The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer Interview Advice?

I recently applied for Marks and Spencer and was told last week that I had been invited to an interview. I was really pleased because I'm almost 17 and its my first ever job interview, it feels like I have been applying for ages.

I've been told the interview will consist of a short role play and then an interview with a manager afterwards. Could someone who works for M&S/had an M&S interview please expand a little on this for me? I really don't want to mess it up because I very much need the job if I'm going to learn to drive! I want to know what to expect so I can rehearse before I have my interview.

There a few other questions that have been bothering me. If anyone could answer these that would be great!

How long after my interview will I be informed as to whether I have been successful or not?

The position I have applied for was described as a 'temporary' position. I am assuming the position is mainly for their Christmas build up. How long will the temporary position last and will I ever be offered a permanent contract?

Also, since applying for the particular times on the application, I have realised that other times advertised may be more suitable. Shall I mention this?

And finally, to attend my interview I have to miss an afternoon off college which doesn't look great. I did not want to change the date of my interview because I didn't want to make a bad impression. I've heard people say on here if you get the job you have to do two days training at a later date. Can you chose the days that you train? Because I'm not sure missing another two days off college will be okay.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Reply 1
I've had he interview but was unsuccessful so can't answer the bottom questions!

I was given a list of different ingredients to study for 10 minutes and had a 10 minute role play on how i'd react to someone asking for help getting room and drinks for a party. After this I had an interview which was about 20 minutes long, the whole thing lasted about 45 minutes.

The questions were the normal what can you bring to the company etc.
They also ask about all work experience.
I applied for a temp which was only 2 months! I asked at the interview if it could become perm, I'd ask this if i were you.

I was told i'd hear back in a week.
Reply 2
I had an interview with Mark's and Spencer's simply food store about 3 weeks ago but I still have not been told if I was successful or not.

I did have a role play which was about a customer coming in to buy some food for their dinner party but the items they wanted was all out of stock. You will have 10 minutes to prepare and may be given a sheet to help you. Just remember to offer as many alternatives as you can and try to up-sell.

You will get a feedback sheet and they will discuss how well you did in the role play.

Before my role play I was asked questions such as why I want to work for the company. I was not asked many competency based questions. Just questions about myself.

After this I went down to the shop floor and sorted selves for about 10 minutes. Overall, my interview lasted about 40 minutes.

At the end I was told I had passed the interview and the manager asked what hours I wanted as they were more available hours.

Just show confidence and interest in the company and you will do great.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending