The Student Room Group

Unis that offer electives/placements in the US

Basically I have looked everywhere but I can't seem to find any UK universities that offer a placement/elective option in the US, and, since I would love an opportunity to study there just for a short while at least, I wondered if anyone knew of any med courses that offer this? Thank you!! :smile:
No Medicine course offers this unfortunately.
Reply 2
Original post by tea&biscuits<3
Basically I have looked everywhere but I can't seem to find any UK universities that offer a placement/elective option in the US, and, since I would love an opportunity to study there just for a short while at least, I wondered if anyone knew of any med courses that offer this? Thank you!! :smile:

Every UK medical school will have an elective period, but it's up to the student to organise where they go for it. So if you want to go to the US, it'd be up to you to do the research, apply, get funding etc, but you could go from any med school. TTBOMK there are no organised placement programmes over there, because their system is so very different. Individual med schools may have the occasional "scholarship" arrangement for one or two students a year to go to a particular institution (I know my college at Cambridge used to have one of these with Harvard med school) but these are not widespread.
Which college was that? Thanks for your help... I think that now I know most offer electives for you to organise I will call up my favourite unis to see their individual approaches, too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Electives in the US tend to be incredibly expensive though, do bear in mind.
Reply 5
Original post by tea&biscuits<3
Which college was that? Thanks for your help... I think that now I know most offer electives for you to organise I will call up my favourite unis to see their individual approaches, too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clare college, Cambridge. I don't know if the programme is still running though.

Do bear in mind that you won't do your elective until at least 4th year and sometimes not until right at the end of your final year, so things may change between now and when you reach that point. It's also only a very small portion of your training time (usually 6-10 weeks out of a 5 year course) so I wouldn't make it a major factor in your decision process. You can organise a US elective from any medical school, though as nexttime says, they can be very expensive.
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
Electives in the US tend to be incredibly expensive though, do bear in mind.

Probably one of the most expensive countries overall to go to but within it there is some variation - not everywhere has extortionate tuition fees for elective students or even fees at all.

Oxford certainly used to have an elective scholarship for a funded placement (I think Ohio/Cleaveland..?) at a Uni there & I self-applied to the NIH Program for part of mine which did not have tuition fees & the research angle helped me wangle more charitable grants so my elective was almost cost neutral. :biggrin:
Reply 7
you need to arrange the elective yourself, there are a lot of elective schemes in the UK, for example at addenbrook's hospital in cambridge
Reply 8
I digressed into reading this thread and ended up signing up just to answer the initial question and correct Chelseafan. Tea&biscuits, I gather you want to go to a university with placements in the US? Yes there are many universities that offer this. because you asked for electives i assume you are of the medical field? As far as i know alot of the good medical schools offer links to US univesities to do peripheral attachments there or electives. I'm from GKT(King's College London) and I know for a fact that we have links to US universities like Emory, john hopkins, cornell and UPenn coz I just applied to the programme but be warned it is not guaranteed, there is competitive application and selection process. also, it is expensive, but because of our link the tuition fees are waived in all but john hopkins for GKT medics IF you get offered a place - this would be very expensive otherwise. Also, my friend doing Biomed in King's spent a year in university of N. Carolina so i think that is possible too. there are definitely options in most good universities, some free some not. you just have to actively look. Hope that helps.
Reply 9
Queens medical school Belfast has a number of links to American universities including Washington and Boston. It's also a lovely university from what I saw on my visits. I don't know if the links are for whole years or just elective periods but they are mentioned in the medical prospectus and I imagine online
Reply 10
It is possible, and fairly common in quite a number of medical schools to have links for electives/placements with US, but as others said, do bear in mind that it is expensive and more often than not, you'll have to sit the USMLE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending