The Student Room Group

my twin wants to do the same course as me...

So as the title says, my twin sister and I are both going to be applying to some of the same universities, and mostly for the same course :frown: I am pretty annoyed about this - I want to get away from my family :/ I decided I was going to apply for geography first, but I realise it's her decision. Anyway, our personal statements are going to be similar due to the fact we have spent our whole lives together, we go to the same school, we take nearly the same a levels and we think similarly. will the admissions tutors think we have copied each other? We're not going to see each others statement, but they won't know that. My parents are worried the applications will confuse the departments, but I don't know. Do I do anything at all?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anderson14
x

rather inappropriate!

Original post by kate3
So as the title says, my twin sister and I are both going to be applying to some of the same universities, and mostly for the same course :frown: I am pretty annoyed about this - I want to get away from my family :/ I decided I was going to apply for geography first, but I realise it's her decision. Anyway, our personal statements are going to be similar due to the fact we have spent our whole lives together, we go to the same school, we take nearly the same a levels and we think similarly. will the admissions tutors think we have copied each other? We're not going to see each others statement, but they won't know that. My parents are worried the applications will confuse the departments, but I don't know. Do I do anything at all?

Kate-it seems alright to me, you'll be able to help eachother if one of you is stuck :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi there,

My advice is to be honest with your sister, you may even find she feels the same. If you are not sharing your personal statements with eachother I dont think there will be an issue as even though you have grown up together you must have some individual qualities that will shine through your personal statements. Good luck xx
Reply 3
No need to worry at all. Even if you do look at each others personal statement? So what. Aslong as you actually don't copy there's no need to worry at all.
That's frustrating. However, it's probably just as frustrating for her as it is for you - have you spoken about it?

I would consider mentioning it on your personal statements - they'll be perfectly sympathetic. Certainly think about sending an e-mail in advance. There's nothing stopping you both getting in (in fact, I really doubt they would take one and not the other unless one of you has done something extra impressive) - there's a pair of identical twins on my course, and I think they might even be at the same college.

I know that doesn't solve the fact you want to get away from your family, but I don't see how you can get around it without one of you compromising what you want to do. I think your best bet is to e-mail them to explain the situation (try to get a tutor rather than a secretary, just because they'll be the ones actually considering your application).
Reply 5
Original post by Octohedral
That's frustrating. However, it's probably just as frustrating for her as it is for you - have you spoken about it?

I would consider mentioning it on your personal statements - they'll be perfectly sympathetic. Certainly think about sending an e-mail in advance. There's nothing stopping you both getting in (in fact, I really doubt they would take one and not the other unless one of you has done something extra impressive) - there's a pair of identical twins on my course, and I think they might even be at the same college.

I know that doesn't solve the fact you want to get away from your family, but I don't see how you can get around it without one of you compromising what you want to do. I think your best bet is to e-mail them to explain the situation (try to get a tutor rather than a secretary, just because they'll be the ones actually considering your application).

can you put that sort of thing on a personal statement? I don't think I'll have space. hm that's a good idea to email them though, that means it's not on the actual application :smile: Yeah, I've talked to her but we don't want to compromise, and I guess it's not certain we'll get in to the same places. we don't get along that well. cheers
Reply 6
Original post by Blobar
No need to worry at all. Even if you do look at each others personal statement? So what. Aslong as you actually don't copy there's no need to worry at all.

it's more like even if I don't look at hers we might have the same stuff anyway.
Reply 7
I understand, but serious she is your sister, she has a dream to you know
Reply 8
College girl twins, this is every guy's dream.
You've still got 5 choices, providing you both get more than one offer you don't have to go to the same university.
Reply 10
Original post by Snakebite
I understand, but serious she is your sister, she has a dream to you know

I understand that. That's why we are not compromising and both applying to the same unis even though we would both prefer it if we didn't go to the same one, but I'm worried it will affect my application.
Original post by kate3
it's more like even if I don't look at hers we might have the same stuff anyway.

I'm sure the admissions team will understand that there is the possibility that twins may have similar personal statements, for the reasons you have described. As others have said, you will have to decide if having your twin there is worse for you than you being at a different university to the one you really want to go to - a tough decision I'm sure.
Reply 12
Original post by kate3

If you were doing biology it would be epic if only one of you applied and mid course you brought in your sister and said you successfully managed to create a clone out of your DNA. I dunno if people would fall for it, but I would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids.
Reply 13
Original post by audi_turbo
You've still got 5 choices, providing you both get more than one offer you don't have to go to the same university.

yeah :smile: we both prefer the same one though if there was a choice, and I'm not going to go to a uni I don't like as much because she's also going there.
Reply 14
It will be fine! Just mention it on your ps or send them an email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Siggie
If you were doing biology it would be epic if only one of you applied and mid course you brought in your sister and said you successfully managed to create a clone out of your DNA. I dunno if people would fall for it, but I would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids.

haha, we're not identical twins though, just fraternal
Do you both have the same first choice and second choices? If not you may end up at different unis anyway. If it's just what you want to do and it happens to be the same then that's not a problem. You may want to think about making sure you apply for different accommodation if you do both get into the same uni.

Personal statements are, as the name suggests, personal and you must have different personalities and different things that inspire you about geography. Unless you actually copy nothing bad will happen. Remember, plenty of people will write similar PS's to other people as similar people will be drawn to a particular subject and many for the same reasons (like how most maths PS's bang on about logic and it being the purest science).
Reply 17
Original post by Lazuliblue
I'm sure the admissions team will understand that there is the possibility that twins may have similar personal statements, for the reasons you have described. As others have said, you will have to decide if having your twin there is worse for you than you being at a different university to the one you really want to go to - a tough decision I'm sure.

I guess I'll decide when I get any offers. might not get the same offers anyway so that might be alright.
Reply 18
Original post by monkyvirus
Do you both have the same first choice and second choices? If not you may end up at different unis anyway. If it's just what you want to do and it happens to be the same then that's not a problem. You may want to think about making sure you apply for different accommodation if you do both get into the same uni.

Do you have to decide the first choice on the ucas application, or only when you get offers and you choose a firm and insurance? atm I'm not sure because I still need to visit 2 universities.
Original post by kate3
I guess I'll decide when I get any offers. might not get the same offers anyway so that might be alright.

Yes there's no point freaking out right now, although I can understand why you are worried. Lots of things can change between now and when you get your offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending