The Simple Reason Why Gay Marriage Is Rejected by the Church Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheReligion
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
The Bible disagrees with it, and to go to heaven and be a true follower one must agree with all that is in the bible. That people, is the church.
Where you get off accusing the church of being homophobic, I don't know. I dont understand why the public seems to think that the church should change with society. God warned believers against the world, saying we are in it, but not of it.
Christianity has set rules, which no one but God himself has the right to change. Some idiotic theologians have been trying to twist the words of the bible saying that God didn't actually say anything against homosexuality, well they are just seeking some sort of reassurance that their beliefs on the matter are in line with God.
In the New testament, Corinthians chapter 6, verses 9-10. I will give you a small quote otherwise you'll accuse me of 'bible bashing'.
"Do not be fooled....Those who sin sexually...are male prostitutes OR MEN WHO HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH OTHER MEN...will not inherit Gods Kingdom.
So you see the bible is clear, there is no obscurity. You have a choice, you can either dismiss it, or you can accept it. DO NOT try to accuse the church of being old fashioned because we are only following the Bible.
It is tough being a christian, yes we also do bad things, we are sinners. Thats why Jesus was sent down to earth, to wipe our sins away.
100 years ago people would have agreed with what I'm saying, today they will shrug it off because they just cannot give up the sinful lives they are living.
If you want to know more about Christianity and what it has to offer, please feel free to send me a private message, i think I;ve gone on long enough.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Your wrong.

"Do not be fooled....Those who sin sexually...are male prostitutes OR MEN WHO HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH OTHER MEN...will not inherit Gods Kingdom."

That says Gay sex is wrong, not gay marridge.
TheReligion
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
The simple reason why gay marriage will eventually be accepted by the Church: the Church adapts to remain popular.
Yes, and quite frankly I find it sickening. I heard of high profile bishops voting for homosexuality to be taught in classrooms, or something like that. I am not of the Catholic Church, nor the Church of England. It's farcical how the Catholic Church can allow a gay man to be made priest. In effect they have given up all their principles and connections with God.
They should know better and not give into society, that is after all part of the christian lifestyle.
TheReligion
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
Your wrong.

"Do not be fooled....Those who sin sexually...are male prostitutes OR MEN WHO HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH OTHER MEN...will not inherit Gods Kingdom."

I'm sorry but you have not read it thoroughly.
It also mentions gay prostitutes, is that not a give away, i mean what do prostitutes do?
Married people have sex, so of course if gays were to be married they would make love, God would not allow them to live with such temptation.
Sorry, you have no argument there.
MuniE
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If anyone believed everything the bible says they would be stuck in the middle ages. Stop gay bashing, you may not agree with what they are but they aren't hurting you in anyway so get over it.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheReligion)
Yes, and quite frankly I find it sickening. I heard of high profile bishops voting for homosexuality to be taught in classrooms, or something like that. I am not of the Catholic Church, nor the Church of England. It's farcical how the Catholic Church can allow a gay man to be made priest. In effect they have given up all their principles and connections with God.
They should know better and not give into society, that is after all part of the christian lifestyle.

Has the Catholic Church allowed a gay man to become a priest? If he is a Catholic priest he cannot have sexual relations of any kind so it doesn't matter if he's gay. It's in CoE where it's a problem because their ministers can have relationships.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Your wrong.

For the Church, sex and marriage pretty much go together.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm sorry but you have not read it thoroughly.
It also mentions gay prostitutes, is that not a give away, i mean what do prostitutes do?
Married people have sex, so of course if gays were to be married they would make love, God would not allow them to live with such temptation.
Sorry, you have no argument there.
Hmm...

'Those who sin sexually' -- about sex 'are male prostitutes' again about sex (it has not mentioned anything about gay yet..) 'Men who have sexual relations with other men will not..etc' - 'sexual relations' it does not say 'relations'

The passage you have quoted states that gay sex in the bibles view is wrong, it in noway states that being gay is wrong or having gay marridge is wrong.
Married people have sex? Not all the time. Why would marridge be any more of a temptation to have sex than normal? Didn't think so.
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
Right............
TheReligion
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
Hmm...

'Those who sin sexually' -- about sex 'are male prostitutes' again about sex (it has not mentioned anything about gay yet..) 'Men who have sexual relations with other men will not..etc' - 'sexual relations' it does not say 'relations'

The passage you have quoted states that gay sex in the bibles view is wrong, it in noway states that being gay is wrong or having gay marridge is wrong.
Married people have sex? Not all the time. Why would marridge be any more of a temptation to have sex than normal? Didn't think so.
You do know you are just trying to twist the bible. What I said could not be more crystal clear.
Gays may not be harming physically or whatever, but their lifestyle has become so prevalent and is beginning to affect religion, which it shouldn't.
You people know what is right, do you ever wonder why humans have a conscience? God gave it to us, not Darwin. And I very much know that somewhere deep within your hearts, you know that homosexuality is wrong but you ONLY defend it when the church attacks it, yes? This is because many people are simply afraid of the truth so they'll join any group who oppose it.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Hmm...

Married people have sex? Not all the time.
But surely in practically all marriages the couple did have sex at some point?

A better argument would be that if homosexuals are sinners, so is everyone else, including priests.
This would only cover gay priests who are not practising though, as you cannot expect forgiveness for something you are still partaking in and therefore have not repented for. And I think the Church does not disallow homosexuals from becoming priests, just practising ones.
TheReligion
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal)
Right............
Bhaal..I assume you are a Hindu or Muslim?
Islam condemns homosexuality, but people only seem to attack the church because they know there is unbellievable truth within it. It's simple, human beings are afraid of truth which condemns their sinful lifestyles. Before I became a Christian I was just like that, saying "no way, if I must remain a virgin till my wedding night then forget it".
MuniE
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You do know you are just trying to twist the bible. What I said could not be more crystal clear.
Gays may not be harming physically or whatever, but their lifestyle has become so prevalent and is beginning to affect religion, which it shouldn't.
You people know what is right, do you ever wonder why humans have a conscience? God gave it to us, not Darwin. And I very much know that somewhere deep within your hearts, you know that homosexuality is wrong but you ONLY defend it when the church attacks it, yes? This is because many people are simply afraid of the truth so they'll join any group who oppose it.
Is it just me or do all of this guys posts make him sound very arrogant. I do not believe in god or religion so you shouldn't be telling me where my conscience comes from. Furthermore, i still don't understand what the big deal about gay people is, I will agree with you that I don't think it should be as prevalent as it is becoming but I don't think they should be rounded up or anything.
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

If you did not want a discussion then why did you start the thread?
You have to expose yourself to, and leave yourself open to, other people's ideas and points of view or you'll never learn anything.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Has the Catholic Church allowed a gay man to become a priest? If he is a Catholic priest he cannot have sexual relations of any kind so it doesn't matter if he's gay. It's in CoE where it's a problem because their ministers can have relationships.
thats the probelm. in orthodox christianity the priest kannot have any sexual relationships, therefore it don't matter if you are gay, straight, bi, or an alien, you have to give up all sexual relationships.
TheReligion
Rep:
?
(Original post by MuniE)
Is it just me or do all of this guys posts make him sound very arrogant. I do not believe in god or religion so you shouldn't be telling me where my conscience comes from. Furthermore, i still don't understand what the big deal about gay people is, I will agree with you that I don't think it should be as prevalent as it is becoming but I don't think they should be rounded up or anything.
Neither do I but I must keep to the promise I made to God, and that is to live for him and oppose things which are not of him.
Surely you can understand that?
TheReligion
Rep:
?
(Original post by SasunD)
thats the probelm. in orthodox christianity the priest kannot have any sexual relationships, therefore it don't matter if you are gay, straight, bi, or an alien, you have to give up all sexual relationships.
OF COURSE IT MATTERS!!
The sermon on Sunday may be on anything, from stealing to killing. It may also be on homosexuality, so how can a priest stand at the front of a church and condemn himself?
MuniE
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Neither do I but I must keep to the promise I made to God, and that is to live for him and oppose things which are not of him.
Surely you can understand that?
Personally I don't understand that, I am atheist. But I have learned from previous threads not to talk about religion in depth because I offend too many people
hitchhiker_13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OF COURSE IT MATTERS!!
The sermon on Sunday may be on anything, from stealing to killing. It may also be on homosexuality, so how can a priest stand at the front of a church and condemn himself?

What kind of sermons do you listen to? I have never heard anything of that sort. Anyway, presumably if the man is a priest, he considers homosexuality to be sinful, and therefore himself to be sinful. Priests often admit their own failings in a sermon.

Also, if you want MuniE to understand you feel you have a responsibility to uphold God's laws, you must appreciate that he doesn't share your beliefs and feels equally passionately that gay people are not sinful, and deserve equal opportunities, in the Church as well as everywhere else.
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OF COURSE IT MATTERS!!
you don't get my point. how kan you condmen yourslef, becuase you condemn homosexuals, when you have given up your sexualtiy. hence, if you were homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual or an alien, it doesn't make any difference, because after you become a priest you have given up your sexualty, or at least, you are meant to.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed