Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Extra on a first come first serve basis? Is it best to get it all in early?

ReputationRep:
    Why is Nottingham University on UCAS EXTRA? I saw a law course on UCAS extra. How is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    Is Extra on a first come first serve basis? Is it best to get it all in early?
    Yes it is.

Bhaal.. sometimes course are 'accidentally' put on EXTRA by the Uni rather than the department - this happened big time for med last year - on day one of extra there looked like being 8 schools involved. By the end of day 1 all refs to all but 1 had been removed. Only Newc/Durham stayed. This year Newc/Durham are the only med school entering EXTRA.

SOmetimes mistakes are made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Yes it is.

Bhaal.. sometimes course are 'accidentally' put on EXTRA by the Uni rather than the department - this happened big time for med last year - on day one of extra there looked like being 8 schools involved. By the end of day 1 all refs to all but 1 had been removed. Only Newc/Durham stayed. This year Newc/Durham are the only med school entering EXTRA.

So hypothetically if one where rejected from Manchester for medicine, and it appeared on UCAS EXTRA, can one apply again? What criteria is the decision based upon.

To see law on UCAS EXTRA at such a prestigious university is quite a shock, as I had always thought that subjects such as law and medicine where over subscribed at the better universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal)
    So hypothetically if one where rejected from Manchester for medicine, and it appeared on UCAS EXTRA, can one apply again? What criteria is the decision based upon.

To see law on UCAS EXTRA at such a prestigious university is quite a shock, as I had always thought that subjects such as law and medicine where over subscribed at the better universities.
    Yes. You have to either have rejections from all your choices, or cancel any remaining choices to enter EXTRA. You can them apply for other courses one at a time. The idea of it is to take the pressure off clearing.

Medicine and Law are oversubscribed at all universities. It's not the case for law, but to be honest in Medicine it really doesn't matter where you graduate from as it's your PRHO activities that lay down the path of your career. Even the pull of Oxbridge and the Old Boys Network is deminishing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is.

That's absurd, besides nothing has been "corrected" for the past two weeks, notts has been on extra for two weeks so i don't think it's going anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You have to either have rejections from all your choices, or cancel any remaining choices to enter EXTRA. You can them apply for other courses one at a time. The idea of it is to take the pressure off clearing.

Medicine and Law are oversubscribed at all universities. It's not the case for law, but to be honest in Medicine it really doesn't matter where you graduate from as it's your PRHO activities that lay down the path of your career. Even the pull of Oxbridge and the Old Boys Network is deminishing.
    Let's say you have accepted a firm uni, but have seen a closer to home uni on UCAS EXTRA. Can one cancel the firm, and opt for the other one?

ReputationRep:
    If I go through clearing and/or extra, will it REALLY guarentee a space at any university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    If I go through clearing and/or extra, will it REALLY guarentee a space at any university?
    If you have no preference of course, or uni then probably! My best friend got an N in Chemistry, and got a place at Bangor to do Chem in clearing a few years back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Only one way to find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal)
    Why is Nottingham University on UCAS EXTRA? I saw a law course on UCAS extra. How is that possible?

because if person A gets offers from nottingham, oxford and durham and then puts Oxford as firm and Durham as insurance ....then theres a space on the course.

if you can imagine how many times this happends to a uni like nottignham, which is very prestigious and yet, a lot of people will reject it.

they cant afford to have empty spaces on courses.

and there's nothing wrong with ucas extra? you make it seem as thou the people applying here shouldnt be offered a place at a top university?

love Katy ***

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.