I'm doing AQA History Unit 1C and Unit 2B

Any tips/suggestions of how to get an A on this exam board? Thanks
username985376
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lisa96)
I've picked History as an AS as I need a pass in a fourth AS for uni.

I haven't done History at GCSE.

I'm doing AQA History Unit 1C and Unit 2C

Any tips/suggestions of how to get an A on this exam board? Thanks
I got a B struggled to remember legit quotes to support my answer
Friend got an A, makes up quotes,
foreverinfinite
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an A this year so I feel qualified to answer this :')
I was on AQA but did Charles 1 and Louis XIV, not quite sure what codes they have. My best advice would be to start revision early ( I know that's really generic advice but it's especially important for history). I found it really useful to make timelines with all the key dates as some questions might only cover half the period you studied and if you write about something not in the period, you can't get marks for that unfortunately. History is one of those subjects that is helpful to revise with other people, me and my friend revised together and tested each other on facts etc which was really useful. Of upmost importance though is exam practice especially in the source paper because a lot of the marks come from how you structure it and if you meet a balanced judgement. Timed essays are extremely important aswell because the essays are under considerable time pressure, something like 20 minutes for a 24 mark question flies by!
bazinga123!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an A this year and I would say:
1. Like foreverinfinite said, start revising early. My teacher gave us a revision timetable in January and we thought he was mad, but the earlier the better.
2. Make notes after every lesson to recap into the next. If you forget something in the next lesson you could be screwed since obv for history it all links together. I didn't do notes after every lesson which I do regret and will start to do in my A2 year this year.
3. Make sure you know everything. Like everything. Especially specific detail like dates, figures, statistics and quotes (examiners love quotes at AS)
4. Do plenty of timed essays, the time goes very fast. Only 15 mins max for a 12 marks question and 25 mins for 24 marks, maybe even less if you take your time to decide on which question to do. This is invaluable and many people I know failed the exam due to time keeping.
foreverinfinite
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=lisa96;44372148]How did you structure your essays?[/]
I went for this basic approach for 24 mark questions
First paragraph: State your answer. Basically, answer the question in the first sentence so say 'I agree with the interpretation in the question' or vice versa. Then introduce the other lines of arguments you want to explore, eg other possible interpretations such as another reason why a certain war was lost.
Second paragraph: explore the view from the question, including evidence from your course, so facts, figures and dates. At the end of the para, link back to the question!!
Third paragraph: choose another possible interpretation and put forward the case for this one in the same way as the previous paragraph. If possible, try and write about 2 other interpretations but there's the obvious time pressure
Final paragraph: Conclusion. Balanced judgement, if you rank the reasons this is particularly good as apparently it shows higher order thinking. This is where you can pick up quite a lot of marks as it is usually the difference between a lower band answer and an answer in the same band which is towards the top of that band.
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You pray, pray to every God there is! ... although I got an A and i'm an atheist
Thebeast97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What were the questions from the 1C aqa history paper on the Reformation in Europe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads