The Student Room Group

Need some advice about starting university in a few weeks or taking a year out.

So, my university course starts on the 23rd and I'm about to put a deposit down on accommodation, however, I can't bring myself to do it.

I ended up at a university through clearing, and it's really not where I want to go at all, but I have no other options. Other places I could get into didn't have my course, and I don't want to change course.

I only completed two A levels and 4 AS levels over three years of college due to personal and health reasons and moving colleges etc, and I can't go back to resit for personal reasons again.

I'm not sure whether to take a gap year out or not so I can decide what I want to do, because no matter what I do for the year, I'm going to be in the same situation as I am now but for a whole year. The courses aren't going to change and the grades boundaries aren't going to get any lower, so I won't be able to apply anywhere else, and the place I'm at now is discontinuing my course after this year so I won't even be able to get this place.

I'm not excited for university at all, and it's been stressing and upsetting me since results day, I can't sleep or eat properly, or be motivated for anything. Before hand, I couldn't wait to go! I had all my stuff ready to go and now I just don't want to. But I haven't got any other options.

I want a degree, and I need a degree for the job I want - which I have to get before I'm 25/26 or I've missed out. I don't want to get a job for a year, because that just means I'll be advanced financially, but not anything that will get me to university.

My friends and family are annoyed at me for not being able to decide, but this is 3 years of my life ahead of me that I want but don't want - I understand I should try it to see if I like it, but I'll probably end up dropping out by Christmas and then I've wasted my student loans and any chance of going for more years.

I was thinking about doing a year and trying to transfer or moving to another university to do first year again, but is it worth it? I don't mind the loans, but I don't want to hit the point where I have to pay upfront and lose my loans.

Please can some one give me some advice. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
You just sound like you will drop out, can you give more detail please. What course are you studying, and what do you intend on doing with the degree, also have you considered foundation year at somewhere you like? Don't rush into a decision you know you aren't likely to stick with, because dropping out is much worse than a gap year whatever your parents think/say.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ElChapo
You just sound like you will drop out, can you give more detail please. What course are you studying, and what do you intend on doing with the degree, also have you considered foundation year at somewhere you like? Don't rush into a decision you know you aren't likely to stick with, because dropping out is much worse than a gap year whatever your parents think/say.

Thanks for replying
I'm studying History and Politics. I would like to be an Army Officer and then get a job somewhere in politics, but I'm really turning to the politics careers more recently.
I have considered a foundation course, but there were only 3 places I could choose from that did foundation, two of them being a full year of how to take notes and use spreadsheets. I mean, I got an A in A level history, surely I know how to takes notes? I think it's a difficult decision to take too because if I can get into first year at some places, I don't see why I'd have to do foundation else where, if you understand? :/

I understand, but I don't think I could get a job for a year. I doubt I'd find one that would aswell just take me for a year.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 3
Original post by 36CrazyfistsFay
Thanks for replying
I'm studying History and Politics. I would like to be an Army Officer and then get a job somewhere in politics, but I'm really turning to the politics careers more recently.
I have considered a foundation course, but there were only 3 places I could choose from that did foundation, two of them being a full year of how to take notes and use spreadsheets. I mean, I got an A in A level history, surely I know how to takes notes? I think it's a difficult decision to take too because if I can get into first year at some places, I don't see why I'd have to do foundation else where, if you understand? :/

I understand, but I don't think I could get a job for a year. I doubt I'd find one that would aswell just take me for a year.

Thanks for your help.

The trick is to tell employers nothing about your plans, convince them you're ready for a lifetime of employment with them :tongue:

Also I suggested the foundation year as you didn't sound 100 percent sure about your university, I thought this might've been a way for access to other places but I completely understand not wanting to take a foundation year.

If you do really well in your first year it will be good for if you choose to transfer elsewhere if you were considering that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take a gap year. You sound like you'll drop out anyway, to be honest. Plus, if the department is about to close and that's why the degree is being discontinued, then moralewill be really low and the good staff will all be leaving, which will restrict module choice as time goes on.

Do have a look for universities that will accept 2 AS levels in lieu of one of your A2 grades, and don't forget that you can always email admissions tutors to ask. With appropriate mitigating circumstances, they may be more lenient in that respect.

There's also an article on the front page of TSR (on the pods), written by me, that discusses whether it's better to take a Clearing place that is imperfect or take a gap year, so you may like to read that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending