The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Applying for Notts course with these AS grades?

Hey all,

I got AAB in my AS subjects with A's in History and Media and a B in English Lit (which I think was very close to an A and so I'm considering a remark) and I would love to study the English and History joint honours BA (QV31) at Nottingham.

The entry requirements for this are AAA-AAB but state A's in English and History are required as well as 4 A's at GCSE inc English which I did not get (I got 3 A's, 9B's and a C with B's in English Lit and Language).

Having visited the university for an open day, I know that there is some flexibility within courses as I was told the English course give some ABB offers for example.

So I was wondering whether I have a chance of getting an offer and therefore I should apply?

After visiting twice, including a residential stay, Nottingham is top of my list!

Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by BraddersYeldarb
Hey all,

I got AAB in my AS subjects with A's in History and Media and a B in English Lit (which I think was very close to an A and so I'm considering a remark) and I would love to study the English and History joint honours BA (QV31) at Nottingham.

The entry requirements for this are AAA-AAB but state A's in English and History are required as well as 4 A's at GCSE inc English which I did not get (I got 3 A's, 9B's and a C with B's in English Lit and Language).

Having visited the university for an open day, I know that there is some flexibility within courses as I was told the English course give some ABB offers for example.

So I was wondering whether I have a chance of getting an offer and therefore I should apply?

After visiting twice, including a residential stay, Nottingham is top of my list!

Apply, you have a strong chance. Regardless of your English GCSE grades, an A grade in AS History is more than enough to demonstrate you know what you're doing when it comes to essays. Go for it!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Dpdr
Apply, you have a strong chance. Regardless of your English GCSE grades, an A grade in AS History is more than enough to demonstrate you know what you're doing when it comes to essays. Go for it!

Thanks a bunch for the reply :biggrin:

I'm really determined to get to Nottingham but just wanted a second opinion as I was a little worried :P

Much appreciated!
Reply 3
Hey all,

UH, you have a fantastic chance of receiving an offer! especially if your personal statement is good, and taking into account that unis can take as many ABB+ students as they like this year, AND on top of all that, Nottingham will more than likely be flexible with offers!

What are you hoping to be predicted? :biggrin:

I'm in the same position as you, more or less, hehe! Nottingham is BY FAR going to be my top choice - so beautiful :wink:
I'm applying to study English which asks for AAA-AAB, with AS grades of AAC (in order of English, Sociology, Philosophy - so close to be a B!) - i'm hoping to be predicted A*A*B - A*AB - hope we both get an offer!!

:biggrin:
Original post by HollyOnIce
UH, you have a fantastic chance of receiving an offer! especially if your personal statement is good, and taking into account that unis can take as many ABB+ students as they like this year, AND on top of all that, Nottingham will more than likely be flexible with offers!

What are you hoping to be predicted? :biggrin:

I'm in the same position as you, more or less, hehe! Nottingham is BY FAR going to be my top choice - so beautiful :wink:
I'm applying to study English which asks for AAA-AAB, with AS grades of AAC (in order of English, Sociology, Philosophy - so close to be a B!) - i'm hoping to be predicted A*A*B - A*AB - hope we both get an offer!!

:biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: I'm glad to hear that Nottingham and uni's in general are being more flexible and lenient! :P and I'm bit by bit working on my personal statement currently for my school's deadline of the week before October half term so hopefully all will be okay!

Only thing I noticed was that theres only 16 places for English and History joint honours? Which worried me a little aha ;P that's made me think I could go for straight History or maybe English but the joint is my preferred and if I change my personal statement has to a bit too :P

Ohh really, what a coincidence aha :P and yeah I agree I just love the whole feel of the place ;D

Congrats on the great AS grades :biggrin: and hopefully you'll get those predictions!! My school generally predicts one grade higher I think so I could be predicted A*A*A which would be great :3 anything around that kind of area I'd love haha ;P

Here's hoping we both get an offer too!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thanks :biggrin: I'm glad to hear that Nottingham and uni's in general are being more flexible and lenient! :P and I'm bit by bit working on my personal statement currently for my school's deadline of the week before October half term so hopefully all will be okay!

Only thing I noticed was that theres only 16 places for English and History joint honours? Which worried me a little aha ;P that's made me think I could go for straight History or maybe English but the joint is my preferred and if I change my personal statement has to a bit too :P

Ohh really, what a coincidence aha :P and yeah I agree I just love the whole feel of the place ;D

Congrats on the great AS grades :biggrin: and hopefully you'll get those predictions!! My school generally predicts one grade higher I think so I could be predicted A*A*A which would be great :3 anything around that kind of area I'd love haha ;P

Here's hoping we both get an offer too!! :biggrin:

I know! when I found out that the cap on AAB students had been lifted and replaced with ABB - I nearly cried! it means we have great chances with unis this year with our grades!!

OH ARE YOU SERIOUS?! THAT'S EXACTLY THE DEADLINE OF MY SCHOOL, haha! and same! I've written my statement, but day by day, i'm going back to it to make it as fantastic as possible, hehe! :P

Oh thank you! you too! I hope I can get those predictions, and I hope you can get yours as well! let me know if you do! I think for me, I will definitely be predicted A*AB, but i'm hoping for that extra A*, haha! :biggrin:

I think you have as good a chance as anyone regarding an offer - plus this year, I've heard so many people who got offers of AAB etc, get into Nottingham with ABC and so on! plus, so many have been getting predicted around A*AB, and getting offers for courses like Maths! :O so we should be in with a chance!! xD
I know! when I found out that the cap on AAB students had been lifted and replaced with ABB - I nearly cried! it means we have great chances with unis this year with our grades!!

OH ARE YOU SERIOUS?! THAT'S EXACTLY THE DEADLINE OF MY SCHOOL, haha! and same! I've written my statement, but day by day, i'm going back to it to make it as fantastic as possible, hehe! :P

Oh thank you! you too! I hope I can get those predictions, and I hope you can get yours as well! let me know if you do! I think for me, I will definitely be predicted A*AB, but i'm hoping for that extra A*, haha! :biggrin:

I think you have as good a chance as anyone regarding an offer - plus this year, I've heard so many people who got offers of AAB etc, get into Nottingham with ABC and so on! plus, so many have been getting predicted around A*AB, and getting offers for courses like Maths! :O so we should be in with a chance!! xD

Yeahh that's a really great thing :biggrin:

Ahaha what a coincidence xD Yeahh my school encourage early applications even though I've read that it really doesn't matter due to equal opportunity and everything! Ah well done! I haven't completed a version yet but got plenty of time I think ;P and yeahh that's a good idea, re-reading for improvements :tongue:

Thank you :smile: yeahh a lot of hoping and wishing is going on but if we just put in the hard work we should be fine! :biggrin: yeahh I will providing I remember aha ;P good luck with that extra A* :wink:

Aha thank you :smile: and oh really?!! that's a huge relief for us then ahaha :tongue:
Reply 7
Yeahh that's a really great thing :biggrin:

Ahaha what a coincidence xD Yeahh my school encourage early applications even though I've read that it really doesn't matter due to equal opportunity and everything! Ah well done! I haven't completed a version yet but got plenty of time I think ;P and yeahh that's a good idea, re-reading for improvements :tongue:

Thank you :smile: yeahh a lot of hoping and wishing is going on but if we just put in the hard work we should be fine! :biggrin: yeahh I will providing I remember aha ;P good luck with that extra A* :wink:

Aha thank you :smile: and oh really?!! that's a huge relief for us then ahaha :tongue:

I think mine does too - but I just want to get it in mid-October, so that I can start hopefully getting offers (PLEASE NOTTINGHAM LOVE ME FOREVER!), as the worry all of this application business is inducing, is driving me mad! :P

Yes you have plenty of time! :biggrin:

Yes definitely, practice makes perfect as they say :wink:

And thank you :wink: I would really love it, as the A* would be for English - and considering i'm applying to study that, it would be perfect :P
I think mine does too - but I just want to get it in mid-October, so that I can start hopefully getting offers (PLEASE NOTTINGHAM LOVE ME FOREVER!), as the worry all of this application business is inducing, is driving me mad! :P

Yes you have plenty of time! :biggrin:

Yes definitely, practice makes perfect as they say :wink:

And thank you :wink: I would really love it, as the A* would be for English - and considering i'm applying to study that, it would be perfect :P

Yeahh me too, the anxious wait for replies will be horrible xD and yeah I agree, it's driving me crazy too, I can't wait for it to be all over!!

Phew! :tongue: and yep indeed :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin: and that would just bolster your application that bit more ahah :wink:
Reply 9
Yeahh me too, the anxious wait for replies will be horrible xD and yeah I agree, it's driving me crazy too, I can't wait for it to be all over!!

Phew! :tongue: and yep indeed :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin: and that would just bolster your application that bit more ahah :wink:

I know exactly how you feel! I can't wait until my application is sent off - I reckon i'm going to be one of those people who check for offers every day! i'll just be so anxious! :P
And yes it would, hehe! :P
I know exactly how you feel! I can't wait until my application is sent off - I reckon i'm going to be one of those people who check for offers every day! i'll just be so anxious! :P
And yes it would, hehe! :P

Haha I know I think I'll be the same! :tongue: Especially if there's only 16 places :s-smilie:

Thank you for the help! :biggrin:
Haha I know I think I'll be the same! :tongue: Especially if there's only 16 places :s-smilie:

Thank you for the help! :biggrin:

you're in with a good chance - try not to fret!

you're welcome, and thank you for yours, hehe! :biggrin:
you're in with a good chance - try not to fret!

you're welcome, and thank you for yours, hehe! :biggrin:

and it's no problem :biggrin:
I had ABC prediction, applyed for 5 AAB courses and got them all! Ended up getting A*A*A so shows anything can happen!

best of luck!
Original post by mandem2k11
I had ABC prediction, applyed for 5 AAB courses and got them all! Ended up getting A*A*A so shows anything can happen!

best of luck!

Ahh well done!! :biggrin: and yeah that does show that I should aim for that my target, thanks!
I have posted this in another thread but will impart it here again: predicted grades are more important than AS grades so as long as you are predicted to meet the minimum entry requirements then you will be fine, regardless of your B in AS English.

With English they do stipulate that you need to attain an A. To tell you that they offer ABB in exceptional circumstances is true, but wouldn't apply to you because you would need an A in history and English to get on the course, whereas someone doing straight english can get their A in english plus two Bs in other subjects and still be fine. It is worth giving the department an email if I was you.
Aha in an update to this having received my English remark I now have an A in English too :biggrin: so I'm definitely going to apply!!

Thanks for all the help though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending