I hate Fasthosts. Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I am trying to my auction assignment in PHP and the server keeps going down constantly, if its not the MySQL server its the web server. It is driving me mad.

They must have had at least £10,000 from my university with all the domain names they have purcashed as well as the hosting yet the show their gratitude by providing pathetic reliability.

Oh well I guess it means I can spend time on UKL without feeling guilty.

When people say don't use Windows servers I believe them!
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I am trying to my auction assignment in PHP and the server keeps going down constantly, if its not the MySQL server its the web server. It is driving me mad.

They must have had at least £10,000 from my university with all the domain names they have purcashed as well as the hosting yet the show their gratitude by providing pathetic reliability.

Oh well I guess it means I can spend time on UKL without feeling guilty.

When people say don't use Windows servers I believe them!
I have noticed that you vent out your frustration on this forum, is this a normal thing that many members commit?
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
Why do you need a host, can't you just run the stuff on your own computer?
I can but it means changing all the connection strings, installing MySQL, Apache, and then of course PHP. As I have broadband its easier for me to work online but its just annoying when it goes down as it keeps doing it lately.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal)
I have noticed that you vent out your frustration on this forum, is this a normal thing that many members commit?
So what if it isn't? It's a general forum for well.. general and random things!

I have a friend that offers PHP hosting - he hosts this board: http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/index.php

He's a php whiz. His details are linked ont he above site. I think he may still be on holiday, but should be back very shortly.

HtH

Fxx
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
So what if it isn't? It's a general forum for well.. general and random things!

I have a friend that offers PHP hosting - he hosts this board: http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/forum/index.php

He's a php whiz. His details are linked ont he above site. I think he may still be on holiday, but should be back very shortly.

HtH

Fxx
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just asking a question. I didn't realise that this forum was so informal, does that mean all the members know each other and are good friends?
AT82
Rep:
?
Thats the other problem, the work only gets marked if its on a their server as my course tutor has a copy of all the FTP passwords etc so if he wants to check for plagirism he can do more easily.

It means I am stuck with fasthosts for my duration of my degree.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bhaal)
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just asking a question. I didn't realise that this forum was so informal, does that mean all the members know each other and are good friends?
I wouldn't say that but yes this forum is very informal but it can also be very serious at the same time. I think its good to have a balance.
Bhaal
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I wouldn't say that but yes this forum is very informal but it can also be very serious at the same time. I think its good to have a balance.
Before I joined, I was trawling through the pages, and some threads just looked out of context with the entire forum, some of the threads where academic however a large majority of the threads was just informal and personal stuff.
AT82
Rep:
?
Nah I would just do the development and my own machine then upload it when it needs to be marked.
I guess I will just have to stick the connection string in a function within the include file so then when I upload it to server I can. The problem is the MySQL database server often seems to go down as well.

Is it easy to install PHP to a Windows based Apache server? (I can't use Microsoft's server as I have Win XP home)
AT82
Rep:
?
I don't know as I've not used PHP.

Can't you pass the connection string as a parameter or something? I don't think things like that shouls be hard coded.
yeah I have an include file which contains all the navigation links inside functions so I will just stick the connection string in one of them functions and then call the function on each page that requires the connection string.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There are much much better hosts out there than fasthosts. Fasthostsare overpriced and offer lacklustre customer support.
AT82
Rep:
?
Yep sadly I have no choice over the matter.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.66%
Excited (154)
9.11%
Worried (303)
17.92%
Terrified (376)
22.24%
Meh (162)
9.58%
Confused (37)
2.19%