ATC v ATCO Watch

Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, while I'm not actively looking to join the Armed Forces (and may not even be able to), I have looked into a career in air traffic controlling. Upon looking at the RAF careers website I notice that air traffic controllers seem to (at least initially) get paid more than their officer counterparts. My question is: Why is this? It doesn't make sense to me but I'm presuming there's some reason or explanation.
teasin_tina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Doc.Daneeka)
So, while I'm not actively looking to join the Armed Forces (and may not even be able to), I have looked into a career in air traffic controlling. Upon looking at the RAF careers website I notice that air traffic controllers seem to (at least initially) get paid more than their officer counterparts. My question is: Why is this? It doesn't make sense to me but I'm presuming there's some reason or explanation.
The wage you see is what is what you earn AFTER phase 2 training. The difference is AT controller you earn less and spend longer training as you go straight in as a SNCO, you earn a higher wage when fully trained but your wage doesn't generally increase much more as a rank.
As an officer you earn less once passed phase two training but over time your wage will increase much higher over time.

If wage is the important factor you'll earn more as an officer as you climb the ranks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by teasin_tina)
The wage you see is what is what you earn AFTER phase 2 training. The difference is AT controller you earn less and spend longer training as you go straight in as a SNCO, you earn a higher wage when fully trained but your wage doesn't generally increase much more as a rank.
As an officer you earn less once passed phase two training but over time your wage will increase much higher over time.

If wage is the important factor you'll earn more as an officer as you climb the ranks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wage is definitely a factor, but so is the potential seniority leading from the role. Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (18)
31.03%
No (40)
68.97%

Watched Threads