Give Blood/Marrow Watch

This discussion is closed.
lucerna
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
ive heard if the shringe hits a nerve it can leave some1 paralised for life. well this is true for a caserian when a child is born as they have to inject into the spine then so im guessing its the same
THe vein in your arm is a bit different to your spinal cord - i'm pretty sure there's no risk of that whatsoever. Its probably the cause of that pins and needles feeling, however.

Generally they take the needle out straightaway if there's a problem though.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
ive heard if the shringe hits a nerve it can leave some1 paralised for life. well this is true for a caserian when a child is born as they have to inject into the spine then so im guessing its the same
Yup, if it does you could have paralysis in that. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to have that happen at ur arm though as the needle would either have to go quite deep and/or ur nerve in that bit would have to be taking an unusual path down to your wrist.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Hey, just wondering
a) how you got working for the NBS
b) whether you were trained as a phlebotomist
c) how you got into afore mentioned training

basically i need something to do for the summer (i only have 6 weeks, and it'd be useful if i could take blood before i get to clinical school)
J
It was a bid to support myself while writing my thesis - I worked as a MLSO/ATO mix! All lab based.

Have you thought about contacting the staff bank at your local hospital? I have friends that did the phelob thing over the summer before starting med school.

Also try contacting the NBS Cambridge Centre and ask about joining one of the 'teams' - the mobile blood removal services!!! they're usually crying out for people and as a medical student I'm sure you would be a desirable asset to them!

Good Luck!
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Not really at 5'6 and just under 8 stone I [i]need[i] to put on weight!
As you're over 7.5 stone, you should be allowed to donate.
shazza
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have given blood a few times, but stopped going due to problems I had. my blood is strangely thick, and the donation took 40 minutes. They always struggled to find a good vein in my arm, so would take a couple of attempts to get me started. I think it was due to the length and number of prods, I felt very feint afterwards, and weak for 3-5 days afterwards. I would love to donate still, but cannot if I will keep feeling like that. I get the letters through regularly, asking me to come and donate, and i feel sooo guilty.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
It was a bid to support myself while writing my thesis - I worked as a MLSO/ATO mix! All lab based.

Have you thought about contacting the staff bank at your local hospital? I have friends that did the phelob thing over the summer before starting med school.

Also try contacting the NBS Cambridge Centre and ask about joining one of the 'teams' - the mobile blood removal services!!! they're usually crying out for people and as a medical student I'm sure you would be a desirable asset to them!

Good Luck!
How long does it take before you can take blood competently? I have visions of me spending weeks trying to find a vein and then jabbing the near-by muscle by mistake!
Sa-ra-ra-ra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
How long does it take before you can take blood competently? I have visions of me spending weeks trying to find a vein and then jabbing the near-by muscle by mistake!
well, phlobotomists are given two days training. So not very long, apparently.

I need to give blood again, the blood service have been harassing me for my blood recently. However, my doctor thinks i'm borderline anaemic, so i'll have to take a wander down to find out if i can. I think the pinprick test actually hurts more than the blood donating itself And they have issues taking my blood too, in blood tests they've resorted to taking it from the back of my hand before. Very painful. And last time i gave blood, it took them 20mins to find a vein and then gave up after i'd given a half donation. Grr again.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
As you're over 7.5 stone, you should be allowed to donate.
I filled in a form on the website, got a letter, now im waiting for another letter about when I can go in. The website didn't ask me for my weight though
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i went to donate blood and the *******s wouldnt let me!!!! was really humilating having to walk out and hte whole of reception knowing i had been turned away... they all seemed to assume it was cos i was a prostitute or something. they woulkdnt even give me a proper reason why not, some bull about me not being a stable enough individual!!?!
Little Britain
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fifi53)
i went to donate blood and the *******s wouldnt let me!!!! was really humilating having to walk out and hte whole of reception knowing i had been turned away... they all seemed to assume it was cos i was a prostitute or something. they woulkdnt even give me a proper reason why not, some bull about me not being a stable enough individual!!?!
Not everyone can give blood, I have tried but I can't either, I am a bit squemish about needles anyway and it takes me weeks to get the courage to go. When I went before Xmas they turned me away because I have had a tattoo in the last year. Before that apparently my blood pressure was too low, before that they couldn't get a vein. I will try again in another couple of months.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
can i just say two things
1 i really want to give blood but cant because i'm anemic
2 there are lots of perfectly healthy people who are not allowed to give blood because the are gay regardless of wether or not they have tested negative for HIV and STIs (this applies to men only)
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
We had a practice session on plastic arms in one of our procedures sessions last term. It was damn easy and I got it out first time, thought not everyone did. However, the "veins" were right under the skin and were pieces of plastic tubing; very easy to feel and follow. Something tells me real people aren't going to be like that! What really worries me, after seeing the SHOs trying to do it on my work exp, is taking blood gas samples, which have to come from the radial artery :eek: - a lot more difficult and more painful to find!

(Original post by fifi53)
i went to donate blood and the *******s wouldnt let me!!!! was really humilating having to walk out and hte whole of reception knowing i had been turned away... they all seemed to assume it was cos i was a prostitute or something.
That's silly - there are tons of reasons why you can't give blood that are totally legitimate. I got rejected last time cos I'd just come back from Mexico. Now I'm going to have to wait even longer because I had glandular fever, but I don't think they judge you because of that!
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
Girls are great at 5ft 6 and under 8 stone

CAUTION to all girls watching: Kurdt Morello was being typically lad like and obviously didn't realise what he was saying. If a girl is 5ft 6 and under 8 stone she is drastically under weight and should seek to put on weight.
I know you didn't mean it to cause trouble or anything but I just thought I would confirm that this would be an un-healthy weight and no girls should aspire to it!
Thanks

x o x
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissSmile)
CAUTION to all girls watching: Kurdt Morello was being typically lad like and obviously didn't realise what he was saying. If a girl is 5ft 6 and under 8 stone she is drastically under weight and should seek to put on weight.
I know you didn't mean it to cause trouble or anything but I just thought I would confirm that this would be an un-healthy weight and no girls should aspire to it!
Thanks

x o x
Hardly drastically underweight. Maybe a little. Just because some people are a little insecure doesn't mean we should be encouraging obesity
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissSmile)
Thanks

x o x
Hey i didnt mean to cause offence - some girls do look good like that - maybe over 8 stone is better - say 8 1/2 stone who cares what this 'lad' says anyway?
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
brown hair, hazel eyes, 5'6 34c = best
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Hardly drastically underweight. Maybe a little. Just because some people are a little insecure doesn't mean we should be encouraging obesity
If a girl is 5ft4 and 9 stone she's classed as underweight, so I think it'd be fair to say someone 5ft6 and under 8stone is pretty drastically underweight!
And I would hardly say anyone here's encouraging obesity. I'm not tryin to cause a debate or anything, just ensure that some girl looking at this doesn't think 's**t im 5ft 6 and no where near 8 stone..right better loose weight etc' just tryin to be nice

x o x
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DazYa13)
brown hair, hazel eyes, 5'6 34c = best
what happens if she isnt pretty?
LittleMissSmile
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey i didnt mean to cause offence - some girls do look good like that - maybe over 8 stone is better - say 8 1/2 stone who cares what this 'lad' says anyway?

xo x
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what happens if she isnt pretty?
What relevance does this have to giving blood and bone marrow?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (24)
17.02%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (22)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (29)
20.57%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (56)
39.72%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (3)
2.13%
No particular grades needed (7)
4.96%