The Student Room Group

urgent advice needed on a level choices

hi,

Are these good a level choices im choosing 3 for AS and A2

Computer Science

ICT

Government and politics

and i plan to do something with computers in university.

also will the universities hate me for choosing 2 similar subjects?
Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
I would personally change ict to maths. This is because ict at a level isn't highly regarded to universities, also in addition maths will be very handy for doing computer science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by LRC4321
I would personally change ict to maths. This is because ict at a level isn't highly regarded to universities, also in addition maths will be very handy for doing computer science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol i got C for gcse and i need A to get in maths. so i cant get in. are those subjects ok then
If you got C in maths, maybe computer science isn't for you?
Reply 6
Original post by Blake-inator
If you got C in maths, maybe computer science isn't for you?

well i had 40 % attendence and done no revision thats how i got C lol

and yh i love hacking n stuff and programming so i love computer sci
Original post by Shadow-X
hi,

Are these good a level choices im choosing 3 for AS and A2

Computer Science

ICT

Government and politics

and i plan to do something with computers in university.

also will the universities hate me for choosing 2 similar subjects?
It's a very narrow range and will limit you in what you can apply for. I'd advise something in place of either ICT or computer science, especially if you are only doing 3 subjects.
Reply 8
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's a very narrow range and will limit you in what you can apply for. I'd advise something in place of either ICT or computer science, especially if you are only doing 3 subjects.

wat kind of stuff can i apply for im looking for computer type degrees.

and yh i cant find anything else instead of ict n computer sci.
Original post by Shadow-X
wat kind of stuff can i apply for im looking for computer type degrees.

and yh i cant find anything else instead of ict n computer sci.

I suggest you have a look at the requirements of the courses you might be interested in to get an idea of what they are looking for. Whilst knowing a lot about computers is obviously going to be useful, too much overlap in subjects may be a disadvantage if they think you haven't demonstrated enough breadth of knowledge generally. I also suggest you try posting in the computer science forum to ask the advice of students already doing the course.
Reply 10
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I suggest you have a look at the requirements of the courses you might be interested in to get an idea of what they are looking for. Whilst knowing a lot about computers is obviously going to be useful, too much overlap in subjects may be a disadvantage if they think you haven't demonstrated enough breadth of knowledge generally. I also suggest you try posting in the computer science forum to ask the advice of students already doing the course.

i checked requirements they only need 3 a levels which are BBB or AAB

and i aint going to cambridge but a normal uni so is it ok. i aint applying for those top top ones.

thx for advice.

Quick Reply

Latest