The Student Room Group

PgCert worth it?

I was just wondering if a PgCert is worth much or if it is better to just get an MA? Going into third year I'm possibly considering going into postgraduate studies when I graduate but I'm not entirely sure whether it is worth it. The course is in Politics and International Relations at Lancaster and is considerably cheaper than an MA. Doing it part-time I could realistically work to pay the tuition fees and seeing as I live in the area I won't have to spend much on accommodation.

Any help, advice or information will be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
CORRECTED: As per maskofsanity below (thanks for catching that!), a PG*Cert* is a lower qualification than both a full Masters and PG*Dip*. Again, I don't think that employers will be particularly familiar with it and I think my original advice remains the same.

It depends whether you want to study for your own interest or whether you have a target career in mind. If the former and all you can afford is a PGCert, then why not. If you think you'll need some kind of postgraduate qualification in future, I'd be inclined to take some time out and save the money for the full Masters.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's not worth it at all from what I've read. A PGCert is typically just a third of a Master's; it is probably given out more frequently as an exit award for those who drop out early than as an individual qualification. Even a PGDip is not worth it. Neither will allow you to apply for Politics/IR PhDs nor are they any benefit for applying to jobs. What were you planning to do after the PGCert? Maybe it would be better to delay postgraduate study until you are able to do a Master's.
Original post by Klix88
In most fields, a PGCert is the taught part of a Masters without the final dissertation element.

I think that is a PGDip.
Reply 4
Original post by maskofsanity
I think that is a PGDip.

Oops, yes you're right of course. I'll flag my post above accordingly.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88

It depends whether you want to study for your own interest or whether you have a target career in mind. If the former and all you can afford is a PGCert, then why not. If you think you'll need some kind of postgraduate qualification in future, I'd be inclined to take some time out and save the money for the full Masters.

This.

Also, having a pg cert or dip often - perhaps unfairly, but it happens - gives the perception of having the consolation prize for having dropped out of a masters.
Even if the certificate is offered as an seperate course from an MA, you'll be up against countless grads with MAs (plus work history), unless it's a subject normally offered as a certificate (like teacher training) employers won't be impressed.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
CORRECTED: As per maskofsanity below (thanks for catching that!), a PG*Cert* is a lower qualification than both a full Masters and PG*Dip*. Again, I don't think that employers will be particularly familiar with it and I think my original advice remains the same.

Well I kinda just want to carry on with the subject as I find it interesting, but at the same time I want it to be something useful for employment. At the moment I don't really have any career targets and I'm just trying to figure things out and look more into my options for the future. Seeing as it is offered for Masters drop outs it doesn't sound like it would useful employment wise. Thanks for replying btw.

Original post by maskofsanity
It's not worth it at all from what I've read. A PGCert is typically just a third of a Master's; it is probably given out more frequently as an exit award for those who drop out early than as an individual qualification. Even a PGDip is not worth it. Neither will allow you to apply for Politics/IR PhDs nor are they any benefit for applying to jobs. What were you planning to do after the PGCert? Maybe it would be better to delay postgraduate study until you are able to do a Master's.

That isn't great news, but thanks for pointing it out wouldn't have known otherwise. I'm not entirely sure what I would plan to do after the PGCert, just trying to look into my options a little bit. Doubt I could handle going on to study for a PhD though. I think you are right, if I go on to postgraduate I might as well wait until I can afford an MA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending