Suggestions....anyone? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi everyone! I'm doing a study abroad program in London next year, which is why I've been spying on you all at this website for the past few weeks. I'm originally from Florida in the U.S. Would anyone like to give me a heads up about what to expect? Are there any cultural shocks that I should know about ahead of time? Any good places to hang out?
Sami_ThePeelite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey there.....sorry nothin can be said about London - apart from Dr. Johnson's house - i liked it there,

(oh i really love The Cheescake factory in Two Points Mall in Orlando) - sorry, i'm talking rubbish lol
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
Hi everyone! I'm doing a study abroad program in London next year, which is why I've been spying on you all at this website for the past few weeks. I'm originally from Florida in the U.S. Would anyone like to give me a heads up about what to expect? Are there any cultural shocks that I should know about ahead of time? Any good places to hang out?

London is a slightly toned down version of NY.
Aeris
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
hey there.....sorry nothin can be said about London - apart from Dr. Johnson's house - i liked it there,

(oh i really love The Cheescake factory in Two Points Mall in Orlando) - sorry, i'm talking rubbish lol

The Cheesecake Factory's great! I've been to one in Tampa, Miami and Orlando. I felt really bad about having so much food and then taking home a "turtle cheesecake." Darn it, I'm getting off topic...this is not about my home state. This is about London!
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Everywhere you go in the UK it's guaranteed to rain, and not warm rain like you get in Florida, cold horrible lashing rain! Bring a brolly!
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The Cheesecake Factory's great! I've been to one in Tampa, Miami and Orlando. I felt really bad about having so much food and then taking home a "turtle cheesecake." Darn it, I'm getting off topic...this is not about my home state. This is about London!
London is great

but !

dont get on a bendy bus (they explode - not terrorism, but more bad engineering)
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by young_free)
London is a slightly toned down version of NY.
lol tis nothing like NY
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
go to the science museum

its GREAT
will1y2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
there is so much stuff to do in london i dont know where to start. where abouts are you going to be living/studying
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hehehe ive been to the one in miami also :-)

lol....sorry for the digression i love Florida, have a house there and go twice a year
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This is good: http://www.effingpot.com/

I have nothing against you new people, but it is kinda sad when you see avatars that used to be associated only with a certain user being used by somebody else, as if their association with the person that used to be here but got fed up and left has totally gone.

That brown female face always used to mean Gems to me. But now she doesn't come on that much and a new person has taken it up. Now it's ArisGreenleaf.

And the Statue of Liberty? That was NikNak. But now it's will1y2.

So it just shows how all these older members are beginning to leave...
_GáMMá_
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *Joanna*)
Everywhere you go in the UK it's guaranteed to rain, and not warm rain like you get in Florida, cold horrible lashing rain! Bring a brolly!
In america, the rain is softer.....
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
don't use the trains

only the tube
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
don't use the trains

only the tube
id rather use the trains
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh... I get cold really easily! ok i live in australia and comparitive our winters are NOTHING. What should i do!!!!!!!!
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
oh... I get cold really easily! ok i live in australia and comparitive our winters are NOTHING. What should i do!!!!!!!!
lol englands not that cold at all
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
id rather use the trains
yep tubes are kind of scary now...

People complain about the transport but it's not that bad really; to get to London I can either take the tube or a bus then a train, and the bus train option is actually quite fast (if a bus actually comes)
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Dude! It was 19 deg. celcius under my air con and i was freezing!
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
lol englands not that cold at all
Actually we've got one of the weridest climates in the world apparently.

Big culture shock, nobody says Have a Nice day.
Tis NOWT like New York, shopping is better for one, a bit more expensive but better quality. Places like Camden are good for seeing an alternative kind of London.
Don't trust any of the black guys hanging around there and a lot of places though (sorry this is NOT a racist remark) but IN MY EXPERIENCE, they've been drug dealers and thought that every white girl wants to "have" a black guy in ther life. So be careful.

And the tube is VERY claustraphobic and hot
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
One of the drug dealers at the bridge at Camden sold my friend some "gear" and it had daisies in it. But if he hadn't have bought it, they said they were going to rob him. That is why you don't wear posh designer clothes, at night, down Camden market
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%