The Student Room Group

Need to attract a man but I hate having hair.

This may seem a daft rant but apparantly most men only really find long hair attractive (according to studies/opinions/wht Ive been told etc) Ive never had a boyfriend and dont really attract them. Ive never been able to have or manage long hair and it annoys me that if I cut it short my chances of attracting males are significantly reduced. The thing is when I have my hair long (shoulder length) people have told me it looks crap anyway because I cant manage it. My family say that I look a bit of a 'drag'/rough with longer hair but that short hair suits me.

I hate having long hair but at the same time I want to appear as attractive as I can. Its bob length at the moment and still feels too long and always looks scruffy. Im told it looks better straightened but then as soon as I go outside it goes all kinky and looks old fashioned..bit like a 1900 schoolgirl. Im only very small too 4ft 11 so it just overwhelms me. Im really jelous that guys can get away with having short hair yet they arn't attracted to women who do.

Its just annoying as I hate having hair

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not daft at all, it's a good question. I am going to risk sounding blunt here but never take advice from your family about what looks sexually attractive about you.

Yeah yeah what follows is anecdotal but pretty much all my mates prefer girls with long hair, at least shoulder length.

While I don't think any of them would rule out dating a girl just because she has short hair, I know I wouldn't, I think they would all say they were more likely to date her if she had longer hair.

Keeping your hair looking good takes time, no way around that really (although I will leave the hair tips up to the girls). What you need to ask yourself is what is more important to you; the time you save by having manageable short hair, or, attracting more men?
Original post by inthedark1
This may seem a daft rant but apparantly most men only really find long hair attractive (according to studies/opinions/wht Ive been told etc) Ive never had a boyfriend and dont really attract them. Ive never been able to have or manage long hair and it annoys me that if I cut it short my chances of attracting males are significantly reduced. The thing is when I have my hair long (shoulder length) people have told me it looks crap anyway because I cant manage it. My family say that I look a bit of a 'drag'/rough with longer hair but that short hair suits me.

I hate having long hair but at the same time I want to appear as attractive as I can. Its bob length at the moment and still feels too long and always looks scruffy. Im told it looks better straightened but then as soon as I go outside it goes all kinky and looks old fashioned..bit like a 1900 schoolgirl. Im only very small too 4ft 11 so it just overwhelms me. Im really jelous that guys can get away with having short hair yet they arn't attracted to women who do.

I hate my hair too, apparently there's some weird thing about my hairline which means my hairdressers stubbornly refuse to cut it any shorter than a bob, and even that gets on my nerves. It used to be really long and I spend all my time with it tied back wanting to take a pair of scissors and cut it off. I think my friends believe I've had some kind of secret break up or something that I have to take out on my hair. Nope, I just can't stand it. It's annoying because I think I'd quite suit it sort of Anne Hathaway/Carey Mulligan length (that everyone seems to have these days). And some guys like it anyway. Just find the ones who do. Wherever they hide.
(edited 10 years ago)
I quite like short hair, providing it's nicely done and complimentary of the girls face/style etc.

I'm more interested in the fact that she's a bit of a free thinker and doesn't mould herself to fit the "attractive" stereotype (which is fooking rare).

Might be in the minority here though lol, and probably not the response you were hoping for. Still, consider just going for whatever look you enjoy and be proud of it. You may be happier in the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by InChase
It's not daft at all, it's a good question. I am going to risk sounding blunt here but never take advice from your family about what looks sexually attractive about you.

Yeah yeah what follows is anecdotal but pretty much all my mates prefer girls with long hair, at least shoulder length.

While I don't think any of them would rule out dating a girl just because she has short hair, I know I wouldn't, I think they would all say they were more likely to date her if she had longer hair.

Keeping your hair looking good takes time, no way around that really (although I will leave the hair tips up to the girls). What you need to ask yourself is what is more important to you; the time you save by having manageable short hair, or, attracting more men?

They are both improtant to me since Im 28 and never even had a proper relationship lol. There is no way I could grow my hair really long firstly as I cant stand how it feels and because Im only small it makes me look like a little girl. I could have an inverted bob thats the longest I could go. Something like in the second pic below (the second attatchment). The first pic is how I like it ideally something short but trendy/feminine. Are there no short funky styles that could get away with still looking attractive, maybe with bit of length in at the front?

Seriously though try having long hair when you are not into doing it up and cant stand the feel of it etc
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Aisha~~
I quite like short hair, providing it's nicely done and complimentary of the girls face/style etc.

I'm more interested in the fact that she's a bit of a free thinker and doesn't mould herself to fit the "attractive" stereotype (which is fooking rare).

Might be in the minority here though lol, and probably not the response you were hoping for. Still, consider just going for whatever look you enjoy and be proud of it. You may be happier in the end.

Actually yours is the response Id like off all guys but apparantly according to most some instinct makes them a lot more attracted to long hair... and they can't help it:confused:
Reply 6
I happen to find short haired girls quite hot if its done right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I would like to think it wouldn't matter at all but now I think about it I don't recall ever really liking a girl with shorter hair :dontknow:
Actually yours is the response Id like off all guys but apparantly according to most some instinct makes them a lot more attracted to long hair... and they can't help it:confused:

In the bigger picture of dating, the length of your hair is barely going to matter...

Besides, **** most guys. Nobody dates/marries "most guys". More the people they consider particularly special to them.
Reply 9
I like short haired girls.

I'm only 4 foot 9 myself! :tongue: hardly ever hear of other girls under 5 foot too.
Anyhow if you like your hair being short but you find it hard to manage and what not and it often goes messy and curly, try the "messy" look? (I've attached a picture)

Besides there are guys who like shorter hair on women and there are guys who are indifferent to hair altogether, you have to work around what you have, like if you have big lips wear lip gloss, if you have pretty eyes wear eye make up that makes them pop, stuff like that. :smile:

soko.jpeg
Reply 11
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm only 4 foot 9 myself! :tongue: hardly ever hear of other girls under 5 foot too.
Anyhow if you like your hair being short but you find it hard to manage and what not and it often goes messy and curly, try the "messy" look? (I've attached a picture)

Besides there are guys who like shorter hair on women and there are guys who are indifferent to hair altogether, you have to work around what you have, like if you have big lips wear lip gloss, if you have pretty eyes wear eye make up that makes them pop, stuff like that. :smile:

soko.jpeg

Thats kind of my hair now ha but it doesnt suit me. I know what you mean about working with what your have it just seems that many guys just hate short hair.

Unless I get something very short Id like something that I can tie back even if its only a small pony tail.

I was also thinking of something like this I think its asymetrical longer on the other side correct me if im wrong.

Would this get away with being 'long enough to be attractive'?

I like being individual etc but when you are 28 and havent had a relationship you feel pressure to conform a bit :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thats kind of my hair now ha but it doesnt suit me. I know what you mean about working with what your have it just seems that many guys just hate short hair.

Unless I get something very short Id like something that I can tie back even if its only a small pony tail.

I was also thinking of something like this I think its asymetrical longer on the other side correct me if im wrong.

Would this get away with being 'long enough to be attractive'?

I like being individual etc but when you are 28 and havent had a relationship you feel pressure to conform a bit :redface:

I know, it must be so frustrating.
I'll be honest it's hard to say what you could get away with without knowing what you look like since every face is different, I mean I know for a fact I can't get away with anything shorter than a long bob because my face doesn't suit it, but your face might I have no idea. :/
Reply 13
They are both improtant to me since Im 28 and never even had a proper relationship lol. There is no way I could grow my hair really long firstly as I cant stand how it feels and because Im only small it makes me look like a little girl. I could have an inverted bob thats the longest I could go. Something like in the second pic below (the second attatchment). The first pic is how I like it ideally something short but trendy/feminine. Are there no short funky styles that could get away with still looking attractive, maybe with bit of length in at the front?

Seriously though try having long hair when you are not into doing it up and cant stand the feel of it etc

I actually know exactly how you feel. I didn't want to admit to it but I had shoulder length hair as a guy when I was 16 (can't believe I thought it looked good one me!:biggrin:) and it was always a mess, never found the time to maintain it.

Thank god I am a guy, short hair is awesome! Although I do now voluntarily spend a lot of time maintaining my short hair, the irony!

Anyway to your point. I think the second pic would be your best bet, gives an illusion of length. Caveat that with the fact I know feck all about women's hair styles, just what I find attractive as a man.

I would also forewarn you of falling victim to perceptual vigilance. Because this thread is about short hair you will attract a lot of men to it who like short hair. I am 99% positive the general male population prefers long hair, although it seems you have done your research and already come to this conclusion. Just a heads up.

Anyway I think the feeling of long hair is something you could get used to in time. Could you try going for gradually longer styles each time you get a cut?
Reply 14
Original post by SophieSmall
I know, it must be so frustrating.
I'll be honest it's hard to say what you could get away with without knowing what you look like since every face is different, I mean I know for a fact I can't get away with anything shorter than a long bob because my face doesn't suit it, but your face might I have no idea. :/

I don't really but a lot depends on how I style it. If its chin length straightening makes it look better but if it longer straightening just makes me look drawn out as my face is long and quite narrow. If I leave it long and wavy that looks bad too.
I don't really but a lot depends on how I style it. If its chin length straightening makes it look better but if it longer straightening just makes me look drawn out as my face is long and quite narrow. If I leave it long and wavy that looks bad too.

Hmm :/ I wonder if there is like an online programme or something that lets you put your picture up so you can "try on" different hair styles, got the feeling their might be?
Reply 16
Just a quick thought, could you not do your hair like this:
Front
Back

That is damn hot! But also out of the way and 'messed up'.

Just a thought...
Reply 17
Original post by InChase
I actually know exactly how you feel. I didn't want to admit to it but I had shoulder length hair as a guy when I was 16 (can't believe I thought it looked good one me!:biggrin:) and it was always a mess, never found the time to maintain it.

Thank god I am a guy, short hair is awesome! Although I do now voluntarily spend a lot of time maintaining my short hair, the irony!

Anyway to your point. I think the second pic would be your best bet, gives an illusion of length. Caveat that with the fact I know feck all about women's hair styles, just what I find attractive as a man.

I would also forewarn you of falling victim to perceptual vigilance. Because this thread is about short hair you will attract a lot of men to it who like short hair. I am 99% positive the general male population prefers long hair, although it seems you have done your research and already come to this conclusion. Just a heads up.

Anyway I think the feeling of long hair is something you could get used to in time. Could you try going for gradually longer styles each time you get a cut?

I just cant stand any long hair I do a lot of sport and hate the feeling of sweat in it etc. Instead of going gradually longer I go shorter and shorter and it feels much better short. I might try the inverted bob then where its longer at the front. at least I'l only have the front to straighten and worry about lol
Reply 18
Original post by InChase
Just a quick thought, could you not do your hair like this:
Front
Back

That is damn hot! But also out of the way and 'messed up'.

Just a thought...

I cant do buns and all that I just dont like messing with my hair. Also it would still be long hair just tied back. Id like a cool funky style thats a bit different but also meets my need to have short hair. Only think I can think of is the inverted bob :confused:
Reply 19
Long hair is certainly deemed elegant. My Ex had long hair and a short bob style hair and I liked both, probably prefered the shorter hair.

Depends on you as a person and if your hairs compliments the face shape etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending