Watch
This discussion is closed.
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheReligion)
Yes, and quite frankly I find it sickening. I heard of high profile bishops voting for homosexuality to be taught in classrooms, or something like that. I am not of the Catholic Church, nor the Church of England. It's farcical how the Catholic Church can allow a gay man to be made priest. In effect they have given up all their principles and connections with God.
They should know better and not give into society, that is after all part of the christian lifestyle.
The reason religion changes with society, is that religion is created by man, and since man changes with society, religion changes too.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I find it horrible that religious poeple can yell abuse at gay people on the street. My gay friends and i and one of my straight guy friends were out and this guy started yelling that God is gonna punnish them and blah blah and he was getting really offensive, so my staright mate smacked him in the face. I htink he was right to do it, who is anyone to take away the right for people to live as they will?
Kirki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheReligion)
The Bible disagrees with it, and to go to heaven and be a true follower one must agree with all that is in the bible. That people, is the church.
Where you get off accusing the church of being homophobic, I don't know. I dont understand why the public seems to think that the church should change with society. God warned believers against the world, saying we are in it, but not of it.
Christianity has set rules, which no one but God himself has the right to change. Some idiotic theologians have been trying to twist the words of the bible saying that God didn't actually say anything against homosexuality, well they are just seeking some sort of reassurance that their beliefs on the matter are in line with God.
In the New testament, Corinthians chapter 6, verses 9-10. I will give you a small quote otherwise you'll accuse me of 'bible bashing'.
"Do not be fooled....Those who sin sexually...are male prostitutes OR MEN WHO HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH OTHER MEN...will not inherit Gods Kingdom.
So you see the bible is clear, there is no obscurity. You have a choice, you can either dismiss it, or you can accept it. DO NOT try to accuse the church of being old fashioned because we are only following the Bible.
It is tough being a christian, yes we also do bad things, we are sinners. Thats why Jesus was sent down to earth, to wipe our sins away.
100 years ago people would have agreed with what I'm saying, today they will shrug it off because they just cannot give up the sinful lives they are living.
If you want to know more about Christianity and what it has to offer, please feel free to send me a private message, i think I;ve gone on long enough.
Wow. You really would think that anyone who would go out of their way to condemn homosexuality would bother to at least read the relevent parts of the bible in the original language and within the correct historical context. What 1 Corinthians 6:9 refers to is the tradition at the time of people having sex with prostitutes as a substitute for pagan fertility gods. Paul was condemning this, not homosexuality. If you'd bothered to actually do any research into this, you'd know that the words in question are "Arsenkoites" and "Malakos". Malakos means "effiminate", which at the time Paul was writing had no link with homosexuality, although now many people do assume that. What it did have a link to at that time, though, was call boys. Put together with "arsen" meaning "male" and "Koites" meaning, roughly "sexual activity", what is most likely is that Paul was referring to was the, often very effiminate, male prostitutes that served at the temple of Aphrodite Pandemos. If Paul wished to condemn same-sex relations then surely he would have used a word that meant same-sex relations, and not words that at the time were used to mean prostitution.

I feel it is worth mentioning that the church has already admitted that there was a mistranslation in this very passage, where what we now know to mean female prostitution was originally translated to mean fornication!

Um. Sorry this was badly written, I hope you can get the general idea. But, yes, this verse does not condemn homosexuality. What else have you got?
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nice one!... Take that!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (165)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my education (174)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (104)
9.7%
Isolating with family (73)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (40)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (93)
8.68%
Loneliness (107)
9.98%
Financial worries (49)
4.57%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (98)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (77)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (92)
8.58%

Watched Threads