The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Yes this is helpful, they sent it as an attachment to the e-mail inviting me for interview. Although, thanks so much for posting it!

Original post by reddoor
I honestly can't think what exactly but I have a feeling it will be somewhere along the lines of a mixture of role play where you have to diffuse a situation and then ethical scenarios and things like that. Yeah I went to the open day. I liked the medical school itself. However I'm a bit worried that the social aspects of things won't be as good. Also I looked at some of the accommodation and it was absolutely terrible. I didn't get to look at the new premier en-suites though so I'm hoping they'll be nicer. Did you? Does anyone know what the rest of the accommodation at keele is like?

Yes I went to the open day too. Luckily I fished out my notes from it and they gave a lot of it away in the talk didn't they? They did seem like they want you to succeed and they were all so friendly. The students loved it and one said that she didn't want to go to Keele but is so glad that she did. She thoroughly enjoys it there.

I'm a mature student so the remoteness of Keele and the accommodation fortunately is not an issue for me. I have a place near Cholmondeley, it's quite remote so I'll be able to get a lot of studying done, but it has a huge garden so I can put on a party or two haha. The students did say that there's lots to do and it's really easy to get to the next bigger place with better nightlife.

I spoke to a 5th year medical student today and he had an interview at Manchester where they had lots of flags in a cadavar and asked him to name various parts. That was a bit of a shock tactic I think and a bit inappropriate. They also went on to say that only 2 out of 30 would get a place and that X amount of them would fail! I couldn't believe it when he told me, I couldn't see Keele doing any of that.

What time is your interview? I've done a bit of reading but relying on honest and off the cuff answers to be honest.
Original post by bellaxox
I am current medic at Keele University. Keele wasn't my first choice but now I would put it first If I had to choose again. The course is set up so well, the medical school gives you great support and want you to succeed. No one last year in first year failed/dropped out. Few universities achieve that. We don't sit all days in lectures, we open a case at the beginning of the week i.e. someone gets stabbed (haha there is more drama than Eastenders).

Because Keele is quieter it allows you to get your head down and do the hard work that is required to survive the demanding degree that is medicine. But it also really allows you to 'play hard' as well as work hard with the awesome medics and other students at the union. Keele's student union is the 5th best in the UK. In the last few months we had Tinie Tempah, Rudimental, Professor Green and DJ Fresh. Anyways best of luck to you all on your medicine applications!

Where else did you apply for and what year are you currently in? I heard that the first two years you have lots of time off, starting in October and finishing in May...is that right?

You've said lots of positives, so what is the worst thing about Keele or if you could improve on one thing, what would that be?
Reply 682
Original post by medical nurse
Where else did you apply for and what year are you currently in? I heard that the first two years you have lots of time off, starting in October and finishing in May...is that right?

You've said lots of positives, so what is the worst thing about Keele or if you could improve on one thing, what would that be?

I'm a first year. I applied to Liverpool, Brighton and Sussex and Southampton as well (clinical science at Exeter was my back up). Actually the first year is really busy, second year you have more time off/ less scheduled lectures and tutorials. As you know third year your mostly in the hospital.

I surprisingly had to think hard about the worst thing about Keele. Honestly at first with PBL it's difficult to understand what amount of learning you should be doing at first. That was the hardest. But after doing a month or so, it's getting much easier. Lastly the fact that Keele University isn't close to major city. It takes 40 minutes on a train to Manchester or 1h 40 to London.We have a local small town, Newcastle under Lyme which has a few shops. You do also have Hanley for proper shopping though which is 30 mins on the bus. But most things you need you can get on campus.
Reply 683
I wonder how many more interview dates Keele have... Not feeling too great at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 684
just got an interview for the 4th of feb! im so happy... i almost lost all hope yesterday :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 685
Original post by h1234567
just got an interview for the 4th of feb! im so happy... i almost lost all hope yesterday :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! I'm in the same boat you were yesterday, still heard nothing :frown:
Reply 686
Original post by Rhys Chuk
Congrats! I'm in the same boat you were yesterday, still heard nothing :frown:

iknow how u feel :frown: but dont lose hope! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 687
This wait is killingggg me. What time do keele give out interviews through email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bellaxox
I'm a first year. I applied to Liverpool, Brighton and Sussex and Southampton as well (clinical science at Exeter was my back up). Actually the first year is really busy, second year you have more time off/ less scheduled lectures and tutorials. As you know third year your mostly in the hospital.

I surprisingly had to think hard about the worst thing about Keele. Honestly at first with PBL it's difficult to understand what amount of learning you should be doing at first. That was the hardest. But after doing a month or so, it's getting much easier. Lastly the fact that Keele University isn't close to major city. It takes 40 minutes on a train to Manchester or 1h 40 to London.We have a local small town, Newcastle under Lyme which has a few shops. You do also have Hanley for proper shopping though which is 30 mins on the bus. But most things you need you can get on campus.

Have you had any clinical placements in the first year? Strange that you get more time off in the second year though. What has the content been like and are you given any guidance for PBL or are you just given a scenario i.e.:-

A 49 year old male patient has been admitted to hospital with complaints of shortness of breath with pain radiating...etc with no question?

Do you then have to go and research whatever you feel you have to research on this scenario?
Hi, i got a phone call saying i had an interview from Keele today! I was over the moon, didn't expect that at all. They only gave me a weeks notice though .. It's on the 29th January
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 690
Original post by khiahlouise
Hi, i got a phone call saying i had an interview from Keele today! I was over the moon, didn't expect that at all. They only gave me a weeks notice though .. It's on the 29th January

congrats on the interview that's so good!
May I ask what kind of work experience you had?:smile:
Hi guys I've heard keele have been having problems with updating their responses or something of that nature... Is it worth ringing them up to find out what is going on with my application or should I just wait it out :/ thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys I've heard keele have been having problems with updating their responses or something of that nature... Is it worth ringing them up to find out what is going on with my application or should I just wait it out :/ thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 693
Anyone have a more specific idea of when keele will give out their first set of decisions after interview? I had my interview on the 8th and really loved the uni!! They told us end of January beginning of February, so I'm hoping it won't be too long now! Fingers crossed!
Reply 694
Original post by h.fost
Anyone have a more specific idea of when keele will give out their first set of decisions after interview? I had my interview on the 8th and really loved the uni!! They told us end of January beginning of February, so I'm hoping it won't be too long now! Fingers crossed!

Yeah that's what I was told too, they're not going to give out a specific date to avoid disappointing someone but it's most likely going to be early February, possibly within the first 2 weeks of Feb
Original post by khiahlouise

Congrats :smile: can I ask what number they used to call you?
Reply 696
Original post by mubashir9995
I have an interview for 29th Jan as well, what time is yours?

My interview is at 9.30 in the morning so I'm staying in a hotel the night before. What time is yours?
Reply 697
Original post by ibbyb94
Interview on the 29th too! So scared. Reapplicant! First ever interview! Anyone have any idea or tips for te mmi??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine is at 9.30, what time is yours?
Reply 698
Original post by medical nurse
Yes this is helpful, they sent it as an attachment to the e-mail inviting me for interview. Although, thanks so much for posting it!

Yes I went to the open day too. Luckily I fished out my notes from it and they gave a lot of it away in the talk didn't they? They did seem like they want you to succeed and they were all so friendly. The students loved it and one said that she didn't want to go to Keele but is so glad that she did. She thoroughly enjoys it there.

I'm a mature student so the remoteness of Keele and the accommodation fortunately is not an issue for me. I have a place near Cholmondeley, it's quite remote so I'll be able to get a lot of studying done, but it has a huge garden so I can put on a party or two haha. The students did say that there's lots to do and it's really easy to get to the next bigger place with better nightlife.

I spoke to a 5th year medical student today and he had an interview at Manchester where they had lots of flags in a cadavar and asked him to name various parts. That was a bit of a shock tactic I think and a bit inappropriate. They also went on to say that only 2 out of 30 would get a place and that X amount of them would fail! I couldn't believe it when he told me, I couldn't see Keele doing any of that.

What time is your interview? I've done a bit of reading but relying on honest and off the cuff answers to be honest.

I really liked the medical school and I liked how the course is both PBL and lecture based so you get the best of both parts. They did seem really nice, yeah. I guess if I wanted a night out in a bigger city I could always go out with some old friends in Sheffield or uni friends in Manchester. Either way I'm not too sure I'll have that much time to go out anyway, studying medicine.

Thats cool, a house party would be pretty fun. Wow that is really mean! Keele seemed nice so it would be a complete shock if they suddenly had interviews like that. Hopefully not, anyway haha. Good luck for your interview! What time is it?
Original post by adpeto
congrats on the interview that's so good!
May I ask what kind of work experience you had?:smile:

Thank you! I had some work experience in a hospital on a few different wards (acute medicine/surgery) I also go to watch an open surgery there it was amazing! Went to a GP surgery for a week, a pharmacy for an hour (they don't need to know it was only an hour lol) and a care home which I'm still working at.

What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending