The Student Room Group

Did anyone do rubbish in their GCSE's?

Just wondering, my GCSE's are not the best due not really paying attention/lost interest during school. I came out fine however but no where near as good people do on here.

Anyway, I just need a bit of confidence really. I will be doing Biomedical engineering yet I also want to do physics, but I'm scared of changing in case physics is just too hard and I fail miserably and I won't be able to revert back to bme.

Anyone do **** in their GCSE's and then did well in their degrees or is doing well?

My confidence in my mathematical skills is low but I am capable of getting my head down and learn.

Also anyone with experience in physics give me a clue to what it is like?
Original post by Willbean
Anyone do **** in their GCSE's and then did well in their degrees or is doing well?

I left school with no GCSE's. Fast forward a while and I should be graduating next year with a minimum of a 2.i from a decent university. Not in Physics, just saying it can be done :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sr90
I left school with no GCSE's. Fast forward a while and I should be graduating next year with a minimum of a 2.i from a decent university. Not in Physics, just saying it can be done :smile:

How is that possible? Did you do BTEC? A-levels? Or just jumped onto the foundation degree and continued from there?

How old was you when you graduated? How old was you when you started? And what was you degree?

2.i? Or was that a typo and a 2.1?

How did you do it? Just buckled down? I don't feel like am intelligent enough, I've always been an odd case. You must be incredibly naturally intelligent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

2.i is just another way of saying 2:1.
Reply 4
Original post by Exon
2.i is just another way of saying 2:1.

What is the point in that.
Reply 5
What is the point in that.

No idea. I assume it's the same reason you have question 2ii in an exam as opposed to 2.2
How is that possible? Did you do BTEC? A-levels? Or just jumped onto the foundation degree and continued from there?

How old was you when you graduated? How old was you when you started? And what was you degree?

How did you do it? Just buckled down? I don't feel like am intelligent enough, I've always been an odd case. You must be incredibly naturally intelligent.

Combination of things, really. I've always been academically able, I just hated going to school and didn't really try. Also had quite a few issues with my peers and teachers which resulted in me being expelled. Looking back on it, i'm so ashamed about my school years I just refuse to talk about them to anyone but my closest friends. Here is different because it's anonymous.

I got my GCSE's from a college which was horrible and a lot of the people I was mixing with were basically me during school - they didn't care. That experience taught me a lot. My family are all alumni of top universities, I didn't want to be the one to break that trend! I managed to convince the top Sixth Form in my area to take me on (I was 18 at this point), knuckled down and aced my A Levels. If it wasn't for coursework moderation I would have got straight A's.

Here at uni I haven't always taken my studies seriously yet i've always ended up with good grades, which now i'm entering my final year is the confidence boost I need to knuckle down. If I apply myself this year, I'll get a first. Guarantee it.

You just need to find some motivation from somewhere like I did.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by sr90
Combination of things, really. I've always been academically able, I just hated going to school and didn't really try. Also had quite a few issues with my peers and teachers which resulted in me being expelled. Looking back on it, i'm so ashamed about my school years I just refuse to talk about them to anyone but my closest friends. Here is different because it's anonymous.

I got my GCSE's from a college which was horrible and a lot of the people I was mixing with were basically me during school - they didn't care. That experience taught me a lot. My family are all alumni of top universities, I didn't want to be the one to break that trend! I managed to convince the top Sixth Form in my area to take me on (I was 18 at this point), knuckled down and aced my A Levels. If it wasn't for coursework moderation I would have got straight A's.

Here at uni I haven't always taken my studies seriously yet i've always ended up with good grades, which now i'm entering my final year is the confidence boost I need to knuckle down. If I apply myself this year, I'll get a first. Guarantee it.

You just need to find some motivation from somewhere like I did.

I wasn't allowed to retake my GCSE's at my college. I did BTEC in Engineering with a double distinction. I could of got DDD but I did an apprenticeship and thats when it went to hell for me. I'm statistically classed as a unreliable student and may not return.

So genetically, you have your parents intelligence. My dad is good with his hands, not brains and my mum...well I don't know what they learn in a 3rd world country slum.

You are basically back on track! You finished uni at the same age as the majority do when they start at 18, I'll be 24 when I finish!

I was hoping to find someone who is like me. This is depressing, I feel like everyone has some advantage.

Because of the choices I made (apprenticeship, do an engineering at BTEC and not consider doing A-levels) has stuck me in a place between foundation degree and a degree.

Over qualified for a foundation degree and just missed out on a degree. You have don exceptionally well and overcame your issues, I've just been making more with my old ones.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I left with 1 GCSE c or above (it was a c in maths) a d in English with the rest not worth the paper they are on (like g in it). I end up leaving collge with a distinction* in first diploma (is equal to 3 GCSE) c in English and d*d*d* in extended nation diploma in games design. I'm aiming and should be able to get a first at uni (computer forensics)

So yer GCSE''s I left with rubbish gcse's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by kumori
I left with 1 GCSE c or above (it was a c in maths) a d in English with the rest not worth the paper they are on (like g in it). I end up leaving collge with a distinction* in first diploma (is equal to 3 GCSE) c in English and d*d*d* in extended nation diploma in games design. I'm aiming and should be able to get a first at uni (computer forensics)

So yer GCSE''s I left with rubbish gcse's

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a C in science because I got damn scared of doing the higher tier which I should of done (Science has always been a fun topic for me), D in everything else and a bloody F in maths yet I got a merit in my BTEC mathematics somehow and a DD in my diploma. Would of been a DDD but I chose to do an apprenticeship and according to my college, prevents me from doing a extended diploma which will get me the extra D.

My grades have knocked my confidence back so far, when I got my grades I didn't have a response. I just took it and walked off by myself home and blanked myself.

You got a C in maths so therefore you are intelligent! I have no chance, basically open season for abuse from colleagues.

Does computer forensics involve maths?

I really feel like a retard which is one of my greatest fears, failing and being dumb. Perhaps BTEC was end of the road for someone with my intelligence on the education ladder. Manual labour is my future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I got a C in science because I got damn scared of doing the higher tier which I should of done (Science has always been a fun topic for me), D in everything else and a bloody F in maths yet I got a merit in my BTEC mathematics somehow and a DD in my diploma. Would of been a DDD but I chose to do an apprenticeship and according to my college, prevents me from doing a extended diploma which will get me the extra D.

My grades have knocked my confidence back so far, when I got my grades I didn't have a response. I just took it and walked off by myself home and blanked myself.

You got a C in maths so therefore you are intelligent! I have no chance, basically open season for abuse from colleagues.

Does computer forensics involve maths?

All IT courses have to do maths in first year at my uni, I don't have to do maths again however I think I will have to do it in cryptology module and some other ones. However the whole binary to hexadecimal to decimal needs maths. So I would say it does.

I am not intelligent for getting a C in maths, my estimated grade for maths was A, since maths seems to come easily to me.

Oh and I got uu in science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest