The Student Room Group

Girls: What contraception do you use/which is best?

I'm just wondering which contraceptive method to go on as there's so many out there and I've got a friend on pretty much every type....so which is best? This is assuming I'm in a committed relationship so won't be using condoms.

Most girls are on the pill but I have an aversion to this as my aunt was on it from age 13 and developed breast cancer in her 30s and was told that was the probable reason....

One friend has the coil but says it makes her periods heavy and painful, another got the injection (but it was in her bum!) and it made her bleed for a month, another got the implant and said they cut a big hole in her arm and then she can feel it moving around under her fingers when she touches it.....I'm really stuck as which one would be best :confused:
Reply 1
The perfect method of contraception does not exist, so it depends on your preferences and response to the various methods.

The coil your friend has probably wasn't a hormonal one, because those tend to lighten periods. On the other hand, not everyone wants one inserted and they need to be changed more frequently than other kinds. See line one :smile:
Reply 2
I have the implant, and if its the insertion you're worried about, dont be- the actual insertion took about 10 seconds and I literally felt nothing, I didn't even know it had gone in. It's not a hole either- its basically an applicator which pushes the implant under your skin. The only point which was slightly uncomfortable was the local anesthetic which prickled under my skin, like a little nettle sting for a few seconds before being numb. As for being able to feel it under your skin, you can, but you get used to it and its a minor thing for such a hassle free contraception.

Before the implant I tried 2 types of combined pill- Microgynon, which was fine until about 4 months in when I started with breakthrough bleeding, bloating headaches and feeling extremely hormonal, and then Cilest, for which I felt horrendously ill on.

So far the implant has been almost perfect- no side effects apart from one day of bleeding and a couple of days of spotting 2 weeks after it was put in, so hopefully any bleeding will stay light and infrequent!

Obviously all contraceptives suit people differently, so sadly its all trial and error- there is a progesterone only pill, which doesn't have the same side effects that oestrogen based ones carry, so its really best to go to the GP and start from there :smile:

Good Luck!
Reply 3
I have the nexplanon implant. Insertion was fine, they give you anaesthetic so you can't feel it. I've had really messed up periods though.
Original post by unprinted
The perfect method of contraception does not exist, so it depends on your preferences and response to the various methods.

The coil your friend has probably wasn't a hormonal one, because those tend to lighten periods. On the other hand, not everyone wants one inserted and they need to be changed more frequently than other kinds. See line one :smile:

both the copper and more a coil have 5 and 10 year versions. There's no difference in how much they need to be changed.

But as with the first pout, there is no "best" since there is a history of breast cancer in your family, your doctor probably wouldn't put you on the combined pill anyway, but the progesterone only pill doesn't carry the same risks. Some people don't like using the pill because it only takes forgetting one to be a risk of pregnancy.

I have a copper coil and it has made my periods a little longer, but nothing else. The hormonal coil can often stop periods altogether, but I knew someone on it who bled for 5 months. (this can also happen with the implant) Coils can also often be painful to have fitted.

Some women don't like having their period stop completely as its a form of reassurance that they are not pregnant each month.

There are a couple of hormonal options which are changed weekly, these are the patch and vaginal ring quick work in the sake way as the pill but through the skin or locally to the reproductive system.

You could consider the cap or diaphragm which you insert before sex and use with spermicide, but these have higher pregnancy rates than many other contraceptions.

The only other option is the natural family panning method. This can be very reliable if you do it right. For this you need a regular cycle and a lot of patience. You need to be prepared to chart your cycles, take your temperature every morning and use ovulation tests and be prepared to not have sex or use condoms during your fertile days. It is the only contraceptive method that has no side effects.

My advice would be to do a lot of research and go to a sexual health clinic and talk through your options in depth with an expert in order to decide what is best for you. Always bear in mind that any horror stories are very very rare and shouldn't put you off as they are very unlikely to happen to you. You wouldn't dismiss antibiotics becaus of the tiny risk of a rare but severe side effect
I have the copper coil. My periods are a few days longer since having it and that's it, some women get really bad pains and heavy periods with it though. I've never been on anything else (just used to use condoms before I got it) so I cant compare. I did consider getting the hormone coil and the implant but as they can stop your periods I decided not to go for them as I know several women who had their periods stopped by their contraception got pregnant and didn't realise until they were a few months gone :eek: I do have friends who have these and like them. Most women I know who had the depo injection had bad experiences with it, as you can only wait for it to leave your system if you react badly to it I'll never consider it. I cant take the combined pill due to my family medical history (guessing that means I wouldn't be allowed the ring or patch either) but I choose not to take the mini pill as I'd never remember to take it everyday.
Original post by Gunpowdergelatin
I'm just wondering which contraceptive method to go on as there's so many out there and I've got a friend on pretty much every type....so which is best? This is assuming I'm in a committed relationship so won't be using condoms.

Most girls are on the pill but I have an aversion to this as my aunt was on it from age 13 and developed breast cancer in her 30s and was told that was the probable reason....

One friend has the coil but says it makes her periods heavy and painful, another got the injection (but it was in her bum!) and it made her bleed for a month, another got the implant and said they cut a big hole in her arm and then she can feel it moving around under her fingers when she touches it.....I'm really stuck as which one would be best :confused:

Bleugh, the pill. I would never take the pill. It has too many side effects http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/combined-contraceptive-pill.aspx !...btw I trust the NHS, because.......its the N.H.S. = the National Health Service - its in charge of my local clinic!

I think the best contraceptive is a condom, even if it isn't always effective!
(edited 10 years ago)
I take Cerazette. It's a progesterone only pill and I've been on it for 5 years without complication. The only down side I've found is that my periods are irregular. Sometimes I don't get one for 6 months and sometimes twice in a month. Effects on people can be different though, so you won't necessarily have the same as me.

The one "concern" with contraceptives that get rid of periods is "if they're working you don't get periods. If they're not, you still don't." I think I might have heard that on House actually! But if I go too long without one I just stop taking it for a few weeks to check everything goes back to normal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm on the combined pill (went from microgynon to regevidon and personally never had any issues, i cant imagine not being on it now. barely any period pains, i know when im going to come on right down to the hour, i have no side effects at all, have an alarm on my phone so i dont forget it. i think it's great and everyone i know who has the implant has had horrendously unpredictable periods. I think you just need to find one that suits you, different things work for different people.
Reply 9
I used the Evra patches. I don't know anyone else who use these but me but I tried Microgynon 30 and they used to make me sick, then I went on the injection and that have me major acne and actually have me a light period constantly for 6 months, so I went back on the pill, this time Marvelon but it lowered my libido, then I settled on the Evra patch, they are like stop smoking patches. You put one on once a week for three weeks, then take it off and have a period, I swear by them, however they do make my bum itchy where I wear it and apparently they're quite expensive because my doctor keeps trying to take them off me, and finally you can't use them after the age of 30 :-( x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have the implant it didn't hurt at all it only moves if you sit there fiddling with it!. Im also on cerezette this is because I still had chronic periods on the implant, the implant stopped the period pain the cerezette stops the bleeding. I cant take combined pill as when I was 15 I had a blood clot and mini stroke, but cerezette is amazing its now just part of my routine to take it
I used to use Evra patches but they brought me out in a rash in the place where I stuck them and they sometimes fell off in the shower. I'm on the Microgynon 30 pill now and I much prefer it. I have no side effects at all and it works well for me so I don't see the point in changing.
I was on the combined pill (Rigevidon) for about 6 months. It made me pretty depressed and I had a lot of mood swings, I also gained a bit of weight and had occasional nausea. It settled down around the 4th month, but then I started forgetting to take it, so I switched to Nexplanon.
Like someone's already mentioned, the actual insertion didn't hurt at all apart from the anaesthetic being injected. My arm was bruised where it was inserted but it faded completely in two weeks. The side effects have been a lot less in terms of my overall mood, and I lost the weight I gained while on the pill in a month (about half a stone). The only downside is the bleeding, which started a week after I got it and hasn't completely stopped since; it cycles between a very light spotting and full period. Hoping it'll ease off, I've only had nexplanon for a month and a half.
The good thing is it's so effective, and you don't need to remember to take a pill every day :biggrin:
I am on the implant due to a medical condition and i love it, it was the best thing i ever did! I'm pain free and my periods are under control :smile: i would suggest going to your GP who knows your history and family history and go through all the contraceptives with him, get leaflets on them and decide which is best for YOU. Everyone is different when it comes to contraception so this would be the best way to go about it :smile:
Reply 14
I'm on the mini pill (desogestrel) because I used to get really bad migraines and messed up periods.
To be honest, its changed my life. I went on the pill 9 months ago and I've ony had one weak migraine since.
My periods have almost stopped completely, apart from about every two months or so I get a light bleed that lasts a few hours.
I take it as soon as I wake up - its kind of become a habit now. I set an alarm if I'm likely to lie in or more likely to forget when I'm busy.
Now I'm in a relationship, I think about this a lot more seriously. I still use condoms every time, but I was thinking of maybe trying going without. The implant seems like a good option, but I'm nervous it wont have the same effect as my pill.
cerazette for about two and half years. I wouldn't say it's great as I've put on loads of weight since starting it. also had a blood clot which my GP thinks it's because of the pill. on the other hand, I've not had a period which is awesome.

I had mirena coil put in few months ago but because it shifted, I had to have it taken off and still thinking about whether to have it or not.

Before that I was on depo provera shots. Now that's awful. Painful injections every 12 weeks and horrible side effects like headache and stomach pain so bad I ended up in hospital several times. Also fell pregnant whilst on it and miscarried at about six weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I swear by the depo injection. It's not really in your bum, just above (more like lower back) and I get slight spotting but other than that my periods have disappeared completely which I like 😊 no other symptoms! Perfect!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Different girls react differently to all types of contraception. I don't understand why you would eliminate the thought of using condoms. Most of the time, me & my partner use condoms, but occasionally we decide to make love without them, although, we always ensure he cums inside a condom, as we are committed - we have been together for 2 years - but we are not ready to have a baby. I'm also on the Microgynon contraceptive pill. Take your girlfriend to a Doctors and they will make suggestions on the best method for you. I was put on Antibiotics for a fortnight, 3 weeks ago (Flucloxacillin) for an infection and I had a side effect to the original medicine so I was given another prescription. Because I was put on a cream (for my lady bits, as I had developed an issue down there), I was advised that I had to use further precautions. If a condom was used, the cream would decrease the safety rates and the pill would possibly be less effective on the Flucloxacillin tablets, therefore, we made a correct decision to use both methods. No methods protect 100% but you could say, that with both of these forms, you are 100% protected as both have rates of over 95%. I would always recommend these forms. :smile:

Did you come to a decision about what might sit you best?
Reply 19
I used to take the pill but kept forgetting! I'm now on the implant which I have just had changed. It lasts for 3 years, first one is injected in and any subsequent ones they make a small cut (mine is literally about 5mms) so they can get the old one out and then put the new one on the same place. You can feel it under your skin but it doesn't move about of its own accord! Eventually it sort of gets fused in place. I like the fact that I can just forget about contraception for 3 years and I also don't get any periods with it which is nice!

With the injections you have to get it done every 3 months and you should have a break from it every 1-2 years. I don't really know anything about the coil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest