The Student Room Group

eBay advice needed: 100+ views, 5 watchers but nobody's buying...

I'm selling an iPhone 4 (used) on eBay using the Buy It Now and Best Offer options. I've had over 100 views and currently have 5 watchers, along with 4 offers. I have rejected 2 of the offers and am still waiting for the other 2's response (since I've given them a counter offer). The listing ends in 2 days but since it I've only enabled the Buy it Now/Best Offer options (and not the auction one), I'm beginning to wonder whether I've set my buy it now price too high.

Can someone shed light on this issue- will people begin giving more offers, or use the buy it now option, in the last hour of the listing or is it possible I have set the price too high? I'm quite new to this :colondollar:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
I'm an ebayer but tbh, I've always used the auction option with the Buy It Now used sparingly so I can't provide specifics on those.

You've had offers so that is a sign of interest but depends on how the price is negotiated and how much you want for it. Iphones tend to fly out from ebay quite quickly so I'm sure it will sell.

What I sometimes do is watch an item that is specifically similiar to mine, see how much it sells for (auction) as it helps me gage how much my item will go for and then whack it on!

Personally, I would have done it as an auction with a Buy It Now price alongside it. People would rather go through the auction route than Buy it Now unless it was a rare item.
Reply 2
What price did you set (just wondering)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kumori
What price did you set (just wondering)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I initially set the BIN at £180 but have reduced it down to £160...Most of my best offers seem to be between £100 to £130. The iPhone 4 has a few scratches on the front and back and the camera doesn't focus on nearby objects....Do you think I should lower the price or wait until the last hour for the listing- I have 6 watchers and about 150 views so far? :cool:
If it's a buy it now most people don't bother waiting until the last hour to buy, they only really do that for auctions. If you aren't in a rush to sell it, I suggest keeping it at the price you set and just wait for the right buyer to come along.
Reply 5
I've reduced the price down to £155 and the views seem to be increasing more and the number of watchers has shot up to 9...Is this a good sign? Nobody seems to want to take the plunge and click that golden button :redface:

I'm in a rush to get it sold so I can use the money to buy a Nexus 4 whilst it is still in stock :cool:
Reply 6
Most likely they are taking time whether or not to buy it so with 9 watchers I would expect someone to buy it, maybe take an extra fiver off:P
Reply 7
Original post by Sami'
Most likely they are taking time whether or not to buy it so with 9 watchers I would expect someone to buy it, maybe take an extra fiver off:P

Thanks, will do at around 6pm ...I'm selling this phone with some accessories and I also paid for it to be unlocked, so the total cost for me was around £200... I'll be reducing the price down to £150 if no one buys it in the next few hours *sighs* :redface:
Reply 8
Seems like a high price for a phone with a faulty camera
Original post by bobbricks
Thanks, will do at around 6pm ...I'm selling this phone with some accessories and I also paid for it to be unlocked, so the total cost for me was around £200... I'll be reducing the price down to £150 if no one buys it in the next few hours *sighs* :redface:

I think you should maybe lower it to £150 and then add to the description that this is the lowest you will go, because currently people will just think you're going to keep lowering it and so they won't buy it.
Reply 10
Original post by theCreator
I think you should maybe lower it to £150 and then add to the description that this is the lowest you will go, because currently people will just think you're going to keep lowering it and so they won't buy it.

I can't seem to add to the description...Just found out that it's because I've given counter-offers...Do you think I should cancel them if I don't hear back from them tomorrow?
Original post by bobbricks
I can't seem to add to the description...Just found out that it's because I've given counter-offers...Do you think I should cancel them if I don't hear back from them tomorrow?

I think it would probably be best to leave it at £155 actually, then just wait until the listing ends, someone will probably buy it, if not you can always accept the highest offer you get just before the time runs out.
Reply 12
Stick it on Gumtree as well
Reply 13
Original post by Holly Birk
Seems like a high price for a phone with a faulty camera

How much would you suggest I sell it for? :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending