The Student Room Group

Getting accepted in a masters which is unrelated to my bachelors (Languages-politics)

Hello,

I'm going into my 4th year at Cardiff university having just finished my year abroad. I'm studying French and Spanish as my bachelors but would like to study politics as my masters (also at Cardiff). However, I'm not actually sure if it's possible to get accepted since I studied something unrelated...but then again, there are subjects which could be a lot further apart. I understand that the best thing I can do is to talk to someone in my department (languages and politics are the same school) but I thought I'd ask here first to get your opinions.

I honestly don't know if I have much going in my favour. I did study one semester in Sciences Po Rennes, a political science university in France as part of my degree at Cardiff. I studied politically orientated subjects whilst there (political history). Since the language and politics department are in the same school here in Cardiff, I have therefore taken a few modules in politics (one in first year, my year abroad and then this year I'm going to take another one).

Am I being naive in thinking that I could get accepted?

'Entry Requirements
A minimum 2:1 degree classification or equivalent qualification. Suitable for graduates in Politics, International Relations, Economics and Public Administration.

In addition, applicants whose first language is not English must obtain a British Council IELTS score of at least 7.0, or an equivalent English language qualification.

Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.'

(edited 10 years ago)
It's a masters in European Governance and Public Policy (MSc Econ).
Not naive at all; your background sounds pretty good to me. It would help further if your final year dissertation had a political slant to it (as much as one can on a languages degree). Regardless though, I can't see why you wouldn't get an offer, though it's best just to email the department and ask them directly, or if it's the same university as your undergraduate then just pop in and ask.
I've known several people make that transition and you're helped by the fact that both come under European Studies at Cardiff. I can't imagine it will be a barrier. Just make sure to pull those aspects through in your personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending