?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
----
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have a Letts AS revision guide which I bought myself, now it's only good for P2 and my M1 resit. We also have these handouts that our teacher made himself, which are very thorough. Still I think I'll try and purchase the A2 brother of the Letts guide though I'll only need it for P3 and S2 (don't think it'll cover P6).
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
I've just checked now, and Letts Revise A2 Mathematics does not cover AQA P6, I'm afraid.
Shame. Good job I have that fat 100+ page handout. I won't even get a B in P6 anyway so no point
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
I don't work as well in pure maths than in mechanics. The thing about Pure is that it generally doesn't make intuitive sense. In mechanics, I learn that for instance momentum is proportional to speed and mass and I know that it's right as I read it. In pure I learn the double angle formula and I just see a formula. That means I have to sit down and memorise it and that I need to know it for the exam or I'm stuck.

In P4 I had to completely skip a question on the graphs of a circle because I failed to revise it beforehand, and consequently got a borderline C grade that brought my overall maths grade to a B. :mad:
In Mechanics I could at least begin to answer a question on an unfamiliar topic.
I've seen the proof of the double angles but not looked at it properly so I haven't grasped it either. I find them easy to remember apart from the tan versions. Good job they're in the formula book.

You did P4 for maths as opposed to further maths?!
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I totally agree, Mechanics is probably the best part of the maths course (if you ignore the Physics lot who know everything already) and a lot easier to learn. My teacher keeps insisting that Pure is "exciting".. hmm..

By the way- I'm using SMP 16-19 books and ME1 books (<-- but that's mostly for the edexcel syllabus) Would you recommend the Letts revision books?
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
I totally agree, Mechanics is probably the best part of the maths course (if you ignore the Physics lot who know everything already) and a lot easier to learn. My teacher keeps insisting that Pure is "exciting".. hmm..

By the way- I'm using SMP 16-19 books and ME1 books (<-- but that's mostly for the edexcel syllabus. Do you recommend the Letts revision books?
I think pure maths is fun to be honest, same with M1 but I struggled to grasp it at first. I prefer statistics, it's just number-crunching.

And I do recommend the Letts books as revision guides, but you'll need more questions than they offer you for a decent level of practice.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
I think pure maths is fun to be honest, same with M1 but I struggled to grasp it at first. I prefer statistics, it's just number-crunching.

And I do recommend the Letts books as revision guides, but you'll need more questions than they offer you for a decent level of practice.
That's ok, as long as they explain theory better than the SMP books..

fun? ..lol, I'll remeber that when I'm freaking out in the Pure exam
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
That's ok, as long as they explain theory better than the SMP books..

fun? ..lol, I'll remeber that when I'm freaking out in the Pure exam
Apologies it's just fun getting that feeling when you crack a maths problem, that's why I've gone with maths over economics for uni. And it's great to bury your head in maths when times are hard. You want to do law, you wouldn't understand
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Apologies it's just fun getting that feeling when you crack a maths problem, that's why I've gone with maths over economics for uni. And it's great to bury your head in maths when times are hard. You want to do law, you wouldn't understand
lol! ...and that's why Mathematicians are so eccentric.. the subject makes crazy (don't say you weren't warned!)
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
lol! ...and that's why Mathematicians are so eccentric.. the subject makes crazy (don't say you weren't warned!)
Too late

I prefer eccentric to lunatic, it's more endearing...
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes that "feeling" made me apply to do Maths and Economics...i think they r both fun ;/
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (24)
16.78%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (23)
16.08%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (29)
20.28%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (56)
39.16%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (4)
2.8%
No particular grades needed (7)
4.9%