Obesity is a disease Watch

sufferin succotash
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The problems of being overweight and obese is like a disease ! Discuss. Do you agree or agree to disagree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
amyshamblesxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cake IS highly addictive.
Siggie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sufferin succotash)
The problems of being overweight and obese is like a disease ! Discuss. Do you agree or agree to disagree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No its a by product of being idle.
Charlzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its a symptom of over eating. I think over eating is more of a disease and it can be very hard to recover from. It does not work just losing weight if you do not treat the real cause of the obesity - which can be various things such as over eating and comfort eating
punani
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Telling obese people that they should just exercise more and stop eating so much crap is just like telling a drug addict to "just stop doing drugs." In fact, foods containing fat and sugar have been shown to be more addictive than heroin. The real reason why nothing is done about this is due to the massive profits multi-national corporations make and the lobbying power they have.

Governments are either bought off by these companies or intimidated by them. If you really believe we just need to send jamie oliver in with his "pucker tucker" bulls***, then you are extremely deluded.
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No excuse fatties, get runnin'! You're costing the taxpayer with your irresponsible eating habits.
Pennyarcade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Disagree. Its your fault you're fat, go out and deal with it rather than blaming it on a 'disease'
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you are lonely and resort to 'comfort eating' then obesity, and therefore feel the need to eat constantly, then obesity becomes psychological, but still should be addressed. If you just like eating because you like the taste of food then it's definitely not a disease, the person should get themselves to the gym or try dieting, or even consult their GP. It depends on the underlying causes of said person being obese.
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At its worst, obesity is a byproduct of a psychological condition. So no, I don't think it can be considered a disease.
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW)
If you are lonely and resort to 'comfort eating' then obesity, and therefore feel the need to eat constantly, then obesity becomes psychological, but still should be addressed. If you just like eating because you like the taste of food then it's definitely not a disease, the person should get themselves to the gym or try dieting, or even consult their GP. It depends on the underlying causes of said person being obese.
Even then, the obesity itself is a side effect of the psychological condition. Obesity isn't the issue.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chihiro95)
Even then, the obesity itself is a side effect of the psychological condition. Obesity isn't the issue.
You mean thinking food taste nice is psychological condition, or do you mean comfort eating?
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You mean thinking food taste nice is psychological condition, or do you mean comfort eating?
The part where you alluded to comfort eating aka Binge-eating disorder.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The part where you alluded to comfort eating aka Binge-eating disorder.
Yes, I know comfort eating is a psychological disorder, I said that, it was the latter that I said wasn't a disease, but the fault of the person.
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I know comfort eating is a psychological disorder, I said that, it was the latter that I said wasn't a disease, but the fault of the person.
"If you are lonely and resort to 'comfort eating' then obesity, and therefore feel the need to eat constantly, then obesity becomes psychological."

I know, I was referring to the flaw in this sentence. Obesity can never be psychological. Someone can have binge-eating disorder and fall within the 'healthy' weight category.
DavidYorkshireFTW
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"If you are lonely and resort to 'comfort eating' then obesity, and therefore feel the need to eat constantly, then obesity becomes psychological."

I know, I was referring to the flaw in this sentence. Obesity can never be psychological. Someone can have binge-eating disorder and fall within the 'healthy' weight category.
I know obesity is a category which is marked by ones BMI, what I was trying to convey was that when you become obese, due to comfort eating, a psychological disorder is the underlying problem, causing the excess eating, which in turn has caused obesity.
Chihiro95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know obesity is a category which is marked by ones BMI, what I was trying to convey was that when you become obese, due to comfort eating, a psychological disorder is the underlying problem, causing the excess eating, which in turn has caused obesity.
Just felt like being a pedant.
Plainview
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, it sure is hereditary.
usernme_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
likes food -and bad willpower
hslakaal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well it's been labelled a disease by the AMA, just to throw it out there.

Personally, I think it's a symptom not a disease.
Bloxorus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
Well, it sure is hereditary.
But most of that is basically parents passing on bad eating habits and bringing their kids up on junk food. Obesity itself isn't hereditary, it's the lifestyle that is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.28%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.44%
No, but I want to start (276)
37.45%
No, I am unable to (177)
24.02%
No, I chose not to (205)
27.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise