The Student Room Group

Percentages of Isotopes!!!!!

Today I had my first lesson of chemistry and I'm already finding it difficult, especially with all these calculations about isotopes, which I thought they only came up in physics! -.-"

I'm stuck on this kind of question: The relative atomic mass of iridium is 192.2. Iridium occurs naturally in iridium-191 and iridium-193. Then it says work out the percentage of each isotope in the naturally occurring iridium...

there are some steps towards this on the paper but you have to answer these questions before combining the answers to make the final answer.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me the method to this type of question. I don't want just the answer, otherwise I can't learn. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by _Ewinn_
x

You should solve these as simultaneous equations. See if you can write out the information you're given in equation form, and then refer to the detailed steps below if you get stuck.

Simultaneous equations

Reply 2
Original post by BJack
You should solve these as simultaneous equations. See if you can write out the information you're given in equation form, and then refer to the detailed steps below if you get stuck.

Simultaneous equations

Thank you for the help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest