The Student Room Group

Which country should host the 2020 Olympic Games

High-powered persuaders from Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo descend on Buenos Aires this week to ask the IOC's notoriously contrary electorate to give them the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics.

All three have been here before.

Istanbul fell at this hurdle in 2000 and 2008,

Madrid, the Spanish capital went close in 2005 and 2009 and

Tokyo​, Japan's megacity actually hosted the 1964 Games before failing in a bid for 2016.

So who should host the 2020 Olympic Games?
Syria. That would be good.

Spoiler

Reply 2
I hope Madrid get it. Barcelona was one of the best olympics before London 2012.

If Istanbul get it I can see many empty seats in stadiums.

I think Tokyo would make a decent job of it but their time zone would mean most of the events would be on at 1-2AM British time.
Reply 3
I think Istanbul.

East meets West and all that.

Madrid would be nothing but a running sore, politically. Look how much grief we had over the cost of the Olympics when firstly the recession hadn't even started, and secondly we were in a much better situation than the Spanish.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
To be honest, all three have their worries:

Istanbul is quite dangerous in parts (I know Rio is as well, but my mum's been to Istanbul and says it's not a very warm place to be and quite intimidating). I've not went myself so I can't give a proper opinion on the place. But again, the riots this year show some instability. Obviously that can easily change in 7 years but who knows.

Madrid is a good city, however, Spain is financially ****ed right now. With the right economy, It would be nice to see the Olympics here.

Tokyo was worried about the nuclear waste that could still be in the country by the time 2020 comes.

For me though, it has to be Tokyo. Although Japan isn't plain sailing in the markets right now, I feel it's the best place for the Olympics.

May the best city win:smile:
Reply 5
Tokyo gets my vote.
Reply 6
I think Tokyo. it seems to be the most economically stable, and really, that's the most important thing. the three cities in the running are all great places with good facilities. I don't know what criteria they use though
Reply 7
Original post by Clip
I think Istanbul.

East meets West and all that.

Madrid would be nothing but a running sore, politically. Look how much grief we had over the cost of the Olympics when firstly the recession hadn't even started, and secondly we were in a much better situation than the Spanish.

Personally i think the Olympics could be good for Spain. There'd be no need to build accommodation because they have tonnes of luxury apartments, they have good sporting infrastructure in general which may limit some of the new venues required and being in such a financial hole they'd probably be even more careful about controlling costs and sorting out what happens to the venues afterward, plus there's plenty of relatively cheap labour and construction business crying out.

All in all they could provide a nice, cheap Olympics to a relatively good standard and get the economic benefits that come with hosting the actual games.

Tokyo probably gets it though however i'd rather it went to Istanbul.
Reply 8
Personally I'd like Madrid. Although with consideration of Spanish economy at the moment, it might not be such a good idea.
Reply 9
Tokyo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending