Turn on thread page Beta

Identity confirmation problems for student loan. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

A question I hope someone will know or have advice for?

I am applying for a Tuition Fee Loan from the SFE for my degree in Psychology through the Open University.

I left this until the last minute - no excuses other than I woke up one day after many months of doubting my ability (which I still do, but never mind) and decided to enrol.

Because I can't pay upfront and am entitled to a loan (never studied HE, or applied/used a student loan before) I applied - late (10 days ago) but was told it should still happen.

Problem 1) Don't have a valid passport.
    Problem 2) Parents lost my birth certificate (somehow have managed to get through without for two years). Request it from the office and pay for quick delivery.
    Problem 3) Need to find countersignature. Rack my brains, find a few people but find they are either retired, not under UK passport, do not have a passport or don't actually quite qualify for "important people" list.

I am one hurdle away from being able to try and achieve my dreams - I have a place on the course and OU are waiting for funds.

My final problem is this. I have found someone - she is a nurse and works as one. She's known me 6+ years and is not related or living with me. She has a PASSPORT!

BUT - the passport is in her maiden name. She got married in 2009 and hasn't been abroad since (last holiday was honeymoon) and thus hasn't changed her passport name.

Obviously work (she's actually on maternity leave but going back this month) know her under her married name. I don't want her to get wrong with work or with the Passport Office as I know they can take passports away for something they deem fraudulent. Can she identify me with her passport bearing maiden name but actual name being different? If not, can she choose to identify herself as Ms S Maiden Name to line up with passport?

I'm so confused, and so near to this - it means so much to me as I have a severe illness and need something to look forward to!

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    This is tricky. My advice is to keep it as simple for student finance as possible, they get confused easily. So your nurse friend might not be a good idea. Some GPs will sign, although mine wouldn't . If all else fails try to find a limited company in your area and sweet talk the manager. Also if I remember rightly aren't pub landlords eligible too, if they are get down your local. in this situation the 3 years rule goes out of the window.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.