got an A* at GCSE and an A at AS level I don't think I would of been able to do that and A2 bio along side my other subjects. Now with alot of hard work it maybe, but biology is by no means easy, and you wouldn't want it affecting your other subjects.

This person that was in the year above you, what other subjects did she take alongside A level biology in one year? Thats if you can still remember :tongue:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
This person that was in the year above you, what other subjects did she take alongside A level biology in one year? Thats if you can still remember :tongue:

I really can't remember sorry :/ I know she did chemistry A level (though across 2 years) and I think English lit and theatre studies AS (she had a sudden change of career path). Maybe Maths A level as well :P
I am doing biology a level in one year and it is very intense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cinderella25

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can imagine. Doing A-level biology in 2 years is hard enough in my opinion. I've got a degree in the area and I'd probably struggle with doing it again in 1 year :smile:
Reply 10
I self taught AQA Biology A level in a year and it was fine, and that was alongside studying other subjects. Especially if you are taking a gap year doing Biology A level in a year is totally doable and even if you arent its not too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kjfr
I self taught AQA Biology A level in a year and it was fine, and that was alongside studying other subjects. Especially if you are taking a gap year doing Biology A level in a year is totally doable and even if you arent its not too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might do it with Maths and Chem at A2, you think it would be possible? I do realise that there is a sheer amount of content to know but I think I have the capability in general, just not sure about Bio in one year, think its possible ?
I really can't remember sorry :/ I know she did chemistry A level (though across 2 years) and I think English lit and theatre studies AS (she had a sudden change of career path). Maybe Maths A level as well :P

I do Maths and Chemistry normally and will take them into A2, i might do Biology AS+A2 aswell so thats why i wanted to know what she took. Did she do january exams?
Original post by cinderella25

Posted from TSR Mobile

What other subjects are you doing ?
I do Maths and Chemistry normally and will take them into A2, i might do Biology AS+A2 aswell so thats why i wanted to know what she took. Did she do january exams?

Yeh she did 3 exams in january and the 1 in june (so she learned unit 1, 2 and 4 between september and january)
Yeh she did 3 exams in january and the 1 in june (so she learned unit 1, 2 and 4 between september and january)

Ahh okay there's no jan exams if i did it so it would be much harder :frown:
Jan exams would have made my a level life much easier lol
Ahh okay there's no jan exams if i did it so it would be much harder :frown:
Jan exams would have made my a level life much easier lol

For my year we had jan exams for year 12 and then no jan exams year 13 (great idea...thanks government) but honestly it didn't make that big a difference I don't think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending