How did you discover what religion you are? Watch

Poll: How did you discover what religion you are?
I've always believed in it (3)
30%
I've done some research into it, and have found reasons why I should still believe in it (3)
30%
I have done research, but have found reasons why I should no longer believe in it (4)
40%
I have researched other religions and have found reasons why perhaps I should follow one of those faiths more than my original one (0)
0%
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is a question that has always interested me.

Regardless of what religion (or non religion i.e. Athiest/Agnostic) you are how did you form your beliefs? Is it what you've always believed in, or have you done some research and found many reasons to believe that faith? Have you found proof that has turned you away from a faith you once were and towards another one?

Personally, I regard myself as agnostic as I don't believe there is enough evidence to prove or disprove any religion.

What are your thoughts?
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i just find it illogical to blindly follow a set of rules, just because an invisible man says so.
Steezy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because I realised all religions are stories & that I am able to live by my own set of morals.
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was initially agnostic. My parents aren't religious, but my primary school was C of E, so I heard both sides. Now I've learnt more about it, I'd regard myself as atheist, due to the fact that there is more evidence supporting science and evolution than there is supporting religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gagaslilmonsteruk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I was initially agnostic. My parents aren't religious, but my primary school was C of E, so I heard both sides. Now I've learnt more about it, I'd regard myself as atheist, due to the fact that there is more evidence supporting science and evolution than there is supporting religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What holds me back from being full-on atheist is what caused the event which caused the big bang? I guess we'll never know.
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
What holds me back from being full-on atheist is what caused the event which caused the big bang? I guess we'll never know.
I reckon that'll have a scientific explanation eventually. To me though, since that's essentially equivalent to where did God come from. So it doesn't really affect my belief, if that makes sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
John Stuart Mill
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
I don't know why people think the 'big bang' is this definitive theory of everyone and everyone's mother, there's not even any proof that the big bang started the universe just that the universe was extremely hot and is expanding; also if you ask the question 'what caused the big bang', it doesn't make logical sense because time and space didn't exist before the big bang; this to me just begs the question.

I'm an atheist (although i'm an agnostic about everything) because other than deism it makes little logical sense and there's no empirical proof for anything of a divine nature.
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was an atheist, then I did some research and I stopped because it was just reinforcing my opinion.
hobbit_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was an atheist, but then I had what you could only describe as a "conversion experience", which, for me, was simply a realization that God actually was there. My Christianity has always been quite mystical, but over the years I have read more and more about the faith (including the Bible), and while my views on doctrines and the Bible and "social issues" may have altered as I have altered, the fundamentals of my faith are still the same.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I never formed any religious beliefs, so there was nothing to discover. The only thing that could be compared to a 'discovery' was gradually becoming conscious of the fact that other people do believe in them.
incipientT
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've always been an atheist ever since I started thinking about it, but I have spent a fair amount of time learning about the other sides arguments. The more I look, the less likely it seems that a god exists.
Jezebelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I never had a realisation. Think even as a child I was atheist and just didn't know there was a word for it. Wasn't raised as religious and in primary school the bible stories just didn't seem believable.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.78%
No (571)
60.23%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.99%

Watched Threads