Is anyone else thinking of leaving? Watch

This discussion is closed.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
I disagree that the forum has degraded since August. In my view, It has only started degrading in the last 2 weeks.

I joined late December and enjoyed my time here for a quite a few weeks. However now my post count is gradually decreasing and i'm finding this site less addictive - mainly i guess members i rather liked have started to cease posting probably due to the unnecessary threads being made and users (and I can name a few high profile members as well as many new members) abusing the site. It's quite sad (as i as a newbie) used to love this site

(I often find myself hiding in the University/Academic forums)
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
It bemuses me when people talk of how the old days were better. Does this mean that the 'old timers' that remain on the forum are uninteresting? Why don't they do something about it (i.e. produce some of these fabled 'interesting' posts) instead of just moaning about how crap the board has become?
Maybe it's because a lot of the threads nowdays are just repeats of old threads from that time.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The "University" forums are still pretty good. However, I think the "main" ones are getting weird. Maybe the mouse-over previews should be brought back? I thought they were really useful so that the server doesn't get crowded by people clicking on misleading thread titles. Maybe?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
The "University" forums are still pretty good. However, I think the "main" ones are getting weird. Maybe the mouse-over previews should be brought back? I thought they were really useful so that the server doesn't get crowded by people clicking on misleading thread titles. Maybe?
But by having the previews it made the server slower anyway. I think d is trying to lessen all the extra stuff to ease the server problems.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think it was best last june/july/august with the legendary P3 thread and when a lot of users joined. it was really nice over the summer...

i think it's been goin really downhill since at least november.

i would leave, but i'd still rather mess round on the internet then actually do some work.

lou xxx
WoodZ
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
i am erasing all traces of myself here.......
Bye then...
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
But by having the previews it made the server slower anyway. I think d is trying to lessen all the extra stuff to ease the server problems.
For a start, getting rid of the mouseovers for avatars would help.. e.g. "lilsunflower's avatar"... I think that's quite irrelevant.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Eric and 2776 were the kinds of one-worders. Nowadays, there aren't as many threads which I want to reply to. Back in the times when the highest post counts were lower, there was less spamming. Oh there I go again, on with my back n the old days comments!
yes i completely agree.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think it's become more segregated since the sub-forums opened. Now the concentration of silly posts on the first page is ridiculous, however before there were serious ones mixed in!
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I think it's become more segregated since the sub-forums opened. Now the concentration of silly posts on the first page is ridiculous, however before there were serious ones mixed in!
You're so gorgeous.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yes i completely agree.
Yes.

The forum used to be so much better...less people, more respect, better discussions. It felt like a true family! There was a point when I was one of the highest posters, if not the highest outright. Now everyone has overlooked me lol...maybe the problems started when I became a mod

Now there are too many "casual" members, too busy a server, and generally not as much friendliness about. *sigh!*
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Yes.

The forum used to be so much better...less people, more respect, better discussions. It felt like a true family! There was a point when I was one of the highest posters, if not the highest outright. Now everyone has overlooked me lol...maybe the problems started when I became a mod

Now there are too many "casual" members, too busy a server, and generally not as much friendliness about. *sigh!*
It was better when the casual users were a group we called the "unregistereds". The members were all a family and the unregs were guests. Now we've stopped the unregs and the family has been swamped.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i am erasing all traces of myself here.......
Er I was. I was feeling tired of everyone and everything. But it's saturday afternoon, I've done some work been to the high street so I've got some free time on my hands.

I could never leave this place really.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
It was better when the casual users were a group we called the "unregistereds". The members were all a family and the unregs were guests. Now we've stopped the unregs and the family has been swamped.
Oh absolutely...we could just bunch the silly billies to a big lump of unreg and just put them aside hehehe. For me, they all amounted to being the same person.

But I don't know what would happen if we brought unregs back...perhaps more bad than good, as the casual registered users would stay registered and more unregs would come to put more salt on the wounds.

All the "main members" seem to have drifted apart now. I remember when entire threads used to consist of posts of main respected members with no loonies to interfere. That was amazing, and we all liked and knew each other.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Oh absolutely...we could just bunch the silly billies to a big lump of unreg and just put them aside hehehe. For me, they all amounted to being the same person.

But I don't know what would happen if we brought unregs back...perhaps more bad than good, as the casual registered users would stay registered and more unregs would come to put more salt on the wounds.
I agree that the casual users would remain and some would find it a problem, but before the unregs were more good than harm for us. Just one or two idiots we could easily deal with. But anyway.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I agree the forum used to be better, when there were debates they were respectful, educational and entertaining. Now, it seems like every time there is a debate, it turns into a slug fest as early as page 2. There is swearing name calling offsensive remarks ect. But, instead of sittting here talking about it, lets do something about it. Turn it back to the way it used to be. Crack down on spammers and offenders. Ignore those constantly begging for homework help, or at least tell them to put it in one of the academic subforums. Or get rid of them, if thats what we want. Campaign to the mods, who perhaps would compaign to d. Don't reply to the useless threads about random things like socks and soap and hair products. Change must come back to UKL, or it seems we will, and have lost some older, valuble members. If we dont do anything, then we will be overtaken by the spam and other such things. We, who remember what the forum used to be like, must band together, and take back the forum!!! There is my solution to all of the problems voiced so far, that i have heard. What do you all say? Take back the forum!!!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would like to see the mods deleting any post along the lines of "I'm doing subject X and I'm stuck - send me your coursework to [email protected] and I'll send you my unit 4"

There are some threads that are months old that people still keep replying to (even though the person has posted once and asked them to email them).
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%