Can I do Optometry with BTEC science? Watch

junaid95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there, I'm currently at college studying A level Maths and Chemistry and BTEC Science Level 3. I really want to study optometry at university but I'm worried they won't allow me because I am doing BTEC science.

I would really appreciate it if you could share any information with me on if university's will allow me to do optometry with my current subjects.

Thank you
dobby101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello Junaid,
I think if you do Biology A-level instead of chemistry you'll have a better chance of getting into a uni to do Optometry, most of the good unis will ask for BTEC Level 3 extended diploma with A-level biology or BTEC Certificate with 2 A-levels one including Biology so pick Biology and not Chemistry.

Hopefully this helps
junaid95
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply Dobby

I'm much more confident in my Chemistry than I am with my Biology, is there still a chance I could get in without biology? I'm also doing maths so could this not make up for not doing biology?
dobby101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by junaid95)
Thanks for the reply Dobby

I'm much more confident in my Chemistry than I am with my Biology, is there still a chance I could get in without biology? I'm also doing maths so could this not make up for not doing biology?
What universities are you looking at going to? So I can help you abit better
junaid95
Rep:
?
(Original post by dobby101)
What universities are you looking at going to? So I can help you abit better
Thanks, Preferably Manchester and Bradford
dobby101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks, Preferably Manchester and Bradford
Manchester University say for A-levels:

A-level

Grades AAB. 2 A levels in Biology, Maths, Physics or Chemistry at grade A (normally to be taken in one sitting). General Studies is welcomed, but is not normally included as part of the offer.

BTEC Extended Diploma

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science or Applied Science (Medical Science) with Distinctions in 120 credits from the following units: 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22 and 43.

For Manchester I think it would be easier for you to do a BTEC Extended diploma in medical/applied science instead of a BTEC certificate as it'll be easier to get the grades. Also your BTEC certificate may not have all the units Manchester require. If you can get an A in Chemistry then I think you'd need to get Distinctions in all your Biology BTEC Units.

For Bradford University (which is one of the country's top Optometry uni's) requires a high standard

Typical offer (UCAS tariff points): 340

Typically 3 A-level science subjects (i.e. Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry), or a minimum of 2 A-level science subjects both at grade A and a non-science A level at grade B or higher. General Studies or Key Skills points are not counted. Work experience within optometry will strongly support an application.

GCSE English, Maths and at least 2 sciences (i.e. Double Award Science Biology/Chemistry/Physics) minimum grade C.

You'd need to get an A in Biology and Chemistry A level and an A in yur A-level Maths too

But im sure other unis will be slightly lenient towards you
junaid95
Rep:
?
thanks for the info,

do you think I can get into optometry at either of the uni's by achieving 340 ucas points or more, without getting A's in my A-Levels and instead getting the majority of my points from my btec?
dobby101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thanks for the info,

do you think I can get into optometry at either of the uni's by achieving 340 ucas points or more, without getting A's in my A-Levels and instead getting the majority of my points from my btec?
If you get DDD in your BTEC then you'll be fine but if you was unsure just do 1 A-level if you can and do that as a private candidate if your college/schoole doesnt allow you too. It would also be advantageous for you to do work experience in different fields of optometry
saim123321
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dobby101)
Manchester University say for A-levels:

A-level

Grades AAB. 2 A levels in Biology, Maths, Physics or Chemistry at grade A (normally to be taken in one sitting). General Studies is welcomed, but is not normally included as part of the offer.

BTEC Extended Diploma

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science or Applied Science (Medical Science) with Distinctions in 120 credits from the following units: 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22 and 43.

For Manchester I think it would be easier for you to do a BTEC Extended diploma in medical/applied science instead of a BTEC certificate as it'll be easier to get the grades. Also your BTEC certificate may not have all the units Manchester require. If you can get an A in Chemistry then I think you'd need to get Distinctions in all your Biology BTEC Units.

For Bradford University (which is one of the country's top Optometry uni's) requires a high standard

Typical offer (UCAS tariff points): 340

Typically 3 A-level science subjects (i.e. Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry), or a minimum of 2 A-level science subjects both at grade A and a non-science A level at grade B or higher. General Studies or Key Skills points are not counted. Work experience within optometry will strongly support an application.

GCSE English, Maths and at least 2 sciences (i.e. Double Award Science Biology/Chemistry/Physics) minimum grade C.

You'd need to get an A in Biology and Chemistry A level and an A in yur A-level Maths too

But im sure other unis will be slightly lenient towards you
Hey I'm interested in doing BTEC Level 3 science in college. And wanting to study Optometry in University. I'm thinking about going to Manchester Uni, but will they accept BTEC Level 3 Science? With no other A level science
aysha98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I'm doing BTEC Level 3 science in college. And i aslo want to study Optometry in University. I'm thinking about going to Manchester Uni, but will they accept BTEC Level 3 Science? With no other A level science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (129)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (63)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (374)
56.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.24%

Watched Threads