The Student Room Group

GCSE Options Help

Hi, I'm not going to do these subjects for A Level so it doesn't reeaally matter, but it matters in terms of grades. Should I choose either GCSE Product Design or GCSE Geography?

Product Design seems much more of an enriching experience and looks so fun but apparently it's quite stressful and you have to literally stay after school everyday to work on coursework.

However, Geography seems also quite interesting and apparently it's quite easy (I got an A* in history so I should find it easier).

I need an easy, well easier, subject because I'm doing AS Maths and Triple Science plus English Lit and Latin this year and I won't be able to deal with a really hard time-consuming subject added on top of that list.

Please reply ASAP because I need to make up my mind for Friday at the latest :/ thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
I would go for geography. Not only is it more likely to provide you with relevant skills and understanding (it ties into bits of Chemistry as well as providing writing skills) but I generally find that creatives are much harder work. If you don't need DT, then there is no reason to overstress yourself, especially when your main focus should be any AS levels you are studying. Believe me, you extra time is better off spent studying maths and getting high UMS to give yourself a better chance of an A overall.
Geography. Product design may seem to not be time-consuming, but it probably will require loads of after school sessions etc.
Geography for me is much easier as I already chose Product Design and I am currently doing a ton of work
Reply 4
Geography is probably the better option, the work load isn't much at all to be honest in comparison to other subjects. You just have to revise for the exams well (the exams are pretty easy and some of the questions are just common knowledge tbh) and the the coursework is done under exam conditions at school so no outside school course work or after school. (That is providing you do AQA, I'm not sure on the structure of the other boards syllabus)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Geography for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Sounds like Geography! You could really do with a subject you feel comfortable in, I took health and social care as an easy option so I could really put the effort into an early AS and extra option and it paid off. With the subjects you're taking it would be nice to have a lesson you didn't need to put quite as much effort into so you can prioritise the harder subjects. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be doing Geography then :biggrin: should be good
Reply 8
Sorry guys, I've another dilemma!!! I really want to do Latin because not many schools offer it and I feel like I should make most of the choice and also it seems pretty interesting and fun and it should help me when I do A Level French (I go to a comp), but apparently it's pretty hard and I'm doing AS Maths and Triple science also this year soo.. The school also recommended that I don't do Latin as I don't have much previous knowledge of it etc (and I've already changed my options once )

But it's either Latin or Spanish, and to be honest I don't really want to do Spanish at all but it seems easy enough (I've already got an A* in French) ... So what should I do? please reply ASAP
Reply 9
I'd say do Spanish. It's a current language that's used worldwide so not only will you get a GCSE in it you will *hopefully* be able to transfer the skills from the classroom to the real world. Latin is a confusing, deprecated language that I'd only study if I had an interest in the basis and history of language.

Also, congratulations on the A* in French!

Quick Reply

Latest