The Student Room Group

URGENT!!! Which A levels should I choose?

Which should I do?

1) English lit, History, Biology, Maths
2)English lit, History, Biology, Chemistry
3)English lit, Biology, Chemistry, Maths

- GCSE grades: English A*, History A, Biology A*, Maths A, Chemistry A
- I don't know what degree to do exactly, possibly a biomedical science degree or go into law
- I want to go to a top Uni
- My dad advised me to drop History...(he said I'd get a better paid job with Chemistry)
- I don't like Chemistry (it's all the calculations I fail at) and Maths is sometimes ok, but Maths exam papers for some reason scare me more than the Chemistry papers...
-My aim is to get an A in either Chemistry or Maths, I'm not a natural at Chemistry or Maths but I am really hard working, so would this be possible for me to achieve?

I literally have a few hours until I have to submit my decision and am in tears because I've never been so conflicted before in my life! Please help me- ANY advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Do whatever you enjoy the most imo. I chose history, but I never was interested in it and that made the coursework so much harder for me.
Reply 2
Original post by CharlotteFaye
Which should I do?

- I don't know what degree to do exactly, possibly a biomedical science degree or go into law
- My dad advised me to drop History...(he said I'd get a better paid job with Chemistry)
- I don't like Chemistry (it's all the calculations I fail at) and Maths is sometimes ok, but Maths exam papers for some reason scare me more than the Chemistry papers...
-My aim is to get an A in either Chemistry or Maths, I'm not a natural at Chemistry or Maths but I am really hard working, so would this be possible for me to achieve?

I literally have a few hours until I have to submit my decision and am in tears because I've never been so conflicted before in my life! Please help me- ANY advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I'd go for option 2, just because Maths has a really high drop out rate, and from what i've seen its really hard to get a good grade in if you don't love it! My parents pushed for me to take it, but I knew I wouldn't enjoy it, so I chose chemistry instead. At AS I did History, English Lit, Chemistry and Physics, which was hard but manageable :smile:

Its up to you, but I think that anything is possible if you work hard enough. My brain is definitely more geared towards essay writing, but I got good grades in all my subjects and am off to a top uni to study History!

I understand what you mean with the parents thing, mine still moan about them wanting me to do science at university as theres a chance for better paid jobs (blah blah blah), but I honestly think, without being cliché, that if you enjoy your subject you'll generally do better in it! Don't be swayed into doing a qualification for 2 years that you don't really enjoy, its your life and a degree from a top uni (in any subject) will open enough doors for you to get a good job! :smile:
Reply 3
go with biology chem and maths if you want to study a science based degree, Unless you want to study english lang,lit or history at Uni i don't think you need them. They're particularly great A levels anyway
Original post by CharlotteFaye
Which should I do?

bits in bold: the calculations in AS are very easy (for OCR anyway)
Chemistry for most jobs in chemistry aren't very well paying (sometimes awful) I learnt this though my own research and on my work experience at a chemical company and they all said it is not very well paying and you should only go into chemistry (as a degree) if you love it, which they all did they all said they wouldn't change what career or degree they did :smile: though i'm still going to study it at uni (hopefully) :biggrin:

edit: as for getting an A in chemistry all you need to do is work hard and do lots and lots of past papers
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Option 3 is the most useful in terms of degree choices. It does exclude a History degree though.

My advice would be to start with Option 3 and if you realise within the next month or two that it's not for you, change to Option 1 or Option 2. If your school / college allows this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I've finally chosen: English lit, Biology, Maths and Chemistry

I realised I'm not helping myself by basing my options on whether Oxford Uni will accept me or not. I've decided that focusing on going to a Russell Group Uni as an aim instead has eased a lot of the pressure off. I just kept thinking I wasn't good enough to get an A at A level Chemistry but I think that with hard work and good revision I can- I mean, I got A at GCSE so it's not impossible, right? I really want to keep my option open of being able to do a degree around Biology like Biomedical science.

Quick Reply

Latest