The Student Room Group

Astrophysics/Cosmology

Can someone just clear up for me what the difference is between Astrophysics and Cosmology? Because I used to think they were pretty much the same thing?
EDIT

Cosmology is a part of Astronomy. That is why Cosmology has a close relation to Astrophysics. The Astrophysics considered all kinds of celestial phenomena out of the earth. The cosmology is quasi the science of the origin of the universe (cosmos). The modern cosmology is described by physical laws.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Physics4Life
Can someone just clear up for me what the difference is between Astrophysics and Cosmology? Because I used to think they were pretty much the same thing?

Astrophysics is the study of the physics of astronomical systems and environments - this can be specific to a single planet or a stellar system (including stellar structure and evolution) or can consider multi-object systems such as galaxies, globular clusters etc. Cosmology is that branch of Astrophysics that considers the Universe as a whole, including its origin, evolution and future.
Reply 3
Ahh thanks guys, I was wondering what the difference was when I was looking at Uni courses, Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Physics4Life
Ahh thanks guys, I was wondering what the difference was when I was looking at Uni courses, Thanks :biggrin:

You are welcome! so I suppose that you are studying astrophysics at Uni, am I right? maybe cosmology? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto
You are welcome! so I suppose that you are studying astrophysics at Uni, am I right? maybe cosmology? :biggrin:

Well I'm just starting my A2s now but I should be applying for Physics with Astrophysics/Cosmology/Maths somewhere hopefully :smile: but I can't quite decide which one yet :L
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
Cosmology is a part of Astrology. That is why Cosmology has a close relation to Astrophysics which considered all kinds of celestial phenomena, no matter on earth or out of it. The cosmology is quasi the science of the origin of the universe (cosmos). The modern cosmology is described by physical laws.

That should probably be astrophysics, not astrology (the pseudoscientific study of star signs)...

Cosmology is more the study of the life of the Universe - how it started, where it's going. Astrophysics as a whole is more about planets, stars celestial motion etc.
Reply 7
I guess you could say that astrophysics is the study of the Universe and Cosmology is a specialty in that and looking at the Universes 'life'. how it started and what's going to happen in the future.

EDIT: It looks like I just paraphrased what Qwertish said!
Original post by Qwertish
That should probably be astrophysics, not astrology (the pseudoscientific study of star signs)...

Cosmology is more the study of the life of the Universe - how it started, where it's going. Astrophysics as a whole is more about planets, stars celestial motion etc.

Thanks for correction. I guess I confused astrology with astronomy. My mistake!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest