The Student Room Group

Are parents allowed to stay overnight inside halls?

Is This is allowed? , I sure hope not cos that would be a major killjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
why would they even want to?
Reply 2
Original post by ChildishHambino
why would they even want to?

Long journey and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Would a hotel be a better option ?
Reply 4
Original post by A.Mustapha
Would a hotel be a better option ?

Probably but im just curious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Meh...i had mine crash over a few times (long journey).

We had a Hall rule book that was probably written in the 1930's - nobody allowed to stay overnight, guests must sign in, swords must be left at reception, no top hats indoors. That kind of thing.

Nobody gave a crap.

If your parents are cool with the idea, i dare say nobody else will give a toss. You wouldn't think twice before inviting a mate over for a few days - why are parents any different, especially for 1 night? Get them involved - they can probably roll a better joint than you lot ;-)

edit: I probably wouldn't do it in my first ever week at uni - that would be a bit odd, but after that, all bets are off. edit 2: I had a HUGE room with enough room to sleep a small army. If they're driving you down for Day - 0 to help you settle in to uni, return the favour and buy them a night in a B&B!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
The rules depend on your halls and uni. Some halls will only allow one person at a time, some have a max number of days, some require you to sign them in etc etc.

However, I have never heard of parents staying over at halls (though I guess it probably has happened at least once somewhere). For a start it would be very cramped, secondly it would be awkward as you'd have to spend the time worrying about whether they were ok and introducing them when you really want to be meeting new people (assuming you're talking about move in day here, later on in the year would be a bit less unusual and would make a bit more sense).

The usual thing is if parents don't have time to travel there and back in one day they stay in a hotel or b&b. Unis sometimes have their own hotel style accommodation which they can use.

xxx
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends on the policy of each hall, but if your parents want to stay and you don't want them to then tell them it's against the rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by James Lucifer
Is This is allowed? , I sure hope not cos that would be a major killjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes but there is only one bed, usually a single, do they really want to sleep on the floor?
not to mention there really isn't room in halls really tiny rooms slightly smaller than a police cell
I think that it probably is allowed; anyone can stay overnight.

Trying to read between the lines... if you're worried that your new flatmates' parents are going to be hanging around when you're trying to get to know them, don't worry because most parents either leave as soon as they've helped unpack, or after taking their kid out for food. If someones parents stay overnight, everyone would probably think that they're a bit babyish; it wouldn't do them much good basically and most parents know this.
Reply 11
Original post by brabzzz

We had a Hall rule book that was probably written in the 1930's - nobody allowed to stay overnight, guests must sign in, swords must be left at reception, no top hats indoors. That kind of thing.

Nobody gave a crap.

If your parents are cool with the idea, i dare say nobody else will give a toss. You wouldn't think twice before inviting a mate over for a few days - why are parents any different, especially for 1 night? Get them involved - they can probably roll a better joint than you lot ;-)

edit: I probably wouldn't do it in my first ever week at uni - that would be a bit odd, but after that, all bets are off. edit 2: I had a HUGE room with enough room to sleep a small army. If they're driving you down for Day - 0 to help you settle in to uni, return the favour and buy them a night in a B&B!

So did anyone turn up to reception with a sword? I would of just for the Lols

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hotel / B&B is the only answer - Mother will realise that the offspring needs their own space and does not need mother in tow.

Mother also will need a large gin and offspring might be shocked by maternal boozing. :wink:
To be honest, most halls rooms are far to small to have two overnight guests stay in them, and I doubt many parents would enjoy sleeping on the floor! It is unlikely halls will have specific rules for parents though, if guests are allowed, they are allowed.

They should be aware of where they are staying, and not make life difficult for the permenant residents, though.
Tell them they can't anyway, you will look an idiot if your parents stay with you in halls night one.
Original post by kumori
So did anyone turn up to reception with a sword? I would of just for the Lols

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by brabzzz

Nobody gave a crap.

Has your uni got a fencing society. I bet they would get a bit annoyed with that rule.

More to the point, it would foil some of their plans and I doubt they'd be epée at all about it.

Quick Reply

Latest