The Student Room Group

AS level problems

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out... I've just started sixth form and my AS options are Maths, Further Maths, Physics and PE but unfortunately I've decided I really do not want to do PE any longer as I just don't have a single interest in any of the AS stuff but I have no idea what other subject to take because I will not do well in any essay based subjects and don't have many other options. Do you think it would be ok if I just dropped PE and focused on just my 3 AS levels as they are the only ones I care about and enjoy? Then I could get better grades in them but does it look bad if I don't do 4 AS levels?? Help me please!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want a really top Uni they usually asks for 1 pass at AS, I recommend the EPQ or perhaps Economics which would sit nicely with your subjects?
Reply 2
If you want to go to uni some count maths and further maths as one A-Level. Also bear in mind you'll have nothing to drop later this year if you hate those or your other subject. Maybe pick one up of an essay subject even if you think you'll do bad - you don't know until you try and if you are struggling you can drop it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
If you don't like essay subjects then go for Chemistry.
Reply 4
Chemistry, Economics, Additional Further Maths, Archaeology, Geology, Computing, a language?

PS - I love how you're invalidating your username right now. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
My dream uni is imperial college London but I have Exeter, bath and Southampton as my back up plans! What's EPQ thingy?? And does economics include a lot of writing?? I'm literally so bad at concentrating on essay based things and do not do very well when I have to write lots because I do not enjoy it so much so really want to either do another subject I might do well at or just drop it and risk sticking with the other 3 for the next 2 years but I know I will not drop maths or further and I will not give up on physics so might be ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Here are my options to replace PE... Applied science
Art and Design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry
Computing
Philosophy
Electronics
English literature
Food
French
Geography
German
History
Music
Psychology
Sociology
Textiles
Theatre studies

And I know I should have thought about my username more!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Maybe go for another science then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Mathsphysicspe
My dream uni is imperial college London but I have Exeter, bath and Southampton as my back up plans! What's EPQ thingy?? And does economics include a lot of writing?? I'm literally so bad at concentrating on essay based things and do not do very well when I have to write lots because I do not enjoy it so much so really want to either do another subject I might do well at or just drop it and risk sticking with the other 3 for the next 2 years but I know I will not drop maths or further and I will not give up on physics so might be ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course do you want to do? Some may not accept maths + further as part of a 3 A2 combo.

Also, economics really isn't too bad as far as extended writing goes. For the biggest essay question on a paper you may have to write a page or two of A4, but it has a pretty formulaic structure to follow and you can get a very decent portion of marks in the essay questions just from drawing an appropriate diagram. Plus, most papers have an element of multiple choice.
Reply 9
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me a reality check. So I didn't do so good for my AS levels I passed but I was expected higher. My old sixth form only let me do Chemistry, Politics and Philosophy along with some btec Medical science. I have now moved to another place where I am restarting my AS levels and doing Chemistry, biology and Psychology. Firstly would me being a resit student affect my chances of getting into a good university? also is it okay that I have 3 A levels, if it's a disadvantage i'll pick on up next year?
Original post by knope
What course do you want to do? Some may not accept maths + further as part of a 3 A2 combo.

Also, economics really isn't too bad as far as extended writing goes. For the biggest essay question on a paper you may have to write a page or two of A4, but it has a pretty formulaic structure to follow and you can get a very decent portion of marks in the essay questions just from drawing an appropriate diagram. Plus, most papers have an element of multiple choice.

I want to just do a maths degree so that I can do a PGCE and be a maths teacher, will I be ok if I just do the 3??

And I don't think I can do economics because our subjects are done in option blocks and I already have further maths pure in the one block where economics is, what do you suggest I do? Just 3 or any from the list I said before??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Tahera2013
Hey guys I was wondering if you could give me a reality check. So I didn't do so good for my AS levels I passed but I was expected higher. My old sixth form only let me do Chemistry, Politics and Philosophy along with some btec Medical science. I have now moved to another place where I am restarting my AS levels and doing Chemistry, biology and Psychology. Firstly would me being a resit student affect my chances of getting into a good university? also is it okay that I have 3 A levels, if it's a disadvantage i'll pick on up next year?

It depends on the course you want to do and the university. Oxbridge will probably be a bit funny about resitting the whole year but others generally aren't as far as I know. However if you want to do something like medicine they can state you have to pass in 2 years i.e. no resitting a year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go for a science if I were you! :smile:
I can't really do chemistry or biology though because I've been told it will be too much hard work and I'm only good at physics anyway!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
It depends on the course you want to do and the university. Oxbridge will probably be a bit funny about resitting the whole year but others generally aren't as far as I know. However if you want to do something like medicine they can state you have to pass in 2 years i.e. no resitting a year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response :smile: yeah I'm not too crazy about Oxbridge. Way too prestigious. I'm guessing medicine would be all ready out of the bag probably optometry or pharmacology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Mathsphysicspe
I want to just do a maths degree so that I can do a PGCE and be a maths teacher, will I be ok if I just do the 3??

And I don't think I can do economics because our subjects are done in option blocks and I already have further maths pure in the one block where economics is, what do you suggest I do? Just 3 or any from the list I said before??

Posted from TSR Mobile

That should be alright, but check entry requirements at several unis to be sure. Also, you could come to really love physics/engineering/etc and decide to apply for that, in which case the rules may change and you'd be better off taking four A2s including FM.

Anyway, how do you feel about chemistry? It seems to be the most logical option, but that doesn't mean much unless you actually want to study it.
I would study chemistry if I was capable but as I only did double award science and just got 2 A's the school doesn't recommend double award students taking more than one science, I could do applied science but will they let me do that and physics do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending