The Student Room Group

Can I haggle on my car insurance renewal?

Ok I have my car insurance renewal and it's a whopping 70% cheaper than last year (my first year).

The thing is, this isn't include NCD protection. It's an extra £164 to protect my 1 years no claims.

So two questions:

Should I bother protecting it?

And do you think if I asked the insurance company to throw it in for free, or to round the price up to the nearest hundred they would let me have it? For example, my insurance could be £610, and with NCD protection is £774. I would offer a rounded figure of £700 to include NCD protection?

I just think it's a huge amount to pay to protect it (can I protect it else where?). Had anyone else attempted to 'haggle' with insurance companies?
Of course you can haggle.

But first of all, the worst thing to do is auto-renew. HAve you had a look around to see if you could get it cheaper?
Reply 2
Original post by flown_muse
Of course you can haggle.

But first of all, the worst thing to do is auto-renew. HAve you had a look around to see if you could get it cheaper?

Yes, but i'm currently with a black box company therefore the renewal quote is heavily based on my driving, so if I went somewhere else it would only be based on the details I give + 1 years no claims.
Original post by Runninground
Yes, but i'm currently with a black box company therefore the renewal quote is heavily based on my driving, so if I went somewhere else it would only be based on the details I give + 1 years no claims.

Have a look at this guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

It will give you the maximum chance of getting a cheap quote. It will only take you 5 minutes to run through the first site, and you have the option of getting quotes for normal insurance and black box insurance. So please, have a look, it won't cost you anything.

Otherwise, if yours is still the cheapest, phone them up, tell them you've been offered slightly less than you want, so for example, £670 with no claims protected. Tell them you'd prefer to stay with them for convenience, so can they try to meet that?
Reply 4
Original post by flown_muse
Have a look at this guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

It will give you the maximum chance of getting a cheap quote. It will only take you 5 minutes to run through the first site, and you have the option of getting quotes for normal insurance and black box insurance. So please, have a look, it won't cost you anything.

Otherwise, if yours is still the cheapest, phone them up, tell them you've been offered slightly less than you want, so for example, £670 with no claims protected. Tell them you'd prefer to stay with them for convenience, so can they try to meet that?

I was thinking about that but what if they ask the insurers name? They'd get suspicious if I said 'I don't want to say'? I think first i'll try to get the no claims included, if they do that then i'll try to get the voluntary excess reduced from £600 (!) to £400 or something.

So yeah, if they ask should I just give a random insurance company name?
Yeah, I just give a random name if asked, which to be honest is not often. Usually I just say 'I got a couple of quotes, they are coming in at X' and they hardly ever ask me which company. There's not really any reason for them to ask, it's not like they can check.
Reply 6
Really car insurance has a big issues now whether we take it first time or renewal time. Black box insurance reviews is a good way to avoid this type of things here.
Reply 7
I was thinking about that but what if they ask the insurers name? They'd get suspicious if I said 'I don't want to say'? I think first i'll try to get the no claims included, if they do that then i'll try to get the voluntary excess reduced from £600 (!) to £400 or something.

So yeah, if they ask should I just give a random insurance company name?

Just avoid using the name of a sister company to the one you are talking to i.e. Admiral, Bell and Diamond or Esure and Sheila's wheels. They have access to each others systems.
Ok I have my car insurance renewal and it's a whopping 70% cheaper than last year (my first year).

The thing is, this isn't include NCD protection. It's an extra £164 to protect my 1 years no claims.

So two questions:

Should I bother protecting it?

And do you think if I asked the insurance company to throw it in for free, or to round the price up to the nearest hundred they would let me have it? For example, my insurance could be £610, and with NCD protection is £774. I would offer a rounded figure of £700 to include NCD protection?

I just think it's a huge amount to pay to protect it (can I protect it else where?). Had anyone else attempted to 'haggle' with insurance companies?

Hi there,

Not sure if you're aware, but you can only protect a no claims bonus after 4 years no claims - you can't protect it after just one year.

Hope this helps with your decision :smile:
Reply 9
This thread is pretty old guys...

Original post by Adam D
Hi there,

Not sure if you're aware, but you can only protect a no claims bonus after 4 years no claims - you can't protect it after just one year.

Hope this helps with your decision :smile:

Are you sure? I protected my 1 years no claims.
Reply 10
Locked.

Latest