The Student Room Group

One direction; The Beatles

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by pgreg1
Yes I agree with you. My post was just aimed at what I perceived to be you criticising certain aspects of The Beatles. it's not like I am a big fanboy of them, but I wanted to say that what I thought you said originally was incorrect as some of the beatles's early stuff is quite ahead of its time.

With regards to the fans, I would say yes that beatlemania-era beatles and current 1D have similar fans.

Yeah, I think I worded it quite badly :colondollar: but I was talking about the contents of the songs and how they appealed to their target market and so on.

As far as I see it, The Beatles set the model of how to appeal to a teenage market (whether intentional or unintentional) for the other bands/groups like 1D and The Backstreet Boys to follow.
Reply 61
Original post by Annaaaa
Yeah, I think I worded it quite badly :colondollar: but I was talking about the contents of the songs and how they appealed to their target market and so on.

I completely agree with that statement

As far as I see it, The Beatles set the model of how to appeal to a teenage market (whether intentional or unintentional) for the other bands/groups like 1D and The Backstreet Boys to follow.

As a group, certainly .... although single acts were doing this in the 50s such as Elvis who was probably the first .... and maybe even Sinatra before him

For the record I wasn't insulting 1D either, I quite like a couple of their songs (and im a male), tho I am still not convinced about what lasting impact they will have .... only time can be the judge of that
Original post by SuziieB
Well...I don't like The Beatles. I really, really don't understand their songs. I like a few of their songs like 'Let it be' and 'Imagine' but the rest I feel are totally overblown out of proportion.

And its an exaggeration to assume that most people these days love the Beatles. I don't like them and no one I know do.

One direction aren't the best boyband around but people need to get lives and stop hating on people who are just lucky. If you were given the same opportunity to become worldwide famous, how many of you would turn it down and appease the public by writing ****ty songs? It is well known that a lot of musicians and singers have to follow the producer's instructions and are limited in what they are allowed to produce. How do you know that none of one direction cannot write their own songs? Maybe they don't have the opportunity to yet.

Are real musicians only the ones who can play instruments? Isn't the voice an instrument anymore? That is just the criteria of people who like to get on their high horse and make up their own descriptions of what musicians should be like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

'Imagine' isn't a Beatles song, it's a John Lennon song. How many Beatles albums have you listened too? I can't understand that you 'don't understand their songs'... Have you ever heard 'In My Life', 'A Day In The Life' and 'Paperback Writer'? The lyrics are genius, The Beatles are genius, which is why they are considered the greatest ever.

The voice is an instrument, yes. But voices get so mixed up and tampered with these days I'm suprised people even sing anyway. Singing is an instrument, but the real musicians with real talent can play instruments and write music. The Beatles wrote music not just for themselves, but for other musicians as well.

Nobody here has said everyone loves the Beatles. I don't care how many people you know don't like them. Out of 100 people I know, I'd say on 10%/15% like them and that's it. Do I really care? No. Because I love them, and always will. I'll always like music that means something and influences people, which is why I love the likes of the Beatles, the Kinks, Bob Dylan, the Smiths etc
Reply 63
Original post by barnetlad
(to be sung to John Lennon's tune)

Imagine there's no One Direction,
I wonder if you can,
No older tv presenter dating,
Not a single screaming fan
Imagine all the people learning how to sing

Imagine no svengali producer
Running off with another man's wife
Karaoke just a pastime
Not a career or whole life
Imagine real musicians knowing how to write

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
Someday 1D will be forgotten
Soon I hope as they are tripe.

Someone needs to get a life, that was so lame

_________

These threads seriously need to end... Why do people obsess over comparing them so much?

Personally, I love One Direction and their music (coming from someone who also listens to stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, Secondhand Serenade etc.) and they do now write most of their songs... Some of you need to get your facts right.

Their group is a singing group, Niall does play the guitar quite a bit, but that's not really what they're about... and when I went to see them live there was quite a few boys there so you can't just say their fanbase is girls...

So yeah, they're amazing :rolleyes:
Reply 64
Original post by Nyheter

Ok if you say so. Ticket to ride was in Help!, the movie for help certainly was very clean cut and played on their kooky boy band image.

Yeah, and they still had the cool teenager/young men being musicians look.

One Direction just look like fools.

Saying their early music is the same is bull**** too, I still listen to their early stuff whereas 1D's isn't anything special. Also like all garbage artists nowadays they have their stuff pushed by the record companies all over YouTube, Twitter etc. Adverts everywhere.
Original post by Nyheter
Ok, I get peoples complete anger :angry::mad::angry: when they are compared or even mentioned in the same sentence :rolleyes: but people have to understand comparison is about similarites and differences.

There are a lot of differences, obviously we don't even need to get into them.

The similarity which the media presents is the screaming girls young girls. Because 1D have such a girl dominated fan base that usually seems to put people of them, why?
I mean if you look at pictures of the beatles fans back in the day you would see the same type of screaming group of girls. Mainly I wonder if it was like that when the Beatles were at their height of popularity. Did people distance themsevles from them?

Do you distance yourself for 1D because of the girls? even though you might have a song of theirs you like?

This steams from a youtube comment that negated any musical merit of 1D because teenage girls liked them. Made me think what about the beatles!!

Beatles fans
20100820_beatles_fans_33.jpg

One direction fans
One Direction fans at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Dallas-772115.jpg

Beatles fans
Beatles-fans_2392590b.jpg

One direction fans
1d-cover-hashtag-blog.jpg

There's a big difference, The Beatles had talent.
Two rollercoasters of very different scale and speed might both make you scream when you're young.

But the one that's far more complex and larger has the ability to continue to make you scream as you get older.
Reply 67
Original post by Nyheter
Ok, I get peoples complete anger :angry::mad::angry: when they are compared or even mentioned in the same sentence :rolleyes: but people have to understand comparison is about similarites and differences.

The similarity which the media presents is the screaming girls young girls. Because 1D have such a girl dominated fan base that usually seems to put people of them, why?
I mean if you look at pictures of the beatles fans back in the day you would see the same type of screaming group of girls. Mainly I wonder if it was like that when the Beatles were at their height of popularity. Did people distance themsevles from them?

Do you distance yourself for 1D because of the girls? even though you might have a song of theirs you like?

This steams from a youtube comment that negated any musical merit of 1D because teenage girls liked them. Made me think what about the beatles!!

Beatles fans

One direction fans

Beatles fans

One direction fans

The Beatles had more talent. Going by the crowds mean nothing except that people are tone deaf. I mean look at the bay city rollers ...

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/b3a47fc2d95940a28c68b71eb1f2e866/bay-city-rollers-pop-group-boy-band-fans-newcastle-uk-1970s-the-rollers-cwya0g.jpg
Original post by Nyheter

Beatles fans

One direction fans

Beatles fans

One direction fans

The Beatles became so much more. They changed society. We are here talking about The Beatles 50 years later. One Direction has already started to fad from memory.

Quick Reply

Latest